What's new

What Would You Call This One?

RPG

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I found this one about 25 years ago and never figured out what type it is. I know you guys can put a name on it. Thanks for the help.
Randy

Bumping this one up for the new guys on the forum.
 

Attachments

  • what4.webp
    what4.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 588
  • what5.webp
    what5.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where's it from? Anything ground on it?
 
It resembles a Beaver Lake or a Quad. It also look like it has a fluting nipple on it. Unusual point, that's for sure.
 
quito said:
Where's it from? Anything ground on it?
Found it in south Alabama. No grinding, the edge is sharp all the way to the base.

Thanks pickaway.
Randy
 
i have found paleo north of there that were not ground but fully functional and reworked to the hilt.
 
DorkFish said:
It resembles a Beaver Lake or a Quad. It also look like it has a fluting nipple on it. Unusual point, that's for sure.
Ditto
 
DorkFish said:
It resembles a Beaver Lake or a Quad. It also look like it has a fluting nipple on it. Unusual point, that's for sure.
DorkFish...Thanks for the tip. I don't think quad but I have been looking and beaver lakes and found one that
is really close. Not sure about the fluting nipple, I don't know how big a nipple would have been to make a flute.
Thanks everybody for your comments.
Randy
 
really nice paleo point, whatever it is, my guess would be quad, but who knows, it may be unique. I'd get that guy authenticated by an expert.
 
BTW, they used to call Beaver Lakes unfluted Cumberlands. Just an idea; it might be a cumberland minus fluting and grinding.
 
Thanks everyone...I am still not sure on this one. Does anyone know if there is an expert in the Alabama area that I could get to look
at it?
Randy
 
im no expert but it looks like a beaver lake to me
 
looks like a yababy to me!!! lol.thats what i would have said when i found it.
 
i think its a quad not a beaver lake.beaver lakes have a recurved blade,this doesnt.quads have the flared square auricles,this does.and sometimes quads are fluted,which explains the nipple.very nice piece.got my info from overstreet 10th addition.
 
RPG, the fluting "nipple" was a striking platform used to remove channel flakes.
Chuck
 
ohio said:
RPG, the fluting "nipple" was a striking platform used to remove channel flakes.
Chuck
ohio...I know what a fluting nipple is, just don't know how big they were before the flute was struck. Does this one look about the right size?
Randy
 
I am not positive of that. Maybe somebody who knaps flint will weigh in.
Chuck
 
greg-rocks said:
i think its a quad not a beaver lake.beaver lakes have a recurved blade,this doesnt.quads have the flared square auricles,this does.and sometimes quads are fluted,which explains the nipple.very nice piece.got my info from overstreet 10th addition.
I think you're probably right.
 
Bumping this one up for all the new guys

Hey artifact hunters. I'm bumping this one up for the new guys on the forum. What do you think? What type is it? It has the features of several different types but I'm not convinced on any of them.
Found in South Alabama.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom