When you walk out onto a new site what do you look at first?
When coin/relic hunting: (old sites)
What it looks like now and compared to the old maps, even a rough idea will do.
Then I look for likely spots to loose coinage and such, i.e fields, old trees, wells and so on.
When coin shooting: (modern sites)
I just walk trough it all.
And just general speaking I:
Look where people are/where likely to gather in masses, if it is tight there is a bigger chance to loose coins etc.
Looks for where people where likely to travel in general, roads are forgotten treasure chests in some places.
how do you evaluate an area?
I look at old maps the more old buildings close by the better.
I talk to locals
I look how much land the owner had
I look when it was build, remember banks came first in the late 1800's.
What landmarks do you look for and why?
I look for old trees, when it was hot out side they had no AC back in the time so they had a seat under a tree for shadow.
I look for old wells, logical they needed water and it's easy to loose stuff when hauling buckets.
Large rocks, if you wanted to hide something why not do it in a location thats easy to find?
Barns/buildings/ruins, daily traffic there from people back in the days.
