Where would you prospect on this sand bar?

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where would you prospect on this sand bar? Would like some ideas before I suit in a wet suit. I have a vague idea, but would like others to input to put me. I'll be positioning a small boat somewhere on the photo.

Thanks to every one in advance!

riverPropsect.JPG

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I'd first look into the laws in your state about dredging in a waterway close to a bridge ! Then I'd refer to the fact that gold drops out when the water slows down .I'd say that the picture you posted is looking down stream. I'd also want to look at the sandbar furthest away from the front of the picture ! sample, sample, sample! GOODLUCK I wish I could assist you BUT I'm old and sore enough!

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You aren't the only one old and sore. The water is coming towards the bottom of the image from what I gather is from flood water. Are you suggesting the area at the bottom of the frame or at the top? Thanks for your advice.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd steer clear of a sand bar and look for a gravel deposit upstream. All I can see in your pic is a lot of unrewarding work.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yep I again read this stream's flow ! I got the flow direction going the wrong way! I agree with Underburden's post ! Look for the bigger gravel.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far... great advice. I'll head for gravel bars, not sand bars. Thanks.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll also say the sand is not usually very productive. If it’s a mixture of sand and gravel though. One of my best spots is a sand/gravel bar. Big stones locked up in sands and gravel. 10 feet away is all sand and hardly a spec. Crazy how it works sometimes.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd steer clear of a sand bar and look for a gravel deposit upstream. All I can see in your pic is a lot of unrewarding work.

Are these rocks large enough? I "plan" to explore them in the late spring if my parts hold up. I am somehow starting to feel like russau.

riverProspect_01.JPG

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have good luck working on the back sides of larger stones with my sucker tube.

I find my best gold (in Ohio) around stones that are soft ball size and bigger. I find I do better on outside bends. Find a pile of rocks on a nice sweeping outside bend. Bingo.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In reply to russau - Parts, not equipment pieces are starting to wear out and performance is degrading at a faster rate than I thought it was going to. Perhaps this is more of what I should be looking at in the image below... slightly larger than fine sand! Logic is zero and minus one.

riverProspect_01.JPG

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd search the land area as well, where the bridge construction workers may have sat to eat or whatever, maybe there's some nice coins just waiting for you!
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd search the land area as well, where the bridge construction workers may have sat to eat or whatever, maybe there's some nice coins just waiting for you!
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Never really thought of MD'ing for coins or artifacts that didn't necessarily appear in the pan or sluice. Thanks.

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm personally not a big fan of urban prospecting. Stay away from the bridges and structures as others have mentioned. The blow sand may contain some super fine flood gold but those are yearly and newly created sandbars. Look for larger cobble bars and where gold may have concentrated during mass flooding events. Good luck out there!

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ll also say the sand is not usually very productive. If it’s a mixture of sand and gravel though. One of my best spots is a sand/gravel bar. Big stones locked up in sands and gravel. 10 feet away is all sand and hardly a spec. Crazy how it works sometimes.

I had owned a small farm(109 acres) in North Carolina that two streams flowing through it that were mostly sand bottoms and bars. I could have processed two dozen dump trucks and would have been lucky to have recovered two grams of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread