What to do with these damn LLC properties!?!?

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I'm curious as to how you all deal with these shenanigans. You're out driving around, looking for likely locations for old homesteads. As you approach, you see the GIGANTIC OAKS, an old Chimney but nothing else, old fence posts, etc. You think to yourself, "THAT'S THE SPOT!" You take a look around, and notice that there's modern fences, gates, and no trespassing signs posted. So, you pull out your phone to run the location through a GIS/Parcel data app to try to figure out who the owner is in order to try to convince them to give you permission so you don't get shot, arrested, or ruin the hobby for others. You locate the parcel and read the name, and it's none other then those pesky "(Insert name here) LLC. You run the business name through google,bing,yahoo, you name it, and get NO RESULTS. How do you proceed?

It seems that all these potential historic properties are owned by these LLC's. Sure, there are some that lease the land for hunting, but thn there's others with absolutely no information about them. Almost like they are "fronts". I've experienced this while trying to access creeks in gold bearing areas, and also in areas to simply coin/relic shoot. It's almost like there's a deliberate attempt to keep these sites with potential riches/history on lock down. Sometimes it'll be timber company, other times a LLC, and even "living trusts". Meanwhile, you can't find any information about how to contact the true property owner.

Another thing that I have noticed, is some of the counties that I attempt to view the parcel data, it is only accessible to city employees. This really bothers me. I could see if it was state wide, but to pick a handful of counties, and make them above top secret to view the data, but all are on the same state GIS website...it just doesn't make sense.

Any input would be great.

Also, are any of you all using a nation wide free GIS/Parcel app? I have downloaded a couple that claimed to be free, and the app was phenomenal and worked great, but they turned out to not be free, and only gave a certain number of searches/days before having to pay. If any of you have any good recommendations for apps to find parcel data, I would love to hear about them.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My county has a free GIS/Parcel/Aerial that I use all the time.

"Living Trusts" are often set up by the homeowners at that location (it's a way to shelter property from bankruptcy for large medical or legal drains).

It's almost like there's a deliberate attempt to keep these sites with potential riches/history on lock down.

Why not? They're paying taxes on it. They are entitled to anything of potential value. What incentive do they have to allow you to take it and potentially hurt yourself or their assets in the process and cause more complications than it's worth?

It would be a gift for them to allow you access. And they owe you nothing.

Move on.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You speak the truth, Charlie. Same with the LLC's, and timber companies. It's annoying for us peasants to see parcels of thousands of acres, inaccessible. However, these investors are holding the land as an investment, and there is no reason to allow some dweeb to go in there and toss their cig butt carelessly, and torch all the valuable timber. It's what makes America great. If you have the cash, you can own land. Keep looking, and keep asking, Just Curious. I feel your pain.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..okay. You're obviously not picking up what I'm putting down. Everybody knows about GIS. That's not the issue. The issue is that the information within the property record are not traceable. Businesses have to have a record as well. I can look at the GIS data, find the owners name, and look up their contact info, and reach out to them.

With some of these LLC's, you can't find ANY info, which makes you wonder if it's a legitimate business/company.

I'm talking about areas where there isn't a single house around...and yes, I know what a Living Trust is.

I'm also pretty damn sure that I never once said that I am entitled to be able to access the property. If I felt that way, I would simply not post this, and access it anyways.

On top of that, your hands are pretty tied when you try to sue an LLC, hence the name LLC.

Some of these LLCs you can actually find information on. Some of them lease the land for hunters, etc. But then there are these OTHER LLCs that almost appear to be fake/not real/ a front/smoke screen/etc. Possibly by the state (who knows) to own the land. I obviously know that any riches on somebody's property are theirs, and agreements must be made. What I'm saying is, we see this crap all the time from NTL forest, to archeological sites, to historical sites, etc.

I was simply trying to see if any of you have figured out a way to contact these seemingly invisible/untraceable LLC's and get permission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I may have jumped the gun on my last comment. I was responding that way to what I believed to be a aggressive/hostile/sarcastic comment. Sometimes it's is hard to judge tone/intent via text, so if I was wrong in that assumption, sorry for my attitude/response/miscommunication

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You speak the truth, Charlie. Same with the LLC's, and timber companies. It's annoying for us peasants to see parcels of thousands of acres, inaccessible. However, these investors are holding the land as an investment, and there is no reason to allow some dweeb to go in there and toss their cig butt carelessly, and torch all the valuable timber. It's what makes America great. If you have the cash, you can own land. Keep looking, and keep asking, Just Curious. I feel your pain.

Kray, have you ever made an attempt to try to contact these plot owners? It just sucks because there is literally so much history where I am at, but no such thing as public property. It is all either state owned or private. This even includes the creeks!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..okay. You're obviously not picking up what I'm putting down.

Some folks just like taking any chance they get to talk down to someone else. I feel your pain, and I'm sorry but I don't have any answers for you other than to try the records department at your local county courthouse.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, look at it this way. If YOU had your contact information so it could be scooped up free and easy from a national (or even county) website can you imagine the calls and SPAM you would be receiving.

I "get what you're putting down" but my point is you have no need to know. All the GIS cares is that they pay their local and school property taxes. (I was comptroller for a city in NY and we CONSTANTLY received FOIA requests for lists of names, addresses, telephone numbers - that I constantly denied).

I also own 20 aces. If someone came to my door and asked to detect I'd be hesitant myself. We live in troubled times.

I also manage a business. If someone wanted to come "work" on the site we have to have proof of $1,000,000 liability insurance and worker's comp. Sadly our litigious society has made it so you can't just "be nice" to strangers - or even acquaintances - because they'll sue you for all you're worth if they get the opportunity. "LLC" may have limited liability - but not against personal injury lawsuits. And it is a corporation.

Call the heavy hitters at 1-800-SLIPPED ON A GRAPE and get MILLION$!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Local newspaper. LLC's have to publish their birth by law. Microfilm is your best friend (these days digital records). That will give you contact info. Now you call, write, or email them. Good luck with that. A pirate has a bolt cutter in their trunk, right beside their metal detecting gear. They are ready at sunrise on any given Sunday, to do what they enjoy most. :skullflag:

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
Number one rule in real estate. Do not buy real estate in your name, buy it with a LLC. Number two rule in real estate do not buy more then 10 properties in the same LLC name. Start a new LCC. I have a LLC called namethis, LLC however you have to know which State the LLC is register to find information about the namethis, LLC. (by the way that is a made up name)

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number one rule in real estate. Do not buy real estate in your name, buy it with a LLC. Number two rule in real estate do not buy more then 10 properties in the same LLC name. Start a new LCC. I have a LLC called namethis, LLC however you have to know which State the LLC is register to find information about the namethis, LLC. (by the way that is a made up name)

just out of curiosity, what would be the reasoning behind this? Sounds like something to do for money laundering. Making fake businesses to push your money through lol. I'm curious as to why this is a thing?

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most timberland and farmland in the US is being snapped up by foreign investors, so you might have to call China or the Saudis , sad but true.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An LLC is still a corporation and therefore must be registered in the state. Contact the state agency that handles those. Part of the registration is that they must list a person and address for the "registered service agent". Of course, those things can change but it will give you a starting place to look.

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
just out of curiosity, what would be the reasoning behind this? Sounds like something to do for money laundering. Making fake businesses to push your money through lol. I'm curious as to why this is a thing?

1st let me say I am not an attorney and each state has it's own laws. There a few reason and they are mostly because of lawsuits. Lets say you are a landlord and your Tenant falls down the steps and they try to sue you. By limiting the numbers of homes you own under one LLC it is harder for them to come after all your net worth. This goes the same if you are in a car accent and the other guy sue you. It make it harder to go after all the you own because you do not own the land or homes the LLC does.

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
You have to know which state. There is 50 and it can be any state. Lets say my LLC buys land in Ohio and my LLC is in NJ you would have to go to the state of NJ for my LLC information. Ohio most likely will not have any information on my LLC. In each state you could have LLC called BigRed LLC and there could be 50 people owning BigRed LLC. This is why WalMart has to Register its name in each state.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Curious, my comment was aimed at what Charlie stated. I, too, have run into the same issue you're having trying to pin down owners on lands listed on GIS sites. I just write it off to some clerk working at the county, entering info into the computer. Not to offend any county clerks out there, but we all know workers regardless of their job, can be less than diligent. When I look at the tens of thousands of acres here in SC owned by LLC's, and timber companies especially, who largely lease them out to hunt clubs, or sign them over for wildlife preserves to organizations such as Audubon, I'd be lying if I didn't feel a twinge of jealousy or even resentment, that we small time folks have so few options. But that's the way it is. And also, I wasn't implying that you were a dweeb. I know and have seen the evidence of their passing, however. I.E. all those friggin' cans we dig. I get exactly what you're saying. Maybe an in-person visit to the county building would pin them down.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have sent requests, and have received replies, politely denying permissions. Some have said they have hired archeologists to do surveys of their lands, and where to view there finds and conclusions. They aren't all bad, just protecting their interests.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems just talking is taken as talking down to someone. Not gonna bite, Icewing. I don't know where that came from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread