Whatcha Think - Meteorite?

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
My friend came up with this sucker. Weighs about 40lbs and registers on my MXT as Nickel/Ring. Between 16 and 20 on Relic Mode. This has gotta be worth a truckload? Note my Durango key next to it for size.

Meteorite 1.jpg

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it passes the density test. Does a magnet stick to it? The sharp edges would throw me off, but you cant ignore the weight. Some ores are very dense and will cause a false reading on rocks. This is because their GB is lower than the dirt around them. Meteorites are sold by the gram. You also need to know some are more rare than others. I would be wary of loaning or having this sent out to be checked. There used to be a guy who posted a lot of stuff about meteorites but he has disappeared of the net. He had a lot of good info, but think he got beat up and just quit posting. You have a nice specimen there if it is real. Im still looking for my first meteorite.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be a guy who posted a lot of stuff about meteorites but he has disappeared of the net. He had a lot of good info, but think he got beat up and just quit posting.

That sucks.

I think we need to be respectful here and so enjoy what folks bring - especially knowledge and experience.

I like looking for meteorites, and could use all the help I can get.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My treasure hunting buddy and I found a 25 pound meteorite back in 1983 and contacted a fellow named Harold Povenmire in Indian River, Florida, who was an authority on these things. He actually came up to Destin, Florida and authenticated the rock. Try looking under the Grayton Beach Meteorite in Google and you might get his address and contact him! Good Luck-Looks Real!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks right for one.
One good way to test it is to find a rock shop with a diamond saw and have a corner sawed off.

if its a nickel iron take some nitric acid acid and wipe the fresh cut surface and see if its got a Wigmanstatten pattern.

if it is a meteorite you want to search the area around the find for more pieces because your ? looks like a broken fragment of a larger fall and may be part of a strewn field.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...d=216328173826848159086.0004bdc04c4652608ff44

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a site that looks good.

Meteorite Home Tests

Lots of people seem to think the acid etch pattern is conclusive, have been doing some reading and have found that some( a "rare" type) do not display this. The worlds largest meteor has the high percent nickel like 16%, and does not produce this pattern.

The Giant Crystal Project : Largest Meteoritic Iron : Hoba Meteorite Namibia

Maybe the percentage of nickel is a better test. Does anyone know of a easy to get chemical test for the nickel % or is this something that just has to be done by a laboratory ?

Hmm found some place that has a nickel presence test would this be of use I am wondering?

Nickel Spot Test

OUt of time to do searches (dial-up is slow man!) must go do todays shopping and then metal detect someplace.

Good luck on your meteor (right) hopefully!

CARM

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a true story about charlie chaplin.

Charlie Chaplin once entered a charlie chaplin look a like contest.....he came in 3rd place.

You might have a nice meteorite, don't rely on public opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread