Wheres your favorite place to prospect?

metaldetectingwiz83

May 30, 2013
Everett
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beaches are the best place well to find items lol! the place i want to go next is to a shipwreck area :) what about you?

OP
OP
taternut

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My personal favorite is digging behind a big rock in the water. I like the physical aspect but being in the creek/river cools you down. I've only found a few flakes because I just started prospecting a few months ago but that's pretty much the only place I've found color.

metaldetectingwiz83

May 30, 2013
Everett
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya they do tend to cool you down after you've been digging. I found a gold flake near my beach and I am stoked to go back there to see if I can get more :) I just started M D last week and my muscles were so very sore that I couldn't even get myself outta bed lol!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with taternut. Top six to nine inches and behind rocks & boulders. In known gold locations, I have yet to be disappointed:thumbsup:. Cracks and crevices will likely be better, but I need more tools, knowledge and experience.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Bedrock or bust! I need to have a confident day here in NH the mountains are very very old and no real lodes. Its all glacial and always deep, Irene helped but much flood gold here. 38 days till im digging in colorado tho!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
My greatest success has been searching the wife's purse!
killingme.gif

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold miners make the bedrock-that last 6" on/before is always the best :hello2: all nice and concentrated in a purty screaming golden paystreak shimmering from the sun underwater,as your heart thumps away so loud you can hear the roar a the fever in your ears as ya suck it up.....addict yep and proud of it-John :laughing7:

Attachments

• 05-31-2011 08;41;40AM.JPG
    05-31-2011 08;41;40AM.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 121

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bedrock or bust! I need to have a confident day here in NH the mountains are very very old and no real lodes. Its all glacial and always deep, Irene helped but much flood gold here. 38 days till im digging in colorado tho!!!

Hey, where will you be in Colorado?

...my fav places are the creeks of south metro Denver (near home so easy to get to and easy to get permission for) - where the bigger rocks settle in the creek is usually where the gold settles too.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold miners make the bedrock-that last 6" on/before is always the best :hello2: all nice and concentrated in a purty screaming golden paystreak shimmering from the sun underwater,as your heart thumps away so loud you can hear the roar a the fever in your ears as ya suck it up.....addict yep and proud of it-John :laughing7:

Only happened a couple times for me, but best memories ever! Laying in zero gravity, little fishes looking over my shoulder, watching the water-magnified gold
lazily entering the suction nozzle - "I'm KING of the world!!

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Kevin. Ill be staying in denver for a day or two but im looking to camp in the mountains. My buddy who just wen prospecting for the first time this week lives in cherry creek and is hitting clear creek this weekend. I would like to hit it too but i think my time will be better spent on cache creek or a tributary of the Arkansas. Correct me if im wrong but i hear that cache has better gold. Im staying for 6 days and prospecting for 5 of them. Any info would be very appreciated. Colorado is nothing like where im from.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wherever I can get the free help to do the work for me :occasion14: Otherwise small side washes are best for me. Less overburden to get to the bedrock and usually more likely to be overlooked and not overworked.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin. Ill be staying in denver for a day or two but im looking to camp in the mountains. My buddy who just wen prospecting for the first time this week lives in cherry creek and is hitting clear creek this weekend. I would like to hit it too but i think my time will be better spent on cache creek or a tributary of the Arkansas. Correct me if im wrong but i hear that cache has better gold. Im staying for 6 days and prospecting for 5 of them. Any info would be very appreciated. Colorado is nothing like where im from.

The gold I've seen from Cache Creek looks really good so I encourage that as long as you are ok with non-motorized only. Clear creek allows dredges in the canyon! (Most places anyway)

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• DO-01.jpg
    DO-01.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DO-02.jpg
    DO-02.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite spots are ones that are close to where I live and easy to walk to. I like to take quick trips after work, 20 mins to get to the river, 30mins test panning and poking around and about an hour of classifying. I take the concentrates home and pan them out at liesure. So I look for bends and gravel bars that I can park my car close to, my arms would fall off if I had to haul full buckets further than a hundred yards or so. I just use a pan and shovel, quick and easy. I usually stay out of the water, and I don't mess with boulders, so far all the gold I've found is fine glacial float and I haven't had much luck finding anything bigger under boulders. Too much effort not enough reward, me and my back are happier taking the fine gold right off the top.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everywhere... Its all about the hunt and the challenges of the terrain!!! Their is nothing that competes to prospecting in my book..I climb Mountains and I ford rivers and explore mines, combating heat, cold, insects and wildlife. And that is just the usual stuff..No DAY IS EVER THE SAME.. Prospecting is Code for ADVENTURE!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everywhere... Its all about the hunt and the challenges of the terrain!!! Their is nothing that competes to prospecting in my book..I climb Mountains and I ford rivers and explore mines, combating heat, cold, insects and wildlife. And that is just the usual stuff..No DAY IS EVER THE SAME.. Prospecting is Code for ADVENTURE!!

Wow, YES!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread