What's new

what is this? Indian axe head or something else?

codyc

Greenie
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need help finding out what this is. I found it in south Texas along with 12-15 arrowheads and abunch of broken ones. Is it an axe head or something else. You can tell it has clearly been chipped but I'm unsure what it is. It is roughly 4 inches long by 3 inches wide and the non-chipped part is very smooth.
 

Attachments

  • 2012-11-27_08.34.50.webp
    2012-11-27_08.34.50.webp
    195.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 2012-11-27_08.34.35.webp
    2012-11-27_08.34.35.webp
    309.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 2012-11-27_08.35.04.webp
    2012-11-27_08.35.04.webp
    95.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0
I need help finding out what this is. I found it in south Texas along with 12-15 arrowheads and abunch of broken ones. Is it an axe head or something else. You can tell it has clearly been chipped but I'm unsure what it is. It is roughly 4 inches long by 3 inches wide and the non-chipped part is very smooth.

I'd say its a butcher/chopper type tool. Esp. if you found it in such an artifact concentrated area. Its nice material. I like that piece. Nice find.
 
thanks alot, I havent thought of it being a chopper type tool.
 
what exactly is a jafur?
 
I know this is a long shot but is there any way of telling what time period its from?
 
codyc said:
I know this is a long shot but is there any way of telling what time period its from?

What kind of points did you find they might help determine the age of the tool
 
More than likely a Chopper used to break open Bones to get to the Marrow inside. You can find those on almost every camp or village site. They weren't pretty but they were very functional for their purpose.

Also, I think a JAFUR stands for Just A F#*^ing Ugly Rock. But I could be wrong.
 
More than likely a Chopper used to break open Bones to get to the Marrow inside. You can find those on almost every camp or village site. They weren't pretty but they were very functional for their purpose.

Also, I think a JAFUR stands for Just A F#*^ing Ugly Rock. But I could be wrong.

lmao could be wrong
 
most of the arrowheads I found are small 1-1.5in and some have oval bases while some have flat bases. I will post a picture of them later.
 
Welcome aboard
 
Welcome aboard! One mean looking, bone smashing, Rock! :icon_thumright:
Okay, now lets see the points?
 
Since you have asked "What Is This?", you have opened the door to both positive and negative commentaries.

Having said that, a person can find any number of water-worn rocks of a similar shape that are just that, a water-worn rock.

What is shown is a portion of the same...which does not necessarily mean it was an actual tool.

If I were to catalog this rock (stone) into a collection, I would utilize the same reasoning by questioning its validity...

And if its found inscribed within a cluster of arrowheads, say a 2' X 2' grid, as opposed to a large field, it may or may not attribute to its assumed relationship...

Are the arrowheads a dropped cluster or the result an open-field hunting adventure?
 
Very valid inquiry.
 
No, all of what I found were in about a 300-400 yd stretch and actually on a road we made. The ground is real sandy so everyday the wind blows the sand shiffs in different areas and I find new stuff.
 
Since you have asked "What Is This?", you have opened the door to both positive and negative commentaries.

Having said that, a person can find any number of water-worn rocks of a similar shape that are just that, a water-worn rock.

What is shown is a portion of the same...which does not necessarily mean it was an actual tool.


If I were to catalog this rock (stone) into a collection, I would utilize the same reasoning by questioning its validity...

And if its found inscribed within a cluster of arrowheads, say a 2' X 2' grid, as opposed to a large field, it may or may not attribute to its assumed relationship...

Are the arrowheads a dropped cluster or the result an open-field hunting adventure?

Stefan, you are correct that it is a water worn rock, but it also has obviously had an edge flaked on one end and that makes it a tool. Or at the very least an artifact since it was altered by man. It may have never actually been used and they may have just been flaking it to see what the material was inside and decided it wasn't worth the effort and tossed it back down.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom