What's new

Where should I start on this property???

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
7,808
Reaction score
779
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bradenton, Fl
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'm so excited. I have the opportunity to hunt a private property that is dated back to 1682!!! So here is what is on the property:

1. Spring house
2. Rock which was part of the original 1682 home
3. Depression: probably where the tunnel came out of the underground railroad
4.Flat area where the carriage trail was to the upper part of the property (where the 2nd house was located but not part of this current site)
6. Old trash dump from around the 1930's
7. Mica quarry area (small)
8. Stream, where a gold ring was known to be lost
9. Depression where there was a huge old sycamore tree cut down
10. Front yard of the 3rd house built on the property, still several hundred years old but has newer additions
11. Wooded area that was a known pathway

So ........list the order you would hunt these areas! I just can't decide where to begin.
 
No idea, not there. Give me an address and I'll try to show you!
 
I would start with either the footpath or the home. I would think that those would be most likely to have things that may have fallen from a pocket or bag. I would also check around the base of trees near the homesite as well. Base of trees would be likely place to hide a cache.

redwolf
 
Anywhere seems to be a good start, what an awesome site! I would try to do a grid pattern through the whole area or at least detectable areas. The sunny side of the house would have had a clothes line. Pictures of the site would be great. Good luck and HH, Mike
 
1, 10, 8, 2, 11, 4, 3, 6, 9, 7.
 
I would walk the property lines and hit below/around all of the biggest trees. Good luck!
 
I'm with Mike, grid it off..hit the spots one by one with just a cherry picking type hunt at first and see what grid will be the most productive. hunt it hard and move to the next :wink:

so many great locations like that you'll be hunting that property for while :thumbsup:

Good Luck
 
cntrydncr1,
I would start at the "Old trash dump from
around the 1930's"

Would dig deep and try to find why folks
were using it as a trash dump in the 30's.

Under that 30's junk could be some nice finds. :wink:

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE
 
It really depends on the amount of time you have to hunt the property. If you only have permission for just one hunt, you've gotta hit the areas that had the most traffic and you have to do the ole "cherry picking" hunt. Dig only the solid signals and dont spend anytime on the Iffy signals. If you have permission to hunt it at your leasure, then it really dont matter where ya start.
 
Let me know when the weather clears this spring and I'll schedule a flight into the Philadelphia International Airport....

We can work on the plan of attack when I get there :thumbsup:
 
8

The stream would be the center of many activities... swimming, fishing, watering animals, clothes washing, maybe picnic-ing (picnicking?). Look for any paths that cross the stream and detect in the water if possible. Also, picture the entire estate under different conditions -- i.e. dark of night, snow-covered, flooded/muddy, etc. I would research previous tenants and try to learn their occupations --- look online for old maps and census reports. Sounds like you can't go wrong with any choice.

Good Luck!!!
Dan
 
cntrydncr1 said:
I'm so excited. I have the opportunity to hunt a private property that is dated back to 1682!!! So here is what is on the property:

3. Depression: probably where the tunnel came out of the underground railroad
4.Flat area where the carriage trail was to the upper part of the property (where the 2nd house was located but not part of this current site)
6. Old trash dump from around the 1930's
7. Mica quarry area (small)
8. Stream, where a gold ring was known to be lost
9. Depression where there was a huge old sycamore tree cut down
10. Front yard of the 3rd house built on the property, still several hundred years old but has newer additions
11. Wooded area that was a known pathway

So ........list the order you would hunt these areas! I just can't decide where to begin.

my gussess
1. Spring house
2. Rock which was part of the original 1682 home
 
10, 9, 8 & 2 would be my first priorities.

Stuff rolls off porches, laundry was done and hung out to dry not far from the house and the lines would be tied to trees or poles.
Trees were popular picnic areas and the streams were also good gathering places.

Al
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom