What is this??

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock/artifact, no idea what to make of it. :icon_scratch:
Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated.

A little bit about it: It looks like a rock, the checkered pattern looks like its metal plated, the blue material/mineral reacts to UV light. The survace has a V and is smooth, some sort of material different than the rest of the rock. There are holes in the corners of the checkered pattern and on the reverse there is a black crust. It does not respond to a magnet.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/20p51zt.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2edzjoz.jpg
http://oi63.tinypic.com/1rx6z4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was turquoise too until I put it under a blacklight. it glows! IMG_0876.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its something... wish I knew what though... maybe space ship who knows haha

Upvote 0

tjb200

Jun 16, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
maybe Hemimorphite. it is light blue and glows a bluish white under black light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could explain the blue mineral! But there are still too many enigmas.
IMG_0861.JPG
The pattern seems to change appearance depending on angle viewed. Here they look like cubes...

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cubic patterns are shared amongst a bunch of other minerals but almost looks pyritic, was this found in New Jersey or New Hampshire, or any other NE states? Florescent minerals only have a few US locations. Amazonite or Kyanite maybe? Dunno

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in Southern California, a foot deep in sand. The cubes do look like pyrite, but check this angle... they're actually flat with a zig zag pattern going parallel with each other. The zig zag is what busts out, having definition. I think the pyritic cubes are just an illusion. IMG_0857.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked at it through a 120x microscope, but haven't had the opportunity to use a scratch pad... I should take it to a university, I've just been too cautious with my find. I sure hope its not fabricated, though I don't see how.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing to kind of think of, long shot, but those indentations, stairstep style, (that rock almost looks sedimentary) it could be the impression of another material or surface that it was on during deposition, later the host broke away and that's what was left, I've seen it in Iron replaced bark and plant molds where you get some weird stuff. Whatever it is, it's super cool.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say man made. Aircraft or space shuttle debris?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first thought was construction debris and that it was pressed against stucco lathe. But I can only see the one pic in the original post

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Raggzie

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good speculation, I still don't know what to make of it myself. To me it looks like a rock, but certain things about it screams artificial, especially the V.But then again it looks so natural (the materials,) that I am stumped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like it was glued to something because inside the green ring, at the bottom looks like some letter imprinting. I don't know, weird............

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread