Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"seamed" ?

Could it be some type of a Magicians Penny ?

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Looks like a broken collar maybe? I bet its thinner than a regular cent, too. Do you have calipers to check it with?

Upvote 0

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird...

All I know is that someone had posted onthe bay wanting an oversize Error 1964 D Lincoln Memorial ...
so my guess is that they were errors...your coin and what the seeker is looking for. Just a guess though since the person wanting the other coin said it was only a mm larger.
Would you say it's only about a mm larger?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Louisa

Dec 15, 2006
Ouchita Mountains, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Jeffro, I don't have a calliper but it is visibly thinner than the regular cent.

Alchemy I can't eyeball a mm but the regular penny "sets within" the outer ridge of the odd penny. My curiosity is up, I'm gonna google "oversize error Lincoln Memorial" and see what pops up.

Attachments

• overlap.jpg
    overlap.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,033
Upvote 0
S

Smee

If it were a silver color, I would wonder if it was struck on a nickle planchette (Think I spelled that right???). My employer is also a coin dealer, and very popular here with folks who have found oddities in their change and even some bills with errors.

He recently had someone bring in a penny struck on a dime planchette which was silver in color with the coper core. Really cool looking. Since this penny is slightly larger, a nickle planchett would almost fit, but the color is wrong, unless pennies are struck and then copper coated . . . in which case the copper might just turn that funny color if it was coated onto nickle alloy. That would also explain the "seam" around the outside as the planchette would be larger than the die . . .

I say find a coin dealer in your area and ask them.

Upvote 0

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i have one like yours also. i took it to a coin collector . he said people counterfeit pennies to make them collectable which many collectors buy. making them valuable. but i dont think its true.my penny is lighter than normal also. its a bit bigger than normal also and i believe itis a 1994. kidd

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Curious on These ? See Arrows

Also is the Date on an angle or the coin ?

Attachments

• indexpppppp.jpg
    indexpppppp.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,426
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will read the reference site carefully, it says it is slightly larger than a nickel, so I don't think this is the same as the person is looking for. I think it's some kind of magicians coin also. Monty

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
If you will read the reference site carefully, it says it is slightly larger than a nickel, so I don't think this is the same as the person is looking for. I think it's some kind of magicians coin also. Monty
I see it, Jeff. The numbers appear to be over-sized. They also look very much on an angle down and away from Liberty.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread