✅ SOLVED What is this?!

MariaQ

Aug 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little item caught my attention in the cabinet of a charity shop a while back. But I'm yet to find out what it is or what its for! Engraved on the back are the initials 'D.R.G.M' which I've done my research and found lots about the registration, but can't find anything about the actual item, someone help?
WP_001672.jpg WP_001676.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MQ, I see this is your first post, welcome to tnet.
I may not be no where near the ballpark, but at first glance, it looks like a personal ashtray (?)? Perhaps for cigar smoker?
Try a google or yahoo image search, I didn't see anything "exactly" like it, but others may know. (oh, I searched vintage personal ashtray, try also, portable pocket ashtray, words along those lines....)

Maybe a few measurements would help others target in. Also, on the ends in that second pic, does that clip/holder thing on the right end bend over or are there moving parts? Is that a compartment perhaps for matches on the lid? Also, how's that middle thing come up? It looks more intricate than what your pics show.
Thanks for sharing, hope someone can help you more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It is part of a sharpening syster for a razor. I use to have one. The razor was called the Rolls Razor. The case is aluminum, on one side is the sharpening stone, which is broken on yours; and on the other side is the red leather strop. I haven't seen one in app. 13 years. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg On secnd glance, the Rolls had an automatic back and forth sharpening set up that that one lacks. Perhaps an earlier model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rolls Razor model: Imperial No. 2 in closed chrome plated case with the meander decoration

Rolls Razor open case. The blade handle on the left is attached to the honing mechanism lever via a spring-loaded bearing. The nickel plated blade on the right side is attached to the honing bar that slides on the red leather strop. The grey honing stone is part of the closing lid. The leather strop and the hone lids are not interchangeable as the blade needs to push against the hone but pull against the strop. The blade has a safety guard with pivot action that allows it to vary the shaving angle while providing safe operation. The head of the blade handle locks perpendicular to the blade using a slide type of action with the spring-loaded bearing providing additional stability

Rolls Razor Limited was a British company known for its manufacture of a sophisticated safety-razor and an "affordable" twin-tub washing machine.

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Rolls Razor model: Imperial No. 2 in closed chrome plated case with the meander decoration

Rolls Razor open case. The blade handle on the left is attached to the honing mechanism lever via a spring-loaded bearing. The nickel plated blade on the right side is attached to the honing bar that slides on the red leather strop. The grey honing stone is part of the closing lid. The leather strop and the hone lids are not interchangeable as the blade needs to push against the hone but pull against the strop. The blade has a safety guard with pivot action that allows it to vary the shaving angle while providing safe operation. The head of the blade handle locks perpendicular to the blade using a slide type of action with the spring-loaded bearing providing additional stability

Rolls Razor Limited was a British company known for its manufacture of a sophisticated safety-razor and an "affordable" twin-tub washing machine.

That's a version of the rolls I had. Looks like they had some competition! Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread