Whites MXT -- How old is too old

dlemair

Mar 5, 2009
I have the opportunity to buy my dream detector, a used MXT with 4 search coils & accessories. The unit is 4 years old and looks by the photos to be in very good condition. The price is right as far as I'm concerned at 750, but my question is; How old is to old with a used detector? I realize you buy a machine new and use it for 2 or 3 years, there is nothing wrong with it, but you want something new or better. Does the reliability of the electronics deteriorate after time, or does some of the other functions reduce?

I called KellyCo on friday, and a new bare bones MXT is priced at 720. So, if I buy used-machine, 4coils, accessories & no warranty. I buy new-machine and warranty.

Thanks for any input.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
4yrs old is nothing for modern electronics. I should say for MDers, they're not disposable like most electronics!!!! I would have no problem with it, the machine should last many years and it will. Enjoy

Greg

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
at 4 years old the electronics are fine. there really hasn't been a whole lot of bug advancements in a while.
I'd go ahead and buy it, even without a warranty, it still a good buy

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I have two machines that I use all the time and both are over ten years old and not a bit of trouble from either of them. Ones the White's XLT the other is the Minelab Explorer SX. Love 'em both. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

dlemair

Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for all the positive responses, I was pretty sure that it would have plenty of life left in it. Thanks again.

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
B U Y I T N O W ......4 COILS - SUPER UNIT- 4 YR OLD- STILL A BABY..

Attachments

• CAXIN1LI.jpg
    CAXIN1LI.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,021

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy it at that price, and even if you have to send it in for repairs the First Week you own it, you'll still have paid less for it and the accessories than you would've paid new.

My vote is to go for it. :)

-Buckles

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
My MXT is coming up on year 7. I have dragged it through the woods, banged it off trees, roots, rocks etc. It still works as good as the day I bought it and it's never had any down time for repairs. With coils and accessories, you are getting a good deal. :thumbsup:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
They are not like a Chinese built VCR that gives out 1 day after the warranty is over. I used one Whites Coinmaster 3900 for 14 years with no problems. That was back in 1984.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlhudson said:
B U Y I T N O W ......4 COILS - SUPER UNIT- 4 YR OLD- STILL A BABY..
If any thing come pare it with a new one If nolike send it off too white's there your brannew detectore when it comes back. and if thier's stems and coilcovers on the coil I'd say you got a deal. :thumbsup:

Mick93

Feb 27, 2008
MidWest
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
My MXT is close to 6 years old been used hard still works like new !
Depends if the extra coils are the ones you want and will use. Each to their own but I like thw 4x6 dd and the 6x10 dd best with the Mxt.
You can buy new E with headphones for 678.00. but the coils are 125 each.

F

Felinepeachy

Sounds like a great deal. There's no telling how much or how little it was used anyway. I mean, the guy could have owned it for four years but only put 20 hours on it :dontknow: I can guarantee that if you ever have an problem with it, Whites has OUTSTANDING customer service. I wouldn't hesitate for a second. :thumbsup:

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
One of the best machines on the market....a real gold magnet. In addition, Whites Electronics in Sweethome, OR has one of the best customer service reputations of any of the MDs.....

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
arizonaames said:
One of the best machines on the market....a real gold magnet. In addition, Whites Electronics in Sweethome, OR has one of the best customer service reputations of any of the MDs.....
Ditto :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you are getting for the price is a MXT with extra coils and accessories. I think the price is a might high, but if the condition is as nice as you say it is still a nice buy if you need the extra coils. Even if by chance it has a problem Whites can make it right for a little extra $$.

Davemill

Greenie
Aug 22, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX with Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a heavily used, 7 year old DFX in Feb. Everything seems to work perfectly

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
I've had my MXT over five years and works like new! I have Eagle II SL that's almost 20 years old and I prefer it over my MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread