njrelicgairl
Hero Member
- Joined
- Jul 1, 2013
- Messages
- 538
- Reaction score
- 1,102
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- warren county NJ
- Detector(s) used
- Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
Yes, yours looks the same.Notice ax head #2. Mine has no name on it but looks nearly identical to yours. I found mine in a Civil War Redoubt (earthen fort) in Tennessee. I am 99% sure it is Civil War. Yours is old too.
View attachment 2011989
Was there more or one maker in Nj?It looks like a Jersey pattern head. If you can clean the rust off you may find a maker's mark. I would start with a brass brush to get off all of the loose rust. Then soak it in a solution of 9 parts water to 1 part molasses. It will take a couple weeks but it won't damage the head more. Check it every couple days and clean with the brass brush. That is the process I use for my axes.
I dug mine about 12" deep just outside a Redoubt on the Tennessee River. Along with several other relics.Yes, yours looks the same.
Do to some research I did, the people that lived at this old home site ,where I found it at,They had two sons that served in the civil war. Both union officers. I know that has nothing to do with them serving. But it date around that time you say.Yes, yours looks the same.
I am sure mine dates to that period based on location and depth of dig. Now it is possible it was dropped there before or after the war, but I doubt it. It was likely left in the mud when troops were in a hurry to leave. The Redoubt traded hands many times during the war. Nice find you got there. I have hot waxed mine since that picture was taken. I can post a picture of it waxed if you want to see.Do to some research I did, the people that lived at this old home site ,where I found it at,They had two sons that served in the civil war. Both union officers. I know that has nothing to do with them serving. But it date around that time you say.
This was found lying on top of the ground. I must have walked by this many times. Can't believe I listed this. My detector must have thought it as iron junk. I'm not surprised that yours was down 12". I have found horse shoes that deep, and some pieces of iron junk that deep,like this old iron kettle I found two years ago. Was in bad shape and not worth saving. But I'm shore you found your shear of iron to.I dug mine about 12" deep just outside a Redoubt on the Tennessee River. Along with several other relics.
I dug this Dutch Oven 2 feet deep in a trash pit or latrine of the 5th Ohio camp here in Tennessee. I'm restoring it and will be done with restoration in a week or so.This was found lying on top of the ground. I must have walked by this many times. Can't believe I listed this. My detector must have thought it as iron junk. I'm not surprised that yours was down 12". I have found horse shoes that deep, and some pieces of iron junk that deep,like this old iron kettle I found two years ago. Was in bad shape and not worth saving. But I'm shore you found your shear of iron to.
Yes please. I clean what rust I could get of with a wire brush an applied this rust extend rust Neutralized. By Loctite. I haven't experimented with wax. Is there a video on you tube about how that works?I am sure mine dates to that period based on location and depth of dig. Now it is possible it was dropped there before or after the war, but I doubt it. It was likely left in the mud when troops were in a hurry to leave. The Redoubt traded hands many times during the war. Nice find you got there. I have hot waxed mine since that picture was taken. I can post a picture of it waxed if you want to see.
I don't like to dig iron either, but I get some of those signals that sound good . And it draws me in. To see what it might be. I do it to just in case I find a cache or something.I dug this Dutch Oven 2 feet deep in a trash pit or latrine of the 5th Ohio camp here in Tennessee. I'm restoring it and will be done with restoration in a week or so.
I did not dig a lot of iron for a while. I wish I had dug everything now.
Your Dutch oven project is coming along nice. Keep up the good work.I dug this Dutch Oven 2 feet deep in a trash pit or latrine of the 5th Ohio camp here in Tennessee. I'm restoring it and will be done with restoration in a week or so.
I did not dig a lot of iron for a while. I wish I had dug everything now.
Yes, several videos. It can be dangerous if you do not control the temperature on wax. With a little common sense and a good thermometer no problem. I think I paid 6 bucks for my thermometer at Walmart.Yes please. I clean what rust I could get of with a wire brush an applied this rust extend rust Neutralized. By Loctite. I haven't experimented with wax. Is there a video on you tube about how that works?
Thanks, my friendYour Dutch oven project is coming along nice. Keep up the good work.
Lots of companies made axes in that pattern. It is the name of the pattern.Was there more or one maker in Nj?
Yepper. Thanks as always for your good input, gillious.Lots of companies made axes in that pattern.
OkLots of companies made axes in that pattern. It is the name of the pattern.
Lots of companies made axes in that pattern. It is the name of the pattern.
Your welcome.Thanks, my friend
Yes, several videos. It can be dangerous if you do not control the temperature on wax. With a little common sense and a good thermometer no problem. I think I paid 6 bucks for my thermometer at Walmart.
Here is video on hot wax. There are several out there. I also do electrolysis on most things before hot waxing. Some you cannot do electrolysis on. If you cannot open link just search hot wax iron relics. I think aquachigger one is pretty good.