792.7 KB · Views: 43

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Jersey pattern head. If you can clean the rust off you may find a maker's mark. I would start with a brass brush to get off all of the loose rust. Then soak it in a solution of 9 parts water to 1 part molasses. It will take a couple weeks but it won't damage the head more. Check it every couple days and clean with the brass brush. That is the process I use for my axes.

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice ax head #2. Mine has no name on it but looks nearly identical to yours. I found mine in a Civil War Redoubt (earthen fort) in Tennessee. I am 99% sure it is Civil War. Yours is old too.

20220213_125522.jpg

Upvote 2
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 1
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a Jersey pattern head. If you can clean the rust off you may find a maker's mark. I would start with a brass brush to get off all of the loose rust. Then soak it in a solution of 9 parts water to 1 part molasses. It will take a couple weeks but it won't damage the head more. Check it every couple days and clean with the brass brush. That is the process I use for my axes.
Was there more or one maker in Nj?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, yours looks the same.
Do to some research I did, the people that lived at this old home site ,where I found it at,They had two sons that served in the civil war. Both union officers. I know that has nothing to do with them serving. But it date around that time you say.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do to some research I did, the people that lived at this old home site ,where I found it at,They had two sons that served in the civil war. Both union officers. I know that has nothing to do with them serving. But it date around that time you say.
I am sure mine dates to that period based on location and depth of dig. Now it is possible it was dropped there before or after the war, but I doubt it. It was likely left in the mud when troops were in a hurry to leave. The Redoubt traded hands many times during the war. Nice find you got there. I have hot waxed mine since that picture was taken. I can post a picture of it waxed if you want to see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug mine about 12" deep just outside a Redoubt on the Tennessee River. Along with several other relics.
This was found lying on top of the ground. I must have walked by this many times. Can't believe I listed this. My detector must have thought it as iron junk. I'm not surprised that yours was down 12". I have found horse shoes that deep, and some pieces of iron junk that deep,like this old iron kettle I found two years ago. Was in bad shape and not worth saving. But I'm shore you found your shear of iron to.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found lying on top of the ground. I must have walked by this many times. Can't believe I listed this. My detector must have thought it as iron junk. I'm not surprised that yours was down 12". I have found horse shoes that deep, and some pieces of iron junk that deep,like this old iron kettle I found two years ago. Was in bad shape and not worth saving. But I'm shore you found your shear of iron to.
I dug this Dutch Oven 2 feet deep in a trash pit or latrine of the 5th Ohio camp here in Tennessee. I'm restoring it and will be done with restoration in a week or so.

I did not dig a lot of iron for a while. I wish I had dug everything now.

Attachments

• Dutch 1.jpg
    Dutch 1.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 2
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure mine dates to that period based on location and depth of dig. Now it is possible it was dropped there before or after the war, but I doubt it. It was likely left in the mud when troops were in a hurry to leave. The Redoubt traded hands many times during the war. Nice find you got there. I have hot waxed mine since that picture was taken. I can post a picture of it waxed if you want to see.
Yes please. I clean what rust I could get of with a wire brush an applied this rust extend rust Neutralized. By Loctite. I haven't experimented with wax. Is there a video on you tube about how that works?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this Dutch Oven 2 feet deep in a trash pit or latrine of the 5th Ohio camp here in Tennessee. I'm restoring it and will be done with restoration in a week or so.

I don't like to dig iron either, but I get some of those signals that sound good . And it draws me in. To see what it might be. I do it to just in case I find a cache or something.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your Dutch oven project is coming along nice. Keep up the good work.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes please. I clean what rust I could get of with a wire brush an applied this rust extend rust Neutralized. By Loctite. I haven't experimented with wax. Is there a video on you tube about how that works?
Yes, several videos. It can be dangerous if you do not control the temperature on wax. With a little common sense and a good thermometer no problem. I think I paid 6 bucks for my thermometer at Walmart.

Here is video on hot wax. There are several out there. I also do electrolysis on most things before hot waxing. Some you cannot do electrolysis on. If you cannot open link just search hot wax iron relics. I think aquachigger one is pretty good.

Attachments

• 20220225_105212.jpg
    20220225_105212.jpg
    778.2 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 1
OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, several videos. It can be dangerous if you do not control the temperature on wax. With a little common sense and a good thermometer no problem. I think I paid 6 bucks for my thermometer at Walmart.

Here is video on hot wax. There are several out there. I also do electrolysis on most things before hot waxing. Some you cannot do electrolysis on. If you cannot open link just search hot wax iron relics. I think aquachigger one is pretty good.

Thank you

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread