New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyone who has this PI please share what you can about, what you like and dislike. I had a Headhunter PI for awhile so I know basically they are all metal. I did not like the short battery life on it and really didnt keep it long enough to learn it well. It got real deep I know that.
So what about the Whites PI, hows the battery life and depth on rings? Any way to tell different objects or at least size them? Is it a concentric or DD coil that comes with it? I only wade so the diving model I would not need(I see there are two models). How about the wading coil, thats not buoyant is it?
Thanks much,
Neil

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The diver coil is the one you want. I have 2 one with the regular coil and one with the diver, the diver doesnt want to float up, the other you will fight to keep it down. Batteries last a long time, but I have not ever had them run out, I change them after a few days of diving or beach hunting. It is not a DD coil, round coil. The PI Pro is better on rings. The adjustment knob should be as high as you can stand. It has an auto ground balance. Bigger rings of course will sound louder, as will ones that are closer to the surface. A big ring might go 12" or more deep, a thin gold or broken thin gold ring-the hardest to find, not as far maybe 6"-8". I usually find rings in the first or second scoop, but maybe that is where they are. PIs will go deeper in saltwater or water period, or soil or wet sand than air. A silver dollar will go very deep, maybe 2'. A beer can even more. I dug a huge hole one time and it was pair of sunglasses, I must have dug 2' deep. In the water too. I usually dont dig if its deeper than 10" or so, as still makes a huge sound.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
I use rechargeable's in my 2500 nimh an can hunt for over 12 hours straight an still have pleany of juice left,but I always go will a full charge.I have notice it will sound off louder on a nickel then say a quarter at the same depth.With some prastice I can determine the size by the tone,about 90% of the time.an yes I have lots of gold an silver rings with this machine ,deepest was a huge 14k mans rings that took about 6 digs to get it up.

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Anyone care to make a comment about the PIs depth compared to an Excalibur?

Thanks for all the info so far.

Neil

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Steve posted this on metaldetectorreviews.com (reference to Minelab Excalibur):

Steve in Florida - three stars
Me and a few friends of mine all love to beach hunt. So one day we where all talking about how deep our detectors go and so we decided to see which of them was the king of deep.
We packed up our detectors and headed to Daytona beach. It was a nice sunny day and perfect for a day of fun and sun.
We decided to make it fair we would take a small ring tie a string to it and bury it, then each of us try to detect it. We got close enough to the waves that each time the waves came in it would fill our hole in and we could go alittle deeper each try.
Here is our results:
Minelab 1000 7" inches max
Fisher CZ 20 9"
White's PI pro 12"
Garrett Infinium 15"

Keep in mind this is a very small 14k baby ring. It won't even fit on my pinky finger.

Dec 24, 2006

PI pro - 12" Sounds like a winner. ;D

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil,

I've been hunting with a PI Pro for about a year and a half. It finds everything. I even did a test to see if my Fisher F75 would find stuff in the soft sand after I was done combing with the PI, and it only found a piece of foil. I commonly dig pennies at 12" at the beach. The gold I find doesn't seem to be that deep, except for some of the earrings. If you don't get turned off by sometimes digging a bunch of rusty nails, this unit rules.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,154878.0.html

Jack

soplanter

Feb 19, 2009
Re: TreasureMaster PI 1000

???
Curious about a Treasuremaster PI 1000 I saw today. When was this made? I have never seen one. Was this an expensive machine and was it any good? Maybe someone will know something about it. It sold on E-bay pretty high. I couldn't find any thing written about it. thanks

Soplanter 1

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
JackInFlorida said:
Neil,

I've been hunting with a PI Pro for about a year and a half. It finds everything. I even did a test to see if my Fisher F75 would find stuff in the soft sand after I was done combing with the PI, and it only found a piece of foil. I commonly dig pennies at 12" at the beach. The gold I find doesn't seem to be that deep, except for some of the earrings. If you don't get turned off by sometimes digging a bunch of rusty nails, this unit rules.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,154878.0.html

Jack

Thanks to Jack, Steve and Mirage for your comments. Im going to go ahead and get one this week and I see whites has a dual field pi also, I guess this is the same detector but with a different coil?
Im gonna get a new one ;D

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, JasonB had asked for my thoughts on the PI Pro, thought I would share with everyone . . .

Hey Jason,

I think it is the best machine in its price range. I've had mine for 2 years or more. There are several things I would tell you:

1. Don't bring it to a park. Use it where you are pretty sure you want to dig everything, such as a farm, beach, lake etc. (Parks without picnic tables are probably doable)
2. Don't try to learn what sounds certain things make, it doesn't work, everything sounds like everything else. (almost)
3. Coins will usually be a solid hit, while rusty metal will sometimes be a little softer, you will understand what I mean when you use it.
4. Quick double beeps are usually bobby pins or fish hooks, however, once I got a really SOLID double beep and it was a penny and a gold ring.
5. The factory settings marked on the dials are OK, you will get about 8 or 9 inches on a penny in beach sand.
6. Turn the unit on with the coil in the air, away from metal.
7. After turning on, crank the gain up to about the "M" in Max. I have found this will get pennies at 12 inches on fresh batteries. It seems to make pinpointing less accurate, so you may need to back off the gain a little to pinpoint.
8. If you hear a spitting noise, that is lightning, and it doesn't have to be close
9. If you hear wavey signals all the time, it is likely a cell phone within 30 feet.
10. If the sound is vibrating on a target, change the batteries.
11. Don't EVER change the batteries on the beach, go back to your car.
12. If you are in waist high water, the bottom segment of the rod fills with water and it does not have a drain, so when you put it in your car, it leaks all over. Make sure and tilt it back and let it drain from the holes in the second stage.
13. Buy a dive belt, they are only about $10 and you can belt mount the case, gives me an extra hour or two without getting so tired.
14. The first target you dig on a day, throw it on the ground and pinpoint it from about 8 or 10 inches in the air. It seems that some days my PI pinpoints right in the middle, others, it pinpoints about two inches to the back. This may have something to do with the ramped up gain setting too.

That's all I can think of. Just remember, I have posts on here talking about days I was digging nail after nail then found something good. Just because you just dug a pop top, doesn't mean the signal right next to it won't be something from a different decade or century. I find that two signals next to each other rarely seem related.

Jack

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
JackInFlorida said:
Hey, JasonB had asked for my thoughts on the PI Pro, thought I would share with everyone . . .

Hey Jason,

I think it is the best machine in its price range. I've had mine for 2 years or more. There are several things I would tell you:

1. Don't bring it to a park. Use it where you are pretty sure you want to dig everything, such as a farm, beach, lake etc. (Parks without picnic tables are probably doable)
2. Don't try to learn what sounds certain things make, it doesn't work, everything sounds like everything else. (almost)
3. Coins will usually be a solid hit, while rusty metal will sometimes be a little softer, you will understand what I mean when you use it.
4. Quick double beeps are usually bobby pins or fish hooks, however, once I got a really SOLID double beep and it was a penny and a gold ring.
5. The factory settings marked on the dials are OK, you will get about 8 or 9 inches on a penny in beach sand.
6. Turn the unit on with the coil in the air, away from metal.
7. After turning on, crank the gain up to about the "M" in Max. I have found this will get pennies at 12 inches on fresh batteries. It seems to make pinpointing less accurate, so you may need to back off the gain a little to pinpoint.
8. If you hear a spitting noise, that is lightning, and it doesn't have to be close
9. If you hear wavey signals all the time, it is likely a cell phone within 30 feet.
10. If the sound is vibrating on a target, change the batteries.
11. Don't EVER change the batteries on the beach, go back to your car.
12. If you are in waist high water, the bottom segment of the rod fills with water and it does not have a drain, so when you put it in your car, it leaks all over. Make sure and tilt it back and let it drain from the holes in the second stage.
13. Buy a dive belt, they are only about $10 and you can belt mount the case, gives me an extra hour or two without getting so tired.
14. The first target you dig on a day, throw it on the ground and pinpoint it from about 8 or 10 inches in the air. It seems that some days my PI pinpoints right in the middle, others, it pinpoints about two inches to the back. This may have something to do with the ramped up gain setting too.

That's all I can think of. Just remember, I have posts on here talking about days I was digging nail after nail then found something good. Just because you just dug a pop top, doesn't mean the signal right next to it won't be something from a different decade or century. I find that two signals next to each other rarely seem related.

Jack

Jack thanks alot for all this info. I ordered a Whites dual field pi yesterday, I think its the replacement for the surf pi. I tried a pulse detector in the past but it was just beep and dig and I didnt pay much attention to it, the way I pay attention to detectors now I mean.
I was going to post and see if someone could give me some pointers on how to use it. I was recommended to get one because of the
depth they get. Im mainly a beach hunter, both fresh and salt so I am hoping for deep recoveries. We get sanded in here alot in NJ, I was digging pulltabs at 10" today at the beach so you can imagine how much deeper the coins and gold are.

Does the detector get the 25hrs that whites says on a set of batteries and also wondering if youve used any rechargeables in it and if so is it worth it?

I will order one of those divebelts also, great idea there.

HH
Neil

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NeilinFR said:
Does the detector get the 25hrs that whites says on a set of batteries and also wondering if youve used any rechargeables in it and if so is it worth it?

Hey,

I never keep track of the hours, I only have to replace them every month or so. I would guess that to be upwards of 15 hours. When I take them out, they still test full. I throw them in the bin for the kids to use. I believe that once they get down to about 80%, I can tell the depth has changed. I don't use rechargeables since they seem to shrink to 80% right off the bat when I use them in other things. My camera and my voice recorder always shows the rechargeables minus one bar right after I put them in.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread