Who am I... Fedora hat/ famous explorer, etc.??

mdmike

Nov 4, 2004

Attachments

• SANY4298.JPG
    SANY4298.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 78
  • SANY4297.JPG
    SANY4297.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 90
  • SANY4296.JPG
    SANY4296.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 64

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a shot in the dark, so please don’t hold me to it, but could it be King Charles I of England or one of his followers?

I found this on Wikipedia:

A cavalier hat is a variety of wide-brimmed hat popular in the seventeenth century. These hats were often made from felt, and usually trimmed with an ostrich plume. They were often cocked up or had one side of the brim pinned to the side of the crown of the hat. Cavalier hats get their name from supporters of King Charles I during the English Civil War, known as cavaliers, noted for wearing extravagant clothing.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1581466306.510948.jpg

My personal feeling is somebody from the wild west, but that big feather plume on the hat is throwing me off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Buffalo Bill wear a hat like that? It was my first thought when I saw it.

My first thought, too! But I've been to the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, WY and I don't recall seeing him with a hat with a large plume.

Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill Cody was usually pictured in a hat, most without plumes but I found one depiction that did.

Attachments

• young_guns_c1870_1000.jpg
    young_guns_c1870_1000.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 95
  • buffalo-bill-cody-9252268-2-raw.jpg
    buffalo-bill-cody-9252268-2-raw.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fedora? Cavalier maybe.

I think he may be more Muskateer than Mountain Man.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Googling “Don Juan Figurine”.

Although a fictional literary character, he was a very popular subject for ‘bronze’ figurines made as standalone decorative items, clock ornaments and a variety of other housewares, especially during the late 1800s to early 1900s. Sometimes the pieces were marked as being Don Juan (and are an artist’s interpretation of the fictional womaniser) and sometimes not, such that they are just generically regarded as ‘cavalier’ figures. They’re almost invariably wearing broad-brimmed cavalier hats with feathered plumes.

As figurines, they sometimes came in pairs, with the other figure being an interpretation of Don Cesar (also fictional) and similarly dressed.

This one is French, cast in 'bronzed' spelter (a cheap white metal zinc alloy) and made as a table lamp.

Cavalier Lamp.jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great information by Red-Coat. :occasion14:

Most definitely cast of spelter metal, you can see the mold seam running down the side of the hat.
Interesting that it has a casting hole in the top of the hat, possibly a breathing hole for the metal, as it looks to be a solid casting

To me, he has a very Shakespearean look to him... more likely to be a 17thc literary figure then 16th though? :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• robin-hood-brit-hero-late-12th-century-full-length-woodcut-circa-1500-BA7T3A-crop.jpg
    robin-hood-brit-hero-late-12th-century-full-length-woodcut-circa-1500-BA7T3A-crop.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 78
  • fig057.png
    fig057.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking maybe Gen. Jeb Stuart, Gen. Lee's Chief of Cavalry, C.S.A. Gen. Stuart was known for his fine uniform presence and wore a hat adorned with an ostrich feather. He was known as "the Last of the Cavaliers". An extraordinary Cavalryman.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking maybe Gen. Jeb Stuart, Gen. Lee's Chief of Cavalry, C.S.A. Gen. Stuart was known for his fine uniform presence and wore a hat adorned with an ostrich feather. He was known as "the Last of the Cavaliers". An extraordinary Cavalryman.

And like Stuart at Gettysburg, you are late to the party. :laughing7: Pretty sure this one has been ID'd properly by Red-Coat as Don Juan.

Do a Google image search on '"Don Juan" spelter figurine' and you will see dozens of them.

Upvote 0

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
970BA798-2ABB-4F1C-88E9-EAC2A8EF7B31.jpeg
Sir Walter Raleigh? Possibly a figurine because I couldn’t imagine a kids toy modeled after him.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And like Stuart at Gettysburg, you are late to the party. :laughing7: Pretty sure this one has been ID'd properly by Red-Coat as Don Juan.

Do a Google image search on '"Don Juan" spelter figurine' and you will see dozens of them.
Pretty sure? He's Hee. Be careful...Gen. Custer thought he had things under control at the Little Big Horn. Custer's last words were reportedly "Doh!" LOl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread