Whites DFX Battery question

Dinker

Apr 19, 2007
Dublin, Ga
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
White's DFX Battery question

I took out my White's DFX when the weather cealred and placed the battery on charge. I placed it in my unit and it wouldn't work. I got nervous so I tried the disposable battery backup and it worked fine. My question is two fold, what is the life expectancy of the rechargeable battery and is there a warranty?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: White's DFX Battery question

More than likely you inserted it wrong. These hardly go bad just by sitting inactive an if you charged it up properly it should have powered up.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have had my original re-chargable battery for my dfx since Aug of 2007. I does not hold the charge as long as it use to but I can still go a couple of days (6-8 hrs) before it needs recharge. I am told (and you probably know this already) that it should not be charged for more than 4 hrs. on "fast" charge and that it can be charged overnite or longer on the "overnite" charge.

Good luck and HH

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought the re-chargeable battery pak from Kellyco, and although it works fine, it has never showed more than 11v and after only 4-5 hrs use, will show 10v... I know it is supposed to work quite a while at the 10v, but will not work when it drops under 10v... I wonder why it never has showed up charged to 12v, even when new?
Old I wonder?
Hate to slam on companies, but I havent had a positive experience with Kellyco on either of the orders I have made.. First impressions you know..

When this one dies, I will buy the next direct from whites..

Oh, and does anyone else notice a very strong, metallic, battery smell when they remove it from their machine? Mine does every time I take it out to charge it..

silvestor

Mar 2, 2008
Chautauqua County, New York
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT w/Sun Ray Invader XL-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Dinker I had the same problem last year when I tried my XLT for the first time of the season. The XLT uses the same Ni-cad battery. Charged the battery overnight slid it in the machine and nuthin. 8 cell back up worked fine. Of course I couldn't just leave it :-\ so I slid the top off the rechargeable (similar to the alkaline pack, but you have to lift up a little at first) and Wallah!! ??? ??? FULL of corrosion !! :'(

Now I KNOW I had never gotten it wet in the past so how could it get that way? My only guess was that I had left the battery IN the unit ( about 3-4 months ) while it was stored through the winter. I KNOW NOT RECOMMENDED !!! and that is probably the reason.

Not saying that is your problem but it was definitely mine. I learn from my mistakes... Just wish I didn't learn SO much !! :dontknow:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer said:
I bought the re-chargeable battery pak from Kellyco, and although it works fine, it has never showed more than 11v and after only 4-5 hrs use, will show 10v... I know it is supposed to work quite a while at the 10v, but will not work when it drops under 10v... I wonder why it never has showed up charged to 12v, even when new?
Old I wonder?
Hate to slam on companies, but I havent had a positive experience with Kellyco on either of the orders I have made.. First impressions you know..

When this one dies, I will buy the next direct from whites..

Oh, and does anyone else notice a very strong, metallic, battery smell when they remove it from their machine? Mine does every time I take it out to charge it..

Mine on my xlt very rarly shows 12 volts. Usually around 11.4 but it will go a long time. Longer then my minelab on full charge. And mine does smell when you take it out. I kinda like that smell though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread