What's new

What would you have done with the gold coins found in California?

80% keep and slowly sell over time.
10% donated anonymously to charity.
10% buried in a small wooden chest somewhere I love with clues left on TNet.
 
I would not advertise that I found them. As soon as word gets out the government and other people try to come up with a way to claim them. So I would sell them slowly and pay the taxes that I needed to, without anyone trying to claim it.
 
I would take the coins to the nearest coinstar machine. When no one is watching ill put them in the reject bowl. Then I would yell out hey these are cool rejected coins I found. No one would suspect anything. Dude
 
It depends. If it was leprechaun gold I would leave it. Their real nasty little creatures who will stop at nothing to get back their gold. If you doubt me see the movie.
 
I would take the coins to the nearest coinstar machine. When no one is watching ill put them in the reject bowl. Then I would yell out hey these are cool rejected coins I found. No one would suspect anything. Dude
I think you'd end up fighting Coinstars lawyers then, "they were found in our property so they are rightfully ours etc etc."
 
Kept my mouth shut. Which would have been nigh on impossible, but better than what they are going through
 
I would have done exactly what these people did. The government isn't confiscating these coins. And the mint says they were not stolen from there. So these people will pay the usual tax on this kind of lump sum, and that will be that. If I found these and someone in authority told me I would get five million after taxes, I would jump at that! I'm not a greedy person, and five million would change my family's life completely! I would be able to generate a lot more than $10 million with that kind of money over time with it as well.
 
Last edited:
You're supposed to keester them.
 
Well, as I have posted many times before, I would dispose of them one at a time, probably across the USA as I took trips. I would have found them 'on my property'. There is no way the government could prove that a particular coin came from a particular crime. There are no serial numbers on coins. Frank..
. 111-1 profilecracked.webp
 
Kept my mouth shut. "Loose Lips Sink Ships" as I have said a many a time. It's nobody's business on who, what, where and when you want to do business. Yabba-Dabba-Doo
 
I would have done exactly what these people did. The government isn't confiscating these coins. And the mint says they were not stolen from there. So these people will pay the usual tax on this kind of lump sum, and that will be that. If I found these and someone in authority told me I would get five million after taxes, I would jump at that! I'm not a greedy person, and five million would change my family's life completely! I would be able to generate a lot more than $10 million with that kind of money over time with it as well.
Pretty much the same thing I was going to say. I will add that anyone who thinks five million is not enough would not be happy with ten million either.
 
Last edited:
As it stands now, that couple will pay 55% of their profit to the feds, another big chunk to the state of CA, so who ever said they would realize about 5 million is probably close to right on. But if they end up in legal battles, then that will all change, and it's conceivable that could happen, (Mel Fisher comes to mind) and they might end up with little or nothing. By keeping your mouth shut, and managing the sales to maximize tax savings seems the most logical way to go. Anything you can legally do to minimize taxes is just good business sense. Does anyone know that if they just kept the coins, would they owe any tax at all, or taxes on the face value, or taxes on the guessed value of possible sales? I know back when Jimmy Carter was president I had to fight being forced to pay inheritance tax on the highest potential value of our property, which even though it was illegal to sub divide the land, the highest value was 5 acre parcels, and we were taxed on that amount that 5 acre parcels would bring in, even though it was then and still is an illegal subdivision. In the end we fought them, and ended up with a more reasonable tax, but both the feds and Oregon both tried to force us to pay on a thin air guess. In order for them to save on some taxes it might have been wise to move to Texas before putting them up for sale, no state income tax in Texas, and the feds would get theirs, but Calif. would possibly be saved. Don't know that for sure though, just sort of thinking out loud so to speak.
 
Last edited:
FYI... anybody who starts a thread and honestly shares everything while looking for advise and then finds something should SHUT-UP INSTANTLY... if something of significant value is found. This goes for the "couple" who found the gold coins. This goes for ship wrecks and anybody else who found a hoard of valuables... no matter how the coins or valuables got when somebody found them today. This is rare... and no matter how much you'd like stand up and SCREAM to the world what you found... there's always someone who will make it difficult or ask some bad questions. Especially if your off your property and find a TREASURE buried.
 
Last edited:
Tell no one and slowly sell them over time.
 
I would do the same thing that I have always done in the past. It has always worked well for me.
 
Look at all those who condemned me ~ my my.:icon_scratch:
 
Bloodline again please read our rules and follow them....One of our rules is you can not attack or insult other members.

Another rule is language; substituting characters for letters does not make a word okay..








American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
Last edited:
Bloodline again please read our rules and follow them....One of our rules is you can not attack or insult other members.

Another rule is language; substituting characters for letters does not make a word okay..







American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......




I see how its ok for some but not for others.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom