What would you Risk? To what Links would you go...?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
This is just a fun curiosity question I am throwing out there. How far is too far to search for silver? At what point does the time out weigh possible profit? I will admit I have risked ware and tare on my vehicle and on my wallet for the cost of fuel to find the coveted precious metal. In my mind and opinion it has been worth the effort because I (1.) enjoyed the ride and the thrill of the hunt and not knowing what you may find. (2.) I have nearly always come back with pockets full of silver sometimes more. That more than pays for gas and food and time. In my travels I have been to Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolinaand of course all over Virginia. Yeah I am crazy. I am even thinking of expanding to Kentucky, Tennessee and maybe Ohio so watch out y'all.

Just wondering what you guys would risk in this Hobie. If the Wife said it is silver or me which would you choose. I know some here would be tempted to choose your wife....but come on ;D . Do you have any regrets on the amount of time you have spent or money??? I am anxious to hear about it. Thanks.

Golden Silver

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
golden silver said:
This is just a fun curiosity question I am throwing out there. How far is too far to search for silver? At what point does the time out weigh possible profit? I will admit I have risked ware and tare on my vehicle and on my wallet for the cost of fuel to find the coveted precious metal. In my mind and opinion it has been worth the effort because I (1.) enjoyed the ride and the thrill of the hunt and not knowing what you may find. (2.) I have nearly always come back with pockets full of silver sometimes more. That more than pays for gas and food and time. In my travels I have been to Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolinaand of course all over Virginia. Yeah I am crazy. I am even thinking of expanding to Kentucky, Tennessee and maybe Ohio so watch out y'all.

Just wondering what you guys would risk in this Hobie. If the Wife said it is silver or me which would you choose. I know some here would be tempted to choose your wife....but come on ;D . Do you have any regrets on the amount of time you have spent or money??? I am anxious to hear about it. Thanks.

Golden Silver
I gave up Road trips for road trips sake in Jan 10 was coming up dry or barely paying for the gas let alone wear tear on my PU truck so quit, 3 of 4 trips were dismal, but did hit my biggest single day road trip which was a trip for other reasons that hit some Banks on about 3 weeks ago, got 175 Silvers from 2 of 23 Banks I hit.

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
That is right OB it just takes one bank and a few rolls to turn a bummer day into a worthwhile trip.

golden silver

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
i usually do a road trip about once a week. usually do 150 to 200 miles round trip. Seems lately that every area i go into, the banks tell me there was someone just here (either that day or the day before). Road trips as of late have not been good at all. seriously thinking of just doing more boxes instead of road trips. Been doing this since before i was married to the wife, so she knew was she was in for. She still puts up with it after 23 years.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Do you stay over night when you go? If so, that's an added cost. I only "road trip" around my area and that takes about four hours. Then I'm home. If I do travel somewhere for another reason, then I'll stop at banks if I have the time.
rileyboy

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Sometimes it can be a road trip that is only 20 miles out of town but that one stop can make up for six months of minimal finds :icon_thumright:

Maine_Jim

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
not much for me
just whatever is in the immediate area for errands / work
my leash is quite short

hh

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Friends and spouse thought I was a little nuts when I started 3 years ago. I'd go into every bank and CU I came across for a full year and a half. Even my old man thought it was a little "immoral" for me to be "using" the banks for that purpose, even tho he never came right out and said it.
Something happened and after awhile I felt a little nauseated at thought of road trippin, or even entering a bank. I quit for awhile, and really only crh'd during the winter months.
Due to heavy competition in my area for the last 2 years, and other hobbies, I now may search a few dimes, and the occasional road trips to only banks that I have an account at.
It's gotten quite rediculous for me to go after the dimes, it's so much cheaper to buy them outright. It's probably cheaper to buy my halves outright too; I'm more of a collector than a hoarder, but I honestly love to roll hunt. ffd

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
rileyboy, sometimes I do stay in a cheap motel or sleep a few hours in my car but I don't mind if I come home with hundreds of silver coins. I think of it as an investment. My road trips used to be only 4hrs or so. Not any more.

Golden silver

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
golden silver said:

Golden Silver

When it comes to time and effort, I am fine with it all. I figure that I go to play golf and 1) I drive there and back, and 2) it COSTS me $80 or so to play the game! Ohhh, and 3) I gotta buy golf shoes, golf balls, clubs, etc, etc.

With CRH, I drive, but it doen'st cost me anything. If I come out with zero silver, the fun I had was close to or some times better than golf, and yet it didn't take special clothes or shoes and had no fees. If i DO find silver, then I actually get that gas and vehicle tear paid for, which NEVER happens when I play golf.

So if you go into it thinking of it as a hobby that is bringing you PLEASURE, then it is the cheapest hobby I have (except for that ryedale. But that's a different story! LOL) and one I don't worry about the costs on. ;D

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My road trip could last up to 8 hrs. But I won't stay in a motel. That's the bottom line. Got to get back the same night.

On the other hand, if I have a business trip to a new territory (usually out of state), I will try to take a one-day vacation if the situation allows so I can stay one extra day doing CRHing in that area.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta try road trips! During the summer months I am off on Fridays. Thinking I will make some rounds and see what I can find. Will get a map, notebook, and think things out so I won't repeat or get on the tellers nerves.

apush :read2:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with jrf30 on this one. There really is no limit, so long as you aren't skipping buying food for the kids to be able to order that extra box.

Let's face it, all hobbies cost money. Whether you golf, hunt, fish, race cars, play frisbee golf, attend Star Trek conventions, or whatever there is a cost associated with your chosen activity. If you're having fun, and can afford to do what you're doing, then I say go for it! At least CRHing does at least have the potential to put a little extra change in your pocket...unlike most hobbies.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cost already exceeds the finds for me when it comes to searching halves. It's pretty dry around here and I'm not about to spend all of my time carting boxes of halves back and forth to the bank. So I'm sure that is good news to the other coin roll hunters in my area. :wink:

I stick with pennies and the occasional CWR of halves. I just spend the halves instead of dumping them so that tells you how few I do. But I really enjoy doing pennies. It's a hobby so I can easily take it or leave it depending on what else is going on in my life.

Personally, I think some of you guys are completely insane! ;D

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just do short road trips around my city. Sometimes I'll go like 20 or 30 miles to hit several out of town banks. I would like to go on a longer road trip, but I don't have tons of money to put into the crh. I usually do like a grand a week, sometimes a little more. A long out of state road trip would just take too much in gas money for me. I don't think I'd choose the silver over the ole lady, I'm getting married in July. She really doesn't mind me searching the coin. I use my money, not our money. She actually gets excited when I find a good haul. She sees that I enjoy it, so she has nothing against it.

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
ArkieBassMan said:
I'm with jrf30 on this one. There really is no limit, so long as you aren't skipping buying food for the kids to be able to order that extra box.

Let's face it, all hobbies cost money. Whether you golf, hunt, fish, race cars, play frisbee golf, attend Star Trek conventions, or whatever there is a cost associated with your chosen activity. If you're having fun, and can afford to do what you're doing, then I say go for it! At least CRHing does at least have the potential to put a little extra change in your pocket...unlike most hobbies.

that's what i like about crh'ng
potential for a little extra in the pocket
it's fun
it's enjoyable
it's exciting
it's (relatively) cheap
and, at least for me, it do what i can between home & work
hh

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seldom do road trips myself. When I do I rarely find anything. GS, I think the term is is lengths not links. ::)
HH
gilbert

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's got ya there.. it is "to what lengths would you go?" But it's all good, we knew what ya meant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread