What's new

What kind of tool is this?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today, no idea what it may be. It is about 6 inches long and 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3154.webp
    DSCN3154.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 324
I dug one of those in a CW camp and was thrilled to death until I took it home and realized that they could date from just about anytime. :-\

Well...old tools still have a special place in my heart. ;D
 
Upvote 0
From what I could research, the patent for the alligator wrench was issued in 1876 and was produced into the early 1900's...

Used primarily to fit square nuts and for pipe fitting...steam engines and RR locomotives, farm equipment, wagons, and the like...

Depending on shape, condition and manufacturer, the value generally runs into the $20 to $40 range...

When in my teens I found a tool box full of them resting on a fireblock of a wooded-up stud wall in an old house my dad was renovating...

See them frequently in antique stores...
 
Upvote 0
stefen said:
From what I could research, the patent for the alligator wrench was issued in 1876 and was produced into the early 1900's...

Used primarily to fit square nuts and for pipe fitting...steam engines and RR locomotives, farm equipment, wagons, and the like...

Depending on shape, condition and manufacturer, the value generally runs into the $20 to $40 range...

When in my teens I found a tool box full of them resting on a fireblock of a wooded-up stud wall in an old house my dad was renovating...

See them frequently in antique stores...

Great info. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom