What is this? How old?

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have not been on for a while, I found something recently I wanted to show you all. I found it at a thrift store, and it looks very old. Made completely out of metal, and very heavy. I think it's an antique of some kind.

20190421_084557.jpg

On the handle, it says L F&C New Britain Conn USA. On the side it says Universal with a big number 2.

The best thing I can come up with so far is that it's a meat grinder. What do you guys think? How old do you think it is?

I bought it for $10, by the way.

Jared

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sausage grinder

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it's a sausage grinder huh? Thanks for telling me. Is there a way of telling how old it is?

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standard hand crank meat grinder, they still sell them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I didn't know they still sold these. I got a little confused when I was on the internet looking at pictures. Each picture I looked at told me it was a vintage antique. To be honest, I was a little confused, and I did not know if this was true or not. Came here to see if it really wasn't antique or not.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out. Antique or not, it's still an interesting find. I actually needed one of these anyway, because I grind my own meat after I go hunting. So, antique or not, it's still a good find for me.

Upvote 0

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used one like that when I was a kid. When I got old and wiser, I bought myself an electric grinder.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These were not just for meat. They came with several different "burrs". For coconut, nuts, cheese and more. The one you have is a newer one 40'/50's. 10 bucks is about top price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the help.

Jared

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Landers, Frary & Clark was a housewares company based in New Britain, Connecticut. It operated from 1865 until its assets were sold to the General Electric company in 1965. Some of the non-electric kitchenware assets were acquired from G.E. in 1984 by Universal Housewares, Inc./Universal Trading, Inc., who still market "Universal" meat grinders and coffee mills.
Source: Wiki
Don......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Mackaydon, That's very useful info. Thanks so much for sharing that! I really enjoyed reading it.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Grinder ...yep.

Blades matter as to versatility.

Ground ring bologna with pickles ect. for sandwich spread was one use when I was a kid.

The stuff you want to grind like shoulders and shanks on a deer have lots of silverskin ect. unless you spend hours trimming.
Without very sharp blades and running it through a couple times with different sized openings in plates , you'll probably wind up holding a sharp knife at the exit end to try and reduce snarls. Been there.....

If you decide to make sausage or blend stuff with high fat content , chill your grinder in the freezer first.
When it starts to warm , chill it again.

Resist temptation to hook a big electric motor up to it after your first ten pounds of grinds.....

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes my experience in using these with deer meat has never yielded good results.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190420_165525.jpg

Thanks for the advice. It already grinds pretty well. This is a package of deer meat that I ground up. came from a deer I took in 2018. Didn't have any problems.

Jared

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread