Whites MXT Pro - Strong silver signal for copper

GeauxLSU

Apr 2, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new MXT Pro came in Thursday afternoon and I spent Saturday playing with my new toy. To my surprise, I had a very strong, solid silver signal within the first hour. I dug and dug and about 8 inches down was a piece of a copper pipe. Then the next day, I had the same exact thing on another piece of property at about the same depth (maybe about 6 or 7 inches deep this time instead of 8). Is this normal or was I using it incorrectly? I can't stand getting excited over finding silver coins then being disappointed when I find copper pipe.

My new MXT Pro came in Thursday afternoon and I spent Saturday playing with my new toy. To my surprise, I had a very strong, solid silver signal within the first hour. I dug and dug and about 8 inches down was a piece of a copper pipe. Then the next day, I had the same exact thing on another piece of property at about the same depth (maybe about 6 or 7 inches deep this time instead of 8). Is this normal or was I using it incorrectly? I can't stand getting excited over finding silver coins then being disappointed when I find copper pipe.

Unfortunately thats part of the game. All detectors are gonna find metal no matter what it is. the conductivity of silver and copper are close. U should size ur target in pinpoint to determine if its a coin or not and learn how the tone comes in on a coin after awhile coins will sound different than pipes lol

Larger target will come in at higher readings because the MD only shows conductivity and the size did that. Never trust a meter.

Yep you'll hate those matchbox cars they give good quarter signals, large cents come up like silver quarters to half dollars on the MXT as well. It's not just the MXT or white's detectors they all are like this. HH

As said in earlier thread from postaltwo try an size the object by pinpointing an look for consistency in the vdi reading ex. Steady 85 84 you can usually determine the size of your object by pinpointing scan it north south east an west you should be able to size it up by doing this an determine if its a coin or piece of pipe I to still dig small copper fittings, copper buttons etc. hoping for a coin don't get discouraged theres treasures in the form of coins to be found unfortunately theres more trash then treasure I dug a 5 gallon bucket of trash before finding this but when I found it the joy of success was overwhelming I also suggest scanning a silver quarter with your detector to see what the vdi reading is

Attachments

• image-3529122729.jpg
    image-3529122729.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 179
I alway dig up the copper pipes as well. But I save em up and cash them in at the scrap yard. You can easily dig a hundred dollars worth in a year. That's something to get excited about.

It will take a while to get used to the MXT and good headphones are a must for those deep whisper targets. You'll notice the silver coins come up higher than the clad like silver quarters come in on mine at 88-90 VDI where the clad ones are 85-86 VDI and dimes silver it depends sometimes when the ground is real wet in the spring they are 82-83 VDI but can be 80 VDI and seem to be 80 VDI in drier summer. Now when you get the extra deep targets all bets are off on the VDI I've dug whisper signals that came in at 40's VDI and are silver dimes but with good headphones that silver just sings good to you and those whisper targets alot of times is the old good stuff. Sometimes the deeper silver dimes say at 7" or more will come as low as 77 VDI and the real deep wheats that have that green ring around the dirt seem to come up at 80 VDI and I'm always digging them thinking it to maybe be a silver dime. The D2 coil is awesome on the MXT its great on the real deep targets with that coil and when you get the hang of those whisper targets there easy to miss but you'll soon get a little excited when you hear that in your headphones but you dig plenty that aren't that deep as well in the right spots. Some places the good stuff is deeper than others and if your in a park thats been pounded for years by others alot of times only the deeper harder to get suff is left. Location and some research is key but even some old houses some nice old coins, there just won't be alot of silver at just an old home most likely. HH

Last edited:
big copper conducts like silver that why I love a minelab user when they say my detector told me it was silver and it was a brass lock or a copper pipe or sum-then made of copper a big enough chuck of float copper reads silver all day long 50 cents to a buck that's how you tell the size of the copper in the ground....

liftloop

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back