What's new

What Kind of Birds? SOLVED CARACARA

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What kind of birds are these? I took this picture Sunday in SW Florida. They are large eagle or hawk like and appear to be a mating pair. Deer in the background.
 

Attachments

  • OK slough 059.webp
    OK slough 059.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 331
  • OK slough 057 resized.webp
    OK slough 057 resized.webp
    195.6 KB · Views: 340
Re: What Kind of Birds?

You know, Big Cy, I lived in Naples for 11 years and I must say I have never seen anything like these. Although, they kind of look like falcons. After hurricane Andrew, the Miami zoo lost hundreds of wild non-native aniamals that show up in the wild (everglades) and adapting just fine....still...Including monkeys
 
Upvote 0
Re: What Kind of Birds?

I didnt get a good picture of them flying. One was on the ground, the other on a fence post. They both took off flying with large wings. I didnt get a very good pic. They landed on the ground and ran for a while and stopped. I took the pic.

Some beautiful country out there. I also took pics of some huge wild hogs. Wildlife everywhere. But cant figure these strange eagles. They are as large as a buzzard.
 

Attachments

  • OK slough 058 crop.webp
    OK slough 058 crop.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0
Re: What Kind of Birds?

Harpie eagles. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: What Kind of Birds?

Dang! That picture scared me and I'm fearless! M :o nty
 
Upvote 0
Re: What Kind of Birds?

jimbob450 said:
I agree, Harpy Eagles. Huge birds. Jimbob
Are you sure Jimbob :P the picture I found of Harpy Eagles shows a white head :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Harpy eagle.webp
    Harpy eagle.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
Re: What Kind of Birds?

Don in SJ said:
Thats it! I kept googling Caracus. :D

What a beautiful bird and a rare sight.

Scary pic for Monty.

Check out this huge black wild boar. A smaller 150-200 lb. brown hog behind it. I have a muzzleloading hunting permit for here (Okaloacoochee Slough) in October. BarBQ.
 

Attachments

  • OK slough 053 resize.webp
    OK slough 053 resize.webp
    136.3 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0
Bigcy,

This bird kicks butt. In Texas some call it a Mexican Eagle, but the proper term is Crested Caracara.
I have seen them (1) stand off 5-6 turkey buzzards on road killed deer.
Yes, they are scavengers as well.

BW
 
Upvote 0
those are some good photo's bch. neet little swamp chicken (crested caracara). deer are a little skinny compaired to up here :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
It reminded me of the Harpie eagle and I didn't know about the carara falcon or whatever. I'll bet they are related somehow as they both have the crested head. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Cool looking birds!Maybe the next hurricane can blow a few breeding pairs up to north Florida! I have never seen them up here, in The big bend area. Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom