What's new

Who is this Presidential Candidate ?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Pewter medallion, reverse reads 'The Peoples Choice For President'
Bust doesn't look familiar, searched slogan websites, got no leads.
Anyone recognize this man ?
Thanks All, & HH !!
 

Attachments

  • NC FINDS 9-30 004.webp
    NC FINDS 9-30 004.webp
    82.8 KB · Views: 345
  • NC FINDS 9-30 005.webp
    NC FINDS 9-30 005.webp
    95 KB · Views: 347
Didn't think it looked like Lincoln but sounds like it. Very interesting find.

Obverse — Bust facing to the left: ''Abraham Lincoln, 1864,"
and eight stars. Reverse — "The people's choice for President,"
on shield surrounded by six U. S. flags, and surmounted by the
cap of Liberty.
 
Upvote 0
The bust looks like General McClellan. I know absolutely nothing about these things. I am sure that IP is right. I'm just saying who the portrait looks like.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
turtlefoot13 said:
The bust looks like General McClellan. I know absolutely nothing about these things. I am sure that IP is right. I'm just saying who the portrait looks like.

Doug


Actually.... I don't think I'm right. It's just a lead that I'm thinking out load with by posting. I've now looked at quite a few Lincoln medals and some don't really look like him, but not that drastic. I would definitely search who you think it looks like.
 
Upvote 0
1864 George B. McClellan "People's Choice" Medal in Copper. Listed as Sullivan-Dewitt GMcC 1864-14; measuring 32mm. The dies were cut by George H. Lovett of New York. This is a companion piece to AL 1864-7 with the same reverse. The obverse inscription at the top reads: Maj. Gen - Geo.B.Mc.Clellan; the center features a bust of McClellan to the left enclosed by a laurel and oak wreath. The reverse bears a shield inscribed: "The - Peoples - Choice - For - President - 1864"; flanked on either side by four flags and surmounted by a Liberty cap and rays. In choice condition; gorgeous original red color; holed as made; small blemish at 6 o'clock on obverse.
 
Upvote 0
Huge thanks to Kurtma12, Turtlefoot13, & Patch for the ID,
I also thought Lincoln, though as noted, though it didn't resemble him.
Great work as usual Guys, Green check on another mystery!
 
Upvote 0
WoW,
Just researched a little,
He ran against Lincoln in 1864, lost at 45% to Lincolns 55%
Would imagine they had opposing views. What if ???
Thanks again for turning what appeared to be a rather ordinary find into an important bit of history, I feel now that this is one of my best finds. (I have many favorites, it's REALLY hard to say which is #1)
Good Day & Great Digs to You All !!! Herbie.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • token mclelland.webp
    token mclelland.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom