What's new

What plugged my crow call-Update

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my crow call out on the porch so I can hassle crows when the fly by .
I went to use it , but it was plugged . After removing the dirt seal , all these critters fell out .

What kind of insect could of done this ?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 001.webp
    Picture 001.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 745
  • Picture 002 (2).webp
    Picture 002 (2).webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 742
Re: What plugged my crow call

Wasps of various types will gather food and foder....and store them in something laying outside if they can get to it......

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

TiredIron said:
Wasps of various types will gather food and foder....and store them in something laying outside if they can get to it......

TiredIron
thats probably more likely to right, i notice mud
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

it's a mud dauber, the worm was put in the cavity, and then the egg was laid, which turned into the fat one.
when it hatched it started eating the worms
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

TiredIron said:
Wasps of various types will gather food and foder....and store them in something laying outside if they can get to it......

TiredIron
I guess I won't be laying nude out on the porch anymore .
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

mojjax said:
TiredIron said:
Wasps of various types will gather food and foder....and store them in something laying outside if they can get to it......

TiredIron
I guess I won't be laying nude out on the porch anymore .

They're pretty easy to scare away if they try to lay eggs in your belly button. Just don't fall asleep. :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

I won't be laying nude out on the porch anymore .

"There's a visual I could have done without....Ha"
One day I was sitting out on the porch drinking coffee and when I took sip I felt something...."not right"....and immediately spit out a good size hairy spider....
damn I was spitting for a week. I did have my cloths on.....

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

Didnt you ever have one try to make a nest in your hunting rifle?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

Sniffer said:
it's a mud dauber, the worm was put in the cavity, and then the egg was laid, which turned into the fat one.
when it hatched it started eating the worms
i was going to say mud dauber but i couldn't remember if they were the ones that lived in holes in the dirt, or if they were the ones that built the mud nest. does anyone know what the "other" one's are called?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

The other I think you are referring to is a carpenter bee .
Mud daubers will nest in any orifice they can fit into . 1/4 inch air hoses , lawnmower carbs , ect . Larger openings they just build more tubes to fill the space , cram the space with captured spiders and other small critters , deposit an egg to feed on this stuff , and seal this up .
Other than filling openings that you have neglected to cover they are pretty benificial critters .
Jim
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

That is probably from a parasitic wasp but not a mud dauber. Mud daubers only put spiders in their nest and they build their own nest not nest in something. More likely a mason wasp.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

Back to the crow call Mojjax. We used to mess with the crows with the electronic calls. It really works. We would get hundreds of crows swarming around our farm house. And then we'd pick em off with .22's
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

Definately a wasp of some kind. We have some here that look like mud daubers, but they use leaves instead of mud to pack holes.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

The grey one is the larvae, the long green one looks like a cabbage moth pupae or similar, the small green one I dont tink we have down here. Kinda looks like its heading to be a beetle.

Fascinating pics tho!
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

One morning I awoke to the sounds of many crows making a hell of a racket in my backyard. Let me tell ya, we get crows in the yard maybe once a year, 2 or 3 just passing through. I kept hearing caw, clunk, caw, clunk, clunk :icon_scratch:. Couldn't figger it out, then it hit me :laughing7:. last year I installed a fake owl in the yard to help keep pigeons away, it has a rotating head. It sure must have looked real to those crows, it was funny watching them attack it, they even knocked its head off a couple times and they still attacked it!...........NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

I love the pecking order of nature. A mocking bird will attack a crow that is a predator eating their eggs. She will chase a crow for a mile, swooping in and attacking him ever so often. A crow on the other hand will attack a much larger and more aggresive predator, the owl. Back to your bugs. The critter in your call was most likely one of the smaller wasps that grab bugs and paralize them for their larvae to eat alive. A dirt dobber would have built a mud cone around it and really stopped it up. The big wasp that lives in the ground is a Cicada Killer and a cicada is the only bug they will capture. I have dozens of them around my deck right now. The live under ground and drag the live but paralized cicada down into the ground and lay an egg on it. Then the cicada is eaten alive! Nature is very scary at times. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: What plugged my crow call

I agree, it's a mud dauber. A lot of people are afraid of them but thery are very timid and rarely sting you. They are beneficial also, as they sometimes fight the more brutal type of stinging hornet. In other words, they picked the wrong place to build a nest, but on a barn wall they are a good thing to have around.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom