What would happen if I found on a beach in Florida (land) a chest of coins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess bounty is in the hand of the holder!!!!!lol the video posted of the treasure chest is the bomb---busted a gut on that one

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spain comes in and makes back-room deals with the US to steal your treasure from you, that's what happens.
Jason, in Florida there are not only Spanish shipwrecks and treasures, there are also from other countries.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello? Yes........
-------------------
Is this the Florida Division of Historical Resources?
-------------------
OK, I was walking my dog about a quarter mile north of Chuck's Steak House, and he seems to have dug up a chest full of coins.
------------------
Well it seems most are gold, but there are a lot of silver and copper ones two.....
------------------
I have not really counted them, there's a whole lot of them....
------------------
No, I couldn't really get them all out of the ground, The chest wasn't really holding together too well, so I loaded about four hundred pounds of them into the back of my VW bug, and now they are all sitting in the yard of my ex girlfriends house in West Melbourne.
------------------
Oh yeah, I know exactly where the rest of it is......
------------------
Oh probably about another 400 lbs.... yeah, give or take.
Well, its just a VW, and it was starting to bottom out. you know?.....
-----------------
No there is no one there at all, not anymore, I used to date her in 1984
-----------------
Oh no, her family moved in 86, nobody lives there now.
-----------------
I don't know, I once looked for her on Facebook, I think she moved to Arizona.
-----------------
The HUD sticker on the front door says it last got repo'd in April 2009
-----------------
Yeah, so I just live in the car while its parked on the lawn.
-----------------
Yeah, he usually sleeps outside whenever we are there.
-----------------
Tallahasee? Isn't that like 20 minutes from Atlanta?, No, I've got two dollars to my name and maybe about 2 gallons of gas left.
----------------
Ok, I'll hold
----------------
Geez, you've been gone for 40 minutes, I almost fell asleep.
----------------
Application fee? Are you S***** me?
----------------
Well, can you mail me the forms? So how much do THEY cost?
----------------
Geez, That's a lot, I might have to pawn some of the stuff that I'm reporting to you.
----------------
OK, that's a little better, yeah I could probably scrape that together in about three weeks.
----------------
Notary? Oh S***, I don't know about that
----------------
No, I don't have a valid ID......
---------------
Department of building and safety? Where does that come in?
---------------

Padron. You have some concrete example (with official information) to corroborate what you say? I am very interested in knowing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you find a single coin or ring on the beach, slip it away like it ways junk and let nobody see it.

Last edited:

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
First of all, keep your mouth shut. Second of all, sell one at a time here or there. Third, if anyone asks, and they will, tell them it's just some old coin your grandpa gave you. Otherwise, just play fat, dumb and happy!

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Okay, so I'm fat, smart and not so happy. So there! I'll trade ya. I have a neighbor who many, many years ago had a neighbor who dug up a jar of gold coins. A big jar filled with $20 gold pieces. I guess the lady was poor and raising several kids on her own and asked my neighbor what to do. My neighbor told her don't tell anyone and to just sell one at a time. When they ask, say it was just some old coin your grandpa gave you. Sure enough, the first thing they asked at the bank was where did you get this?! Play dumb and don't give out, no matter how many drinks they buy ya.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Okay, so I'm fat, smart and not so happy. So there! I'll trade ya. I have a neighbor who many, many years ago had a neighbor who dug up a jar of gold coins. A big jar filled with $20 gold pieces. I guess the lady was poor and raising several kids on her own and asked my neighbor what to do. My neighbor told her don't tell anyone and to just sell one at a time. When they ask, say it was just some old coin your grandpa gave you. Sure enough, the first thing they asked at the bank was where did you get this?! Play dumb and don't give out, no matter how many drinks they buy ya.

The bank is NOT the place to take them!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks.
What would happen if I found on a beach in Florida (land) a chest of coins? And I want to do things legally!
I'm sure the answer will be very interesting! :treasurechest:

Call me and I will help you recover them under the darkness of the night and I will help you sell them off one at a time!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my shovel are ready to help you out. We can just sell them off a few at a time. Then again I do know a few collectors who only ask how much!

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:eek::confused:

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sell the coins on ebay one at a time over several months....go to coin dealers in several cities and sell them one or two...if they are rare then send several people you trust out at the same time to several cities and sell them on the dame day--rare coins will depreciate more if collectors know there are several of them and it will happen in hours.

streetshark1966

Feb 12, 2015
knox county ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver, fisher f5, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
state o florida will take. most of the east and southern coast you not even allowed to keep any thin older then 50 years old so shut your mouth mouth sit on your spot till after dark and no one is around and remove it then

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose lips sink ships, or in this case treasure chest.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Give me a call, I'd be happy to help.

Oh, and the ether soaked rag is for coin cleaning.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks.
What would happen if I found on a beach in Florida (land) a chest of coins? And I want to do things legally!
I'm sure the answer will be very interesting! :treasurechest:

If you do things "legally" you will likely be screwed out of everything. The laws being passed and the court decisions being made regarding found treasure are frankly disgusting.

If you hypothetically found it on private land that you were given permission to search I hope you made an agreement up front.

I hope your situation is more than hypothetical and I hope you slowly become rich by discreetly selling off your finds to a lot of different coin shops over the next several years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread