South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Where did I find my gold pieces and silver chunks?
I do not mind telling since I will never return there and it was a long time ago.
It was on the South West side of Sabastian Inlet very close to the Indian River.
This is one of the reasons that I keep saying that there is TREASURE in the Indian River.
I also suggest that if there is anyone with a fiberglass JON boat that they can attach a MAG or MD to the bottom and search this area without anyone being the wiser.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What was the name of the vessel that Fontaneda was traveling in when we wrecked?

Thanks,

Chagy......

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
About the 1500's wrecks, I just talked with an archaeologist from U. of West FL (at the DEMA show today) and she told me about the 1559 ship of Tristan de Luna that was recently found. The wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico get buried by sand very easily. There was only one ballast stone exposed above the sand. Also after almost 600 years, the wrecks are so deteriorated that they are absorbed into the reefs and disappear forever. Thats why it is so important to find and excavate them before they disappear forever. So much for "in situ" preservation!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Pete,
This is also a prime reason that when you find something like maybe a cannon that you should use more than one loop when trying to raise it-RIGHT? ;D ;D ;D AND make sure your MD is working.
Cajun Dave is a trip is he not?
Peg leg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Attachments

• ais indian pottery.jpg
    ais indian pottery.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,111
  • ais indian pottery.jpg
    ais indian pottery.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,121

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Pottery shards sell for about $0.50 to over $5.00 each. It is according to the design.
I have sold quite a few pieces over the years but since I lost my leg I have been unable to go and pickup a few thousand pieces-I know where it is and there is over a milliion pieces to be had AND THAT IS THE TRUTH.
Got an airboat we can go and pick up a few thousand pieces in an hour or less.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy said:
What was the name of the vessel that Fontaneda was traveling in when we wrecked?

Thanks,

Chagy......

Anyone?

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chagy... The name of the ship was never mentioned in any of my research, but I believe she may have been wrecked in 1545. The date fits Fontaneda's enslavement period and his return with Menendez in 1565.

1545 - A vessel was wrecked upon the coast of Florida and, of its crew of 200 souls, some were slain by the natives and the remainder reduced to slavery. Source: Woodbury Lowery, The Spanish Settlements Within The Present Limits Of The United States, 1513-1561.

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Jeff,

Dont you find that kinda weird? Does he mention anything at all about the vessel he was traveling in? Where it was he coming from? What were they carring?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is an interesting story of the Spanish fort at Santa Lucia. Story By Kevin Hemstock, Managing Editor Previously printed in The Jupiter Courier, 1993 http://www.jupiter.fl.us/HistoryWeb/Story-of-Santa-Lucia.cfm

The only first-hand account of Santa Lucia comes from testimony given later by one of the soldiers, Diego Lopez, self-described artilleryman. In his account, he describes finding the Indian chief there being called "Gega" or Jega, and " ... him wanting to make war on us." The Spanish had great respect for the ferocity of the Jaegas. In a 1623 communication to the Spanish Crown, translated by Lyon, a Spanish nobleman notes concerns over depredations by the Indians on shipwrecks in the area: "I have called your attention of Your Majesty many times to the evil reception which the Indians of the coasts of Jega and Santa Lucia give the Spanish who escape from the shipwrecks, killing them all with much cruelty that is is a terrible thing — and to the importance of seeing the damage they are doing."

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeff,

Are you sure its Cartagena Colombia or Cartagena Spain?

Chagy.....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was probably Spain. Cartagena De Indias, Colombia was formed in 1533, but he probably was born in Cartagena, Spain.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The topic here is "WHERE IS ALL THE GOLD AND SILVER"?
I can tell you for sure it is not where anyone who does not spend the time actually looking for!
You can spend the rest of your days posting here and asking questions BUT until you get off your butts you AIN'T gonna find a damn thing.
Where the is treasure has been answered MANY MANY but not one wants to go after it.
I do not know what the problem is.
I have told those on this forum about the Ghost Ship and another wreck 2 miles away in less than 10 feet of water. There has even been SSS photos posted and STILL noone wants to go after it BECAUSE there are a few creatures around and the VIS is "O".
OF COURSE WHEN I START RECOVERING A FEW GOLD OBJECTS THEN EVER BODY WANTS TO GET INVOLVED.
I know that most of you get tired of all my postings but I DO NOT BLOW SMOKE and I tell it like I see it.
Most of my life I have been a LAND Treasure Hunter but during the past 10 years I have switched to looking for treasure from the Sea and I might add have had some good luck but easy come easy go.
This has been bothering me for quite some time and I had to get it off my chest.
I hope that I do not upset too many people but OH WELL.
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last week Pegleg wrote: To make a log story short they found the remains of not one but two ships in the marsh in the mud. As he understood these ship went down in 1843 and were commercial English ships. They found a bell. (re the GHOST SHIP)

Today Pegleg wrote: I have told those on this forum about the Ghost Ship and another wreck 2 miles away in less than 10 feet of water. There has even been SSS photos posted and STILL noone wants to go after it BECAUSE there are a few creatures around and the VIS is "O".

It probably has less to do with creatures and 0 viz and more to do with the fact that it isn't cost effective.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Peg Leg said:
Pottery shards sell for about $0.50 to over $5.00 each. It is according to the design.
I have sold quite a few pieces over the years but since I lost my leg I have been unable to go and pickup a few thousand pieces-I know where it is and there is over a milliion pieces to be had AND THAT IS THE TRUTH.
Got an airboat we can go and pick up a few thousand pieces in an hour or less.
Peg Leg
I don't have access to an airboat anymore.... ...canoe?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
mad4wrecks said:
Last week Pegleg wrote: To make a log story short they found the remains of not one but two ships in the marsh in the mud. As he understood these ship went down in 1843 and were commercial English ships. They found a bell. (re the GHOST SHIP)

Today Pegleg wrote: I have told those on this forum about the Ghost Ship and another wreck 2 miles away in less than 10 feet of water. There has even been SSS photos posted and STILL noone wants to go after it BECAUSE there are a few creatures around and the VIS is "O".

It probably has less to do with creatures and 0 viz and more to do with the fact that it isn't cost effective.
Tom
you neeed to go back and read what I said again.
I never said that I found a bell, I was looking for one that was reported to have been recovered but never found it.
I think that I said that one ship was from around 1843.
The GHOST SHIP is believed to be from around the early 1500's.
I am NOT asking for anyone to invest a penny.
I AM looking for a FEW PEOPLE with the right equipment.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread