Hey, Mr Sapper, good question, all the replies are right on it. I guess I'm one of the guilty old timers, (started 30 years ago). Now I have to deal with it like everyone else, here are some hints...Since the pickins used to be easy we did discriminate out all but the silver, but most of us just wanted the easy ones so the ones near the junk are still there, dig the iffy signals! Also get the bigger coil and go deeper than we could have in the 70's and 80's! Best tip of all is research! We usually just hit the obvious places then moved on...
This past April I found an abandoned lot in my town on Google maps, looked it up on an 1890 map and it was a horse corral for a long gone railroad depot...hit it with the detector and in less than an hour had a 70 year old dime and the only Peace dollar I have ever found (1922), sat there all these years. Do your research, get the big coil, and dig the iffies, that's about it...happy hunting.