bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about that the other day, especially about bottles cause that's my thing, and everything is so mass produced these days. It would be great to find a modern bottle and say that it could be worth something someday, but in reality the only half decent amount of money would be from collector's edition stuff, like when Coke comes out with old style bottles. Even that isn't that great. But you never know.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LEGOS, never opened sets... especially the little mini-figs that come with each set. What is so bad though is the biggest sets can cost over $100 retail... LEGO just had to retire a Star Wars set because they got complaints from some religious group about Jabba's Palace looked too much like a mosque. I believe it is set #9615 or 9516. It would be a good one to stash away for a couple of years.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about that the other day, especially about bottles cause that's my thing, and everything is so mass produced these days. It would be great to find a modern bottle and say that it could be worth something someday, but in reality the only half decent amount of money would be from collector's edition stuff, like when Coke comes out with old style bottles. Even that isn't that great. But you never know.

Special liquor bottles would be ok for bottles. I seem in bigger liquor stores in buffalo I mean a walmart of booze. They were commission artists and sculptures marketing them. Those would be good in 50 years.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah American pickers beat the oil stuff to death in my opinion. The coins I agree with also since everything is going electronic. Any thing made of nylon from the 60's down, not much of that left not stocking, toys and stuff. Legos will get hotter as time goes on. The regular size blocks especially. Older guns, they are bring fazed out 3 ways, gun turn in programs that juniors takes one of his dads guns and turns then in. Weapon confiscation by police from criminals and the popularity of assault rifles. Cast iron cook wear , and off grid type stuff. As my age group gets older we will start wanting stuff from our child hood. Camping gear from the 90's or before, stuff you older guys used with your kids. Nostalgia stuff is huge, anything that makes someone get that warm feeling from childhood. I had a bunch of stuff but the wife made me forget lol. Good luck.

Last edited:

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
regarding liquor bottles - Ive actually sold a lot of 1970s liquor bottles (empty...) on ebay lately....full sized ones (miniatures real common) - I had some from a house getting cleaned out...wasn't sure they would go......but..the vast majority do.........
you need to think outside the box......if you have the only one of something vintage (which includes 1980s and 90s now) on ebay at a given time...you have a reasonable chance of selling it --
anyways - for myself...nostalgia...but of a random sort....I snag any sort of old products/packaging (especially food - junk food/kids food/fast food)- take a look at my "archive" - Flickr: mankatt's Photostream - I used to do a lot of bottles....easier to flatten out old food boxes/chip bags/candy wrappers then to store crates and crates of bottles.....

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to save pre-1983 copper pennies. During the early 1970s, the price of copper rose to a point where the penny almost contained more than one cent's worth of copper. This led the Mint to test alternate metals, including aluminum and bronze-clad steel. Aluminum was chosen, and over 1.5 million of these were struck and ready for public release before ultimately being rejected. About a dozen aluminum cents are believed to still be in the hands of collectors, although they are now considered illegal, and are subject to seizure by the Secret Service. One aluminum cent was donated to the Smithsonian Institution. The cent's composition was changed in 1982 because the value of the copper in the coin started to rise above one cent. Some 1982 cents use the 97.6% zinc composition, while others used the 95% copper composition. In 1943, at the peak of World War II, cents of zinc-plated steel were made for a short time due to war demands for copper. A few (the U.S. Mint reports forty) copper cents from 1943 were produced from the 1942 planchets remaining in the bins. Similarly, some 1944 steel cents have been reported. Following 1943, salvaged ammunition shells made their way into the minting process, and it was not uncommon to see coins featuring streaks of brass or having a considerably darker finish than other issues. The price of copper later returned to profitable levels. The Mint did not need to change the cent's composition again until 1982. As of November 2, 2006, the price of copper is $3.31 per pound and zinc is $1.93 per pound. At these prices, the pre-1982 copper cent contains 2.224 cents worth of copper metal; it is now potentially profitable to melt them down. Presumably with the rapid rise in price for zinc, the US Mint will have to find another alternative. The scrap zinc in a modern cent is worth 1.1 cents. With the costs of manufacturing and distribution, the net cost to produce one cent is about 1.4 cents, significantly higher than the face value of the coin. People with young ears can hear the difference between the bronze and copper pennies and the newer, zinc years: simply "flip" the coin, giving it a good, solid strike. The predominantly copper pennies produce a "ringing" sound in the 12 KHz range. The zinc coins do not ring.

Well explained. I started collecting a month ago, wish it started earlier. I'm even paying attention to mint errors and varietys. I found a couple

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
With petroleum products on their way out, I'd guess plastic stuff. Well-made, intricate toys made from plastic. Also, carved wooden items. AND American coins and currency. We're headed for a North American Union whether we like it or not, so our current currency and coin will become valueless in a few years. It will only be valued by serious collectors.

I can't see a North American Union Currency. It makes no sense for us to participate in such a scheme. One of the only ways we have of manipulating the economy is by monkeying with the money supply. Now that we've started down that path, there is no way we would give that power to foreign nationals who's economies have different needs and demands. Personally, I say B.S.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a lot of autgraphed baseballs and bats some of Hall of Famers. They seem to keep their value pretty well.

The problem is so much of this stuff is faked that there is little chance people in the future will care. Want a Sandy Koufax Autograph? no problems, I can make one up for you right now.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
My son is betting on my basement full of packaged baseball figures, action toys, etc. Everything is wrapped in plastic bags to seal out air and moisture. He's cards too. I have thought of selling a figure myself to buy a couple new detectors now while I can still walk to detect. I don't think that when we're dead, we'll be able to detect. So do it while you can...............

Sandman

Anything made to be collected will not be collectable.

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I collect stamps. They are still very collectible, and USED commemoratives are getting scarcer, as well as certain used commercial rates on cover (the whole enveloper franked with, say, a Postmark Permit # or unusual usage). I keep any covers we get with *stamps* (not meters) in good condition that are used today for airmail, Priority Mail, express mail, etc.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Most things that arent made in ridiculously large quantities and werent advertised as being collectible.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this true? What do you mean by "a decent amount of money"?

I can see some early Jazz and Blues could be valuable.

ADDED I just read your link about vinyl and its interesting but I dont see these old scratched up records being any more than a passing fad for 16 year olds. Its hard to predict the future but I just dont see it. The more they are played, the worse they get. I think they will soon become bored with the poor quality sound. Do you think they will like to buy my 8 track tapes?

Crackles, scratches, and fuzzy static is what followers of hip-hop and electronic (and it's 1,000 sub-genres) WANT.
Plus everyone wants to be a D.J. and therefore dig in the crates for old crap no one would ever listen to in order to find that one track, beat, chorus or whatever to remix or incorporate into their "New" material.
Vinyl is alive and well.
Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Crackles, scratches, and fuzzy static is what followers of hip-hop and electronic (and it's 1,000 sub-genres) WANT.
Plus everyone wants to be a D.J. and therefore dig in the crates for old crap no one would ever listen to in order to find that one track, beat, chorus or whatever to remix or incorporate into their "New" material.
Vinyl is alive and well.
Cheers,
Dave.

Its so hilarious so re-read just how wrong and clueless that guy was back then and even sweeter yet, how much 'wronger' he's become in the two years since that post was made.

In the past couple of years, vintage vinyl has absolutely exploded in terms of popularity. Finding decent material 'in the wild' is manyfold harder than it was even in 2010.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but just because someone has one doesn't mean their opinion isn't misguided garbage.

Last edited:

alemanni

Jan 6, 2015
Pensacola, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything you think will be valuable or collectible, surely will not be....because 100000 other people will have the same thought.

I do not think most of the JUNK we create now days could ever be thought of as valuable either in the future. Most antiques etc that are of value show old world craftmanship (which we are short of now), or were lost/destroyed prior to anyone thinking ("what could this be worth some day").

I deal in literally almost a million dollars a year worth of antiques, and there is absolutely NOTHING (beyond gold/silver/gems/coins/currency etc) that I would even consider holding for the future. The only exception would be a top end, one of a kind item, that was not mass produced, and shows extreme quality and attention to detail.

To top that off you must consider storage, cost of storage, etc. (ie, is it worth tripping over a box of baseball cards you bought for $5 so you can sell it for $10 sometime in the next 20 years?)

Also capital is a major issue as well.....is it smarter to take that $5 and invest it in something that will make you $10 in 20 years....or is it smarter to take that $5 and invest it in something that will make you $6 tomorrow, $7 next week, $9 the week after etc......your capital has to COMPOUND. If it is not compounding you are not growing anything significant.

Just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread