What's new

When was your first Gold Find

Oddjob

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2012
Messages
4,356
Reaction score
9,077
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Was just wondering if people still remember their first ever gold find whilst MDing and what was it?

I still remember my first gold, but have forgotten most after that. Mine was at Medina Lake back in the mid 80s and it was a White Gold ring with 3 Pearls, one big center and two smaller on the sides.

Back then took it to a place called Shultz in San Antonio to get it cleaned up, he said it was from the 20s and he offered me 700 bucks.

One of the very few items I have kept.

SO what is yours?
 
4-4.5 years ago was my 1st. I remember the park and general area in that park, and I remember it was a thin womans ring below nickel range but not much more than that do I recall. Smashed prongs with no jewels it's not worth much so I still have it as a milestone piece.

I can walk you to exactly where I found the honkers in the years afterwords though!
 
Oh yeah! January 13th, the year of Hurricane Sandy. 1774 gold Guinea on the TOP of the sand!
 
Gold tooth in my omelet...
Lost by the cook in the galley.

Reward for returning was a jar of dirt.

:P
 
Who can ever forget their 1st gold find?
My first gold find was actually an eyeball find at Hungry Mother State Park in VA, a 10k signet ring when I was a preteen.
My 1st detector find was just off the edge of a soccer field, a large 14k gold bracelet 3-4" down. Broken clasp.
 
Yep. Last year during the blazing summer heat I pulled a lunker of a men's white and yellow gold wedding ring. (15 grams) Immediately sold it and bought a better machine. Have yet to sell anyting else I've found, but man, did I need a new detector. :laughing7:
 
Its sad but i am one of those people that does not remember. I know it was a ring and im pretty sure it was found On Whiteman AFB in Missouri back in the late 70s. If i had to guess, it was likely a Wedding band. I remember when the early 80s came around and gold almost hit 1000 per ounce...i sold everything when gold was in the low 900s. Now...if i could just forget my first wife!
 
At my local park in the grass by the pool.It was a wedding band .It was only an inch down so fairly recent.I felt pretty sorry for the person,so I put it on our local radio station and paper but not even 1 response .I sent it in with some other scrap gold a few years later.
 
Was just wondering if people still remember their first ever gold find whilst MDing and what was it?

I still remember my first gold, but have forgotten most after that. Mine was at Medina Lake back in the mid 80s and it was a White Gold ring with 3 Pearls, one big center and two smaller on the sides.

Back then took it to a place called Shultz in San Antonio to get it cleaned up, he said it was from the 20s and he offered me 700 bucks.

One of the very few items I have kept.

SO what is yours?

For me it was 1998 with my 1st detector 'Whites Classic 3' 'No ID'.

I went to a spot on the local lake where a rope swing was ,as I recall through the mid 80's onward . Long since built over with a Subdivision.

They drain this lake every Winter so the Water was low , I was basically checking every signal then I found a nice smaller with diamonds 10 k I think. A GREAT feeling it was.

I gave it to my Mom, then almost 10 years later I eyeballed it in the Backyard, I think Mom R.I.P.
lost it but did not have the heart to tell me.

I still have it somewhere, I'm pretty sure. :icon_thumleft:
 
Not sad at all mate, it happens when you find more than your fair share, then combine that with decades of hunting. I have forgotten many items it happens.



Its sad but i am one of those people that does not remember. I know it was a ring and im pretty sure it was found On Whiteman AFB in Missouri back in the late 70s. If i had to guess, it was likely a Wedding band. I remember when the early 80s came around and gold almost hit 1000 per ounce...i sold everything when gold was in the low 900s. Now...if i could just forget my first wife!
 
Mine was 9/5/2015, 16 months after I began detecting, I dig a small inscribed gold pocket watch.

20150908_213726.webp20150908_213757.webp
 
Last summer, my 2nd year detecting...one of those "dig EVERY signal" days...paid off with a nice, dainty 18k ladies ring...still waiting for my 2nd...Ddf
 
I was detecting on a beach on the Oregon coast a few years ago. Found a man's white gold wedding band. I still remember how different the ping was on my MXT. I'd never heard that before ----- what a rush. I'd found other rings, plated, and they don't sound the same. One disappointing ring was found at a log cabin get away on the river, that had been owned by what I assume was a cheap skate doctor, who was being cheap and sneaky with his girl friends. I found a diamond engagement ring, except chunks of the plating was coming off, and the rock was not a diamond, probably glass. That one was a boom to bust, so I don't count that one as my first real gold find.
 
10k class ring on a ball field in Monroe, MI in 1983 - returned. The last one was a 10k band at a park tot lot swing set in Plymouth, Mass in '87. Gave it to my wife and she divorced me for another fellow - took a while to recover from that. A long absence from the hobby afterwards.

But! I'm back and hungry for gold :) I will say that I did get some color panning in South Western NC a few years ago.
 
Dude does that still work?

Wished it did, it was buried for quite a while. I played hell digging it out of some roots.
 
1976 - age 13 - 14k antique ring with turquoise stone - found on football of old school
I gave it to my mother to wear
I have found over 1000 gold items since then
 
14 Kt white gold men's wedding band in a park in Burbank, Calif. 1988
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom