What is your opinion on detecting residential boulevards?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The strip seems more like an easement. The town has dominion but owner has the responsibility of maintenance.
Like shoveling snow and cutting grass. The actually legality would be interesting. Is it public property or an easement.
A deed could be looked and seen where the owners property ends. If it was public land then the owner wouldn't have to care for it.
My house has no sidewalks or public roads but I do have easements for utilities. My deed shows the easements belonging to me.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, I just don't like detecting when I'm worried about a neighbor coming out to harass me. Part of the reason I detect is to let my mind rest and focus on something pleasant. I've been researching where they built highways over old neighborhoods. I just pull over and detect. I've tried a couple times with no luck. Found some old items but nothing valuable yet.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is another of those common sense deals, I think for the most part folks don't care if you hit those strips there's stuff there for sure, be careful cutting plugs anywhere I never had a problem as I chose nice parks and those strips after a good rainsoaking.. Just think carefully about those things...
Geo

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled a merc and a silver ring out of the one in front of my house. Neighbor gave me permission to hit his and it was all bottle caps and pull tabs. I hunt them when I get permission or as said before vacant houses are ok. Leave no trace

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is surprising what you can do and not get questioned if you wear a safety vest and a hardhat.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very rarely does the city own that strip. In most cases the city has an easement on the private property there.

Even if a city did own the strip that in no way makes it "public" property. Municipal property belongs to the municipal corporation ("city") - not to the public.

It is possible for a municipality to dedicate their property for public use which is the most common scenario. "Public use" does not necessarily equal open to metal detecting as anyone who has hunted a public park, library, police station or museum knows.

The most common public use dedication for sidewalks and margin strips is the "use" of the right of the public to walk on the strip while traveling from place to place. The right to travel the strip does not give anyone the right to take property or dig the strip.

Private easements are also often dedicated by the municipality for the use of utilities (water, sewer, electric, gas, phone etc.). In those cases it would be foolish to assume you could detect or dig. With a little research (due diligence) you will find that utility easements are actually specifically protected from digging without a permit from the municipality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions