Erial was the home of Francis L. Henning, the famous counterfeiter. Around 1955 he was arrested for counterfeiting 300,000 US nickels. Around 100,000 actually made it into circulation and still pop up occasionally.
When he was on the run from the Secret Service he dumped the remaining 200,000 of them. The Secret Service recovered 14,000.
I have spoken to eyewitnesses who found some of these coins when they were children. They have actually pointed out the exact spot where the coins were dumped. To this date, I have not recovered a single "Henning Nickel" although it is one of my goals!
The detecting 'bug' bit me real good while I was in California getting ready to be discharged in 1970. I was born and lived in Fair Lawn, NJ until joining the USAF in 1964. While awaiting the last days of my contract with Uncle Sam I happened to be in a park in San Bernardino, CA and had observed an elderly kind of fellow swinging a stick-like contraption, then bending down and then removing something from the ground before him. So, I spent about an hour walking with the fellow, watching his every move, especially when he placed a coin into the pouch he was wearing. Soon enough he told me he had to get on home but before he left he pointed me in the direction of where I might be able to purchase a detector of my very own. We both had smiles on our faces as we each headed in different directions.
That was the start...and I'm still all wound up about this great hobby. Since my discharge from the USAF I have had several different makes and models of detectors. I like the Minelab Explorer models, the Fisher CZ models and the earlier Whites Eagle Spectrum detectors. Each has their own personality but when the digging gets dirty...the results are usually satisfying
Now I am situated in Waldwick, NJ, just a stone's throw from Fair Lawn, and am still active swinging the loop.
I live in Westville now, used to live in Haddon Heights. I belong to the SJMDC so does my mom. Always lookin for opportunities to get out and do some huntin if anyone needs a buddy or 2.