What's new

What plugged my crow call-Update

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my crow call out on the porch so I can hassle crows when the fly by .
I went to use it , but it was plugged . After removing the dirt seal , all these critters fell out .

What kind of insect could of done this ?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 001.webp
    Picture 001.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 745
  • Picture 002 (2).webp
    Picture 002 (2).webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 742
Re: What plugged my crow call

I have always had the same problem in my garage. The mud wasps ( Is what we always called them ), plug up the mufflers on my weed eaters, chain saws. and my 22 cal. rifle. The small engines won't start if the muffler is plugged, take a nail or something and clean it out well. I would always check the barrel on my 22 rifle before shooting it. Now I started sticking a couple broken pieces of a lead pencil in the mufflers when I am done using them and put a rag around the rifle barrel when I hang it up.
Clayton
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

I thought Dirt Dobbers only ate spiders? I see them carrying spiders around ever so often on my front porch. They also build their hard as a rock little cocoon under the eaves of the porch . Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

crows (who I dispise) are cowardly criiters for the most part generally only attacking owls in mass numbers (owls will easily kill single crows), other than that their "sneak thiefs" --seeking out unprotected nest or food sources if alone --( a group of crows are called a "murder" for a reason because in a "group" they are bold attackers )--- mocking birds can and will chase single crows that try to attack their nest --- once I saw a mocking bird attack a red tailed hawk that was eating one of its young from a nest from a tree in my yard --the mocking bird dive bombed the hawk --slamming into it with all its might --knocking the much larger hawk off the limb and getting it to fly away then boldly attacking it -- picking at the hawks tail feathers ( pulling out their tail feathers cripples the other birds ability to fly --- due to their flying skills few birds are as agile as the mocking bird--- so they flee as fast as possible from them)-- it was easily one of natures best david vs golith match ups I've ever seen-- the "brave hearted" mocking bird saved it other hatchling due to its strong "protective" nature of its nest --- mocking birds for their size are mean critters. -- mine dive bomb he local cats --pecking at their tails and rear end if they wonder too close to their nesting area --they have never bothered me however , I throw bits of old bread out to them now and then --they seem to know I'm no "danger"

most like some type of preditor wasp --planted a food source for its young to eat upon hatching
 
Upvote 0
After digging all those critters out it was still plugged . I left it sitting on end , on a table , I picked it up today to do some more cleaning , and this little guy fell out ! He is still moving . It looks like the baby wasp .
 

Attachments

  • Picture 001.webp
    Picture 001.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Picture 005 (5).webp
    Picture 005 (5).webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
I guess you're kinda lucky the crows didn't find yer call, and fill it with poop........NGE
 
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you call those dang pesky things. I know the big mud dauber attaches their mud houses in corners or whatever is convenient for them. This little wasp will fill in a vacant hole anywhere it sees fit. I've found my weed eater with holes filled it, what really cooked my goose with them is when I was refinishing some furniture, they thought I created a mansion for em. They filled in the holes where I removed the screws that attached the drawer pulls. >:( Talk about a little hole, had to use a pocket size screwdriver to unclogged. When I see one, I'm sure to "Raid" em dead. :thumbsup:

:wink: RR
 
Upvote 0
Dirt Dobber said:
RR, you gotta work faster on those furniture projects. D.D.

I might be slow, but not that slow. :laughing9:

Had everything finished within a week, but those crazy things clogged the holes up within a few days.

:wink: RR
 
Upvote 0
with that wasp larave you found I think you got your answer as to what plugged your call with "food" for it s young and why it was sealed up as well. --green check "solved"--- some type of "preditor wasp"
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom