What's new

What Our Salt Water Does To Coins

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
2,334
Reaction score
1,306
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bradenton, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken and I went out near Anna Maria today to try our luck in the Gulf and bay waters. I found several coins , one being a half dollar which I was sure that it was silver. The coin was thick and crusted. Ken did good finding a 14KT. ladies ring with small diamonds.
I came home and started electrolysis on the half dollar. Guess I should have taken a before cleaning photo while you could still see the reed edges. Not much left after cleaning. I wonder what a Spanish Coin would look like after 400 years in the water when this coin was only in the salt water less than 70 years.
Anyway I got the silver and Ken got the gold and my dollar. Ouch!!!

 

Attachments

  • Franklin 005.webp
    Franklin 005.webp
    492.1 KB · Views: 557
  • Franklin 003.webp
    Franklin 003.webp
    397.8 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
sign_wow.gif
Very nice finds
congrats.gif
 
Good find Les. That coin must have been in the surf a long time to get eaten up like that.
 
Ben is looking ruff
 
Bet Ken frames that dollar bill! :laughing7: :laughing7: Took a little while to clean this one up? At least it's silver.
 
Congrats on the silver coin find , Les.

I've found some of those coins, but luckily they were in pretty good condition.

It is still a great silver coin find :hello2:

Great pics of the coin, too.

Lorraine
 
Nice find les, finding that old silver is not easy, HH
 
So the salt ate that coin up? It wasn't from electro it for a long time.
 
I've found a few like that too. Sometimes the crust comes off as an intact disc with a reverse image on one side.
 
Great find cousin!!
 
That sucker must have been tumbled around in the surf for quite some time.
 
Les I think it has a lot to do with what a coin is close to or touching like brass, copper, iron, dissimilar metals and salt water creates electrolysis
 
Les I think it has a lot to do with what a coin is close to or touching like brass, copper, iron, dissimilar metals and salt water creates electrolysis

All silver coins found in that area always look that way. When I get them out of the water they have a thick black crust that does not flake off.
 
One for the scrap can Les. That thing might now of even been in the water that long. Ive found a couple of modern dime recently that were down to the copper. I still love finding big silver always gets my heart going. Ha.... i know how hard it is to get that dollar from you. Congrats to Ken. Enjoy being around you two .... wealth on information and just a very personable pair of good guys. Maybe Monday you can get the dollar back....

Dew
 
wow that one really got churned up! congrats
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom