What's new

What would you have done with the gold coins found in California?

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
1,059
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read the Calif. couple who found the cans of gold coins on their own property were contacted by the feds who think the coins may be part of an old historically significant heist and will confiscate them all, leaving the couple with only a "finders fee". Maybe the mint condition of the coins should have tipped the couple off? I don't know...Two million in gold weight and ten million graded and slabbed, but having them graded and slabbed is what tipped off the feds. I think I would have kept quiet and spent just a little now and then...What would you'll have done if you had made the find?
 
They should just have to give the fed the value of the coins at the time of the heist. Its not their fault it took the gov so long to find them.
 
I would have followed the advice of KVM & Glenn Carson, keep your mouth shut, and spend a little now and then, at that rate you can even pay your fair share of taxes if your so inclined. yep!
I find it amazing that the Feds always come swooping in when treasure is found, like with Doc Noss, etc.
Kinda makes ya wonder if the gold in Fort Knox is still there?
 
On CNN right now it says a spokesman from the mint says they have no reason to believe those coins are the stolen coins and have no interest in them.
 
drip feed them onto the market - slowly slowly!!!
 
Keep my mouth shut.
 
On CNN right now it says a spokesman from the mint says they have no reason to believe those coins are the stolen coins and have no interest in them.

Haven't seen that yet, thanks!
 
drip feed them onto the market - slowly slowly!!!

Damn right..... except 10 slowly(s).... I couldn't resist filming and taking pics of EVERYTHING. If...if....if the time line reported is correct "they" went way to fast. When I found the old buried leather saddlebags with gold coins back at my cave I told nobody... I mean I wouldn't tell anybody. And they should of just done a LOT OF RESEARCH .... away from their personal computer. The coins should of been removed off the property and put into another location. And then one by one researched from a computer not connected to the owners a long ways away.
 
I would probably have them graded over time. One here, two or three there. I would probably not have announced the find. Something of that value you will have buzzards from all over trying to get a slice.

If it came down to where I was fearing for my safety I would carry a handgun openly and go about my business the best I could.
 
ryaan21...Do not announce is right!... document everything... SLOWLY... very slowly. God bless
 
Yes , since these were found on the couple's property - they really could have quietly contacted potential buyers for individual coins -
and sold one or two here or there PRIVATELY ! With the money from just the sale of one / two pieces they could well have acquired
a numbered Swiss bank account (completely anonymous ) and safeguarded the balance of the hoard . I was dumbfounded that this
became a national and international news story !!!
 
High end ones overseas broker , private sales , off shore the $$ More common ones moved through regional auction houses, Hold some off the market for future The Big Key is They were found , So if you sold them for 5 million instead of marketing them at top dollar They would have still been ahead
 
I would keep a hundred or so nice ones just to have some 49er gold

others I suppose I would sell a few at a time. I know of nothing requiring me to announce the find. If I found a 50 pound nugget on my land I'm not telling the world! ( not again)
 
I would have sold one or two at a time over a long time. Put a couple hundred coins in safe keeping for my kids. Telling no one !!!!!!
 
Yes , since these were found on the couple's property - they really could have quietly contacted potential buyers for individual coins - and sold one or two here or there PRIVATELY ! With the money from just the sale of one / two pieces they could well have acquired a numbered Swiss bank account (completely anonymous ) and safeguarded the balance of the hoard . I was dumbfounded that this became a national and international news story !!!

Swiss Bank accounts are NOT anonymous!! If the US govt asks. they are given the info
 
Admired them, taken a few pics, sold a few and then put them right back where I found them. Been there for over a hundred years. Not likely anyone else would find them.
 
Rob, I believe there would be no way the U. S. govt. would know who or what to inquire into - as the accounts are secured privately .
If you have knowledge that this is not the case please enlighten us .
 
kept some, then trade the rest for gold and silver bullion slowly and stacked it to the roof.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom