Who Owned Those Spanish Mines?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...chrome&ie=UTF-8&q="mining+in+colonial+mexico"

For those of you who care to know the truth about New World ‘Spanish mining’, particularly in Colonial Mexico and environs before the end of the Mexican War, I suggest you review some of the links provided above. For the period mid-1500’s to mid-1800’s, you will discover where the mining and exploration occurred, who was doing the mining, what extractive methods were used, the expenses and financing that were required to extract the metals (primarily silver), what skills and experience were required by the primary and highly paid miners, the availability of unskilled labor, and the Crown’s true involvement and its demands from the mining industry. Concerning the King’s demands, I’ll provide the following to consider:

.... More systematic was the state's contribution to the long-lasting expansion of silver production by establishing a sound legal and institutional framework that had little in common with the one assumed by various popular generalizations about colonial Hispanic America. By a series of measures enacted in the 1720s, the state mining policy in New Spain promoted growth indirectly. Especially important were the low and decreasing fiscal pressures—including total exemptions in some cases—on silver and mining inputs, the maintenance of law and order, the institution of a specific body (the Cuerpo de Minería and its Tribunal General) to defend and promote mining interests and prestige in 1776, the partial liberalization of foreign trade in 1778, and the promulgation of the relatively liberal—by international standards—mining code of 1783. There was no predatory colonial state confiscating the results obtained by individuals from their productive efforts in New Spain's mining industry. This was openly acknowledged by Ward (1828):

"The King (individually) was not proprietor of a single mine, nor is there one instance, since the Conquest, of an attempt having been made by the Government to interfere with the mode of working adopted by individuals, or to diminish the profits of the successful adventurer, under any plea, or pretence, from the more fortunate, a higher rate of duties than that which was payable by the poorest miner to the Royal Treasury. By this judicious liberality and good faith, the fullest scope was given for private exertion; and this, in a country where mineral treasures are so abundant, was soon found to be all that was requisite in order to ensure their production to a great extent."

Humboldt (1822) agrees with this judgment:
"All the metallic wealth is in the hands of individuals. The government possesses no other mine … The individuals receive from the king a grant of a certain number of measures on the direction of a vein or a bed; and they are only held to pay very moderate duties on the ores extracted from the mines." ....
Mining-Led Growth in Bourbon Mexico,the Role of the State, and the Economic Cost of Independence, By Rafael Dobado and Gustavo A. Marrero
No. 06/07-1 of The David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies, Working Papers on Latin America

Prior to the 18th century, you will find very, very little evidence of mining having taken place north of the Durango/Zacatecas/San Luis Potosi regions in Mexico. Yes, there was limited exploration and settlement above the Northern Frontier – in today’s New Mexico, Arizona and California - nearly all of which was well-documented by the state-sponsored parties, several private journals and letters, in the archaeological evidence and in the oral traditions of the natives encountered. In my opinion, there may well have been additional undocumented and well-funded expeditions of ‘free agent’ adventurers/prospectors that slipped under the radar, including possibly some of the religios. There is no doubt that there were also a significant number of small ‘wildcat’ Mexican forays to certain areas of the current American Southwest later in the 18th and 19th centuries. If 'Spanish' mining was widespread in today's USA, one would think the easy placer gold fields in California would have been an easy target. These placers remained untouched until the 1850's and later. Interesting, no?

Be that as it may, the point is this: the large number of ‘Spanish caches’ marked by the ‘King’s Code’ that you think you are following simply do not exist. There was no King’s Code, ala Kenworthy, in use in the American Southwest. The ‘King’s Code’ explanation of the relatively few genuine signs that are being discovered is a fantasy used to boost egos at the expense of the unwary. Have you seen Kenworthy’s proof? I thought not. Have those who claim to have the proof provided anything but talk?

If you are interested in who created the signs you’re finding and what they mean, then you need to move on. Yes, there are genuine signs to be found. If you want the truth, you’re going to have to work. You can get ideas on forums such as this one, but not the answers you seek. These are secrets, after all. If you want a fantasy game, then continue on with the balderdash being fed you free of charge by the ‘experts’.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thank you for the links Springfield. I spent a few hours last night reading them and I still have a lot to read.

I'm glad you started this thread because I was just starting to look for information about mining during the colonial period. I live in the midwest and there is only open pit mining done where I live and very little of that. I know nothing about mining.

I never realized how much lumber was required to seperate the metals from the rock. So, if a mine was found in an area where there were few trees, the ore would have to be shipped to some other place to refine it. Would it be safe to assume that some mines were found and then closed up again for lack of fuel?

I've been doing a little study about the royal road from Mexico City to Santa Fe. I would think that if there were going to be trail markers and monuments they would be along this trail. Do you know of anybody who has studied this trail for markers that might direct travellers to campsites or waterholes?

Something else I noticed was the trade along this trail going back to Mexico didn't include precious metals. Seems to have been products that could have been used by the miners in Mexico. Do you know if the miners in Mexico were sending silver north to Santa Fe to buy the goods they needed at the mines. I realize there were other things the settlers in New Mexico needed that were probably more important.

The link I read about the merchants who owned the mines smuggling precious metals to avoid the taxes was interesting to me. Could some of them have been responsible for the signs and markers in the field. There were a lot of wars going on in Europe at the time, perhaps they left things where they found them until political issues were resolved. I'm not trying to start any conspiracy theories just looking for areas to direct my research.

As an example, there was an important French family in St. Louis who were some of the earliest settlers there. Some of them became pretty wealthy. During the American Civil War, the federal government trusted this family to transport gold from the mines in the west to the east, but the Union soldiers hated them. The family had owned slaves before the war and, although they were against secession, the Union soldiers thought they were southern sympathizers and didn't trust them. Now this family was between a rock and a hard place. Where were they going to put their money? The Union Army was occupying Missouri and didn't trust them. The Confederate guerillas in Missouri didn't trust them. It would have been smart for this family and families like them to put their money in the ground and see how things settled out after the war. Did they? I don't know, but I would have.

I know some of my questions are probably pretty elementary but I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks again for the links, Springfield.

Rick

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I just finished reading chapter 4, Supplies and Distribution from the book, Silver Mining and Society in Colonial Mexico: Zacateces, 1546-1700 and is one of the links Springfield gave us. The title might sound a little dry but if you're interested in how the silver moved away from the mining areas, you might want to check it out.

Rick

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Good questions and observations, mdog. The road from Mexico City to Santa Fe was well-worn very early in the Spanish period. The natives helped guide the first Europeans to Paso del Norte (today's El Paso/Juarez), then the final 300 miles to Santa Fe followed today's Rio Grande, except for a stretch that skirted the east side of today's Caballo Mountains. There wasn't much need for trail signs on this route, although I imagine there were a few markers in the earlier days when the river detours were first established.

There wasn't a lot of trade between Santa Fe and Mexico in the first couple hundred years, and therefore not a lot of gold/silver on the trail, but there was some. There were a couple small gold mines near Santa Fe which sent bullion south, and some coinage was also needed to run the frontier capital. There are traditions of stolen loot being hidden in the Caballo and Organ Mountains in southern NM and also in the Franklins above El Paso. The Pedro Nevarez legend is the most well-known. Later, in the 1820’s, the Santa Fe Trail came into use and for many years there was a large Santa Fe-to-Chihuahua traffic which included plenty of coin and plenty of murder and robbery against the unprepared.

I'm sure that mine operators did all they could to avoid the taxes on their outputs and some bullion was undoubtedly high-graded away from the government. Where the loot was hidden and how it was marked has unlimited possibilities, but as pointed out in my earlier post, the discovery, management and proceeds from the mines were the owners’ business, not the Crown’s. Interestingly, concerning the quinto real, the King had a pretty effective method of collecting his share of the mines' outputs. Since the mid-1500’s, most precious metals were extracted from the ore using mercury. Spain enjoyed a near monopoly on the world’s supply of mercury and the miners were compelled to buy what they needed from the government. Knowing how much mercury was needed for the processing, the Crown knew ahead of time how much precious metal was to be recovered and what his share was going to be. The King was undoubtedly cheated at times, but he got most of what was coming to him.

You are also correct that operating a mine required a lot of resources, manpower and money. There were a number of ‘easy’ placer and surface oxide deposits that paid off, sure, and these operations would have a better chance of operating ‘under the radar’. Whether these miners hid their loot on site or took it home with them is a speculative choice. If there were caches, then how they were marked would be the miners’ choice, IMO – certainly not the King’s. Also, if there were caches necessary, we might guess that most of them were certainly recovered later.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Interestingly, concerning the quinto real, the King had a pretty effective method of collecting his share of the mines' outputs. Since the mid-1500’s, most precious metals were extracted from the ore using mercury. Spain enjoyed a near monopoly on the world’s supply of mercury and the miners were compelled to buy what they needed from the government. Knowing how much mercury was needed for the processing, the Crown knew ahead of time how much precious metal was to be recovered and what his share was going to be. The King was undoubtedly cheated at times, but he got most of what was coming to him.

Thanks Springfield. I find it really interesting how the king got his share by keeping track of the mercury.

I have another question if you don't mind. There was a man named Jose Galvez, I'm sure you've read of him, he was searching for gold mines that were supposed to have been mined and hidden by the Jesuits. I think he searched somewhere in California. From what I understand, Galvez and his command wandered around in a desolate area for a period of time and had no luck finding the gold. Eventually, one of his officers accused him of being crazy and was thrown into prison. Probably the first recorded case of a disagreement about Jesuit treasure signs. LOL. Anyway, If Spain controlled the mercury than the only way the Jesuits could illegally recover gold would be by using the long process where a large amount of timber was used. Right? Or else just leave the gold ore as they found it. So if Galvez was searching in an area with plentiful timber, he would probably be looking for a place with signs of heavy lumber harvesting. And if he was in a barren area he would probably be looking for other signs of mining and maybe even carved symbols. Right? I'm not trying to start an argument about Jesuit mines but that's what Galvez was looking for and I'm interested in how he pursued his search because I haven't been able to find much about it.

Thanks Springfield.

Rick

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Interestingly, concerning the quinto real, the King had a pretty effective method of collecting his share of the mines' outputs. Since the mid-1500’s, most precious metals were extracted from the ore using mercury. Spain enjoyed a near monopoly on the world’s supply of mercury and the miners were compelled to buy what they needed from the government. Knowing how much mercury was needed for the processing, the Crown knew ahead of time how much precious metal was to be recovered and what his share was going to be. The King was undoubtedly cheated at times, but he got most of what was coming to him."

My 92 yr old dad as a young man turned down a job when he saw the miners coming out of the mine. These miners where mining Azogue/Mercury.
This was near Predidio TX.
He saw them coming out of the mine, grayish, wet, wrinkly skin, and having heard this guys did not live very long.

When we were talking to may dad, I remember my brother calling the Azogue/Mercury Quicksilver. :dontknow:

The king did not own his quinto of the gold?, he instead put his efforts in aquiring mercury?

Where the gold was, mercury got there, one way or another.

This is just my opinion. :coffee2:

Pala Y pico

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good stuff springfield,thanks for posting.very interesting.i was wondering how in the world could the spainish treat people so bad,but yet have them stick around and be productive workers.even if you tied them up at night,the man power and effort would be so great,and the productivty so low.it would be so much better just to give decent wage and treatment.if not your just asking for a uprising.

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Pala Y Pico said:
....The king did not own his quinto of the gold?, he instead put his efforts in aquiring mercury?

Where the gold was, mercury got there, one way or another.....

That's the point, P&P - the King owned and controlled all the mercury. If a miner needed 100 lb mercury to extract 25 lb of precious metal, he had to buy the mercury from the government. When he did, the government was then expecting to get 25/5 = 5 lb of the precious metal from the miner.

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
dog said:
good stuff springfield,thanks for posting.very interesting.i was wondering how in the world could the spainish treat people so bad,but yet have them stick around and be productive workers.even if you tied them up at night,the man power and effort would be so great,and the productivty so low.it would be so much better just to give decent wage and treatment.if not your just asking for a uprising.

The mines could not operate without skilled labor, and those miners were well paid and treated. Many were imported from other countries. The 'work them to death' stories are greatly exaggerated. Running a mine was an expensive business and killing off hard-to-get workers didn't pay. Sure, cruel treatment undoubtedly happened occasionally, but not like the treasure magazines would have you believe.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
Pala Y Pico said:
....The king did not own his quinto of the gold?, he instead put his efforts in aquiring mercury?

Where the gold was, mercury got there, one way or another.....

That's the point, P&P - the King owned and controlled all the mercury. If a miner needed 100 lb mercury to extract 25 lb of precious metal, he had to buy the mercury from the government. When he did, the government was then expecting to get 25/5 = 5 lb of the precious metal from the miner.

My point is that if mercury is mined here when my dad is still alive, then my reasoning is that it was here when the spanish were mining gold or silver. The metals were here already. If they could find the gold they could find the mercury, water, food, and Ullsup`s to get a deep fried burrito.

Pala y pico.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PyP:
If you come across a cache of refined mercury hidden away in some abandoned mine location, it would put a LOT of coins into your pocket.

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Pala Y Pico said:
.... My point is that if mercury is mined here when my dad is still alive, then my reasoning is that it was here when the spanish were mining gold or silver. The metals were here already. If they could find the gold they could find the mercury, water, food, and Ullsup`s to get a deep fried burrito.

Pala y pico.

That makes sense P&P, except for the fact that all the mercury used in the New World was imported from Europe until the Texas mercury mines began producing in the late 1800's.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good stuff guys,thanks for posting.i have been trying to understand the lifestyle of the miners.the area i have been working,i can see how much labor went into the stuff i see on the outside,all the boulders and stones that are moved.all the stones they cut and arranged.all the work to just hide tailings,and to cover back over the mines with stones so you dont know they where there.and that dosent include the actual digging of the mine or the changing from ore to ingots.so i do belive you would have to keep those workers content,it would just be to hard to manage slaves that far away from the homeland.i also see the moderen mines that they just dug straight down. throwed the quartzs and tailings right there and left it open and everything laying in the open,cans, bottels from the 20's 30's i guess,lol.,those guys didnt try to hide anything like that.so iam wondering about the older mines and miners.do you know anything about there life style springfield?did they live inside the mine?if they did, i guess they would have to rotate jobs in and out of there.dig the ore out for awhile,then rotate outside to work on the ingots?or go insane,lol. or work so many months there then get to head back to mexico city for a break?id like to hear some ideals on that.because i can surely see those guys cleaned up after they where done.just left a bunch of stone carving behind.any ideals?thanks. p.s. thanks for the tip on the mercury shortstack,ill keep my eye open.
dogtth

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcomed, Dog TThr.
Since mercury weighs so much I wouldn't think it would be cached very far from the PROCESSING area. It wouldn't be at the mine unless the ore was also processed there. I'm not sure what kind of container it would be stored in, so be careful.
Several years ago, there was a story in one of the treasure hunting mags about this cache of mercury some THers found that brought them a handsome return in the 4 figure range. There was only 2 or 3 containers the size of today's 3 liter drink bottles but, you must remember that mercury is valued by the pound, not the liquid measurements and a little bit goes a long way in valuing it.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Great link, mdog - thanks. I think I'll read it again.

I think the author did a great job of putting a lot of different things together in a way that is easily understood. It also shows that there were a lot of powerful people, besides the King of Spain, who were interested in keeping the flow of precious metals moving from the New World to Europe.

peralta

Sep 28, 2011
oahu hawaii
Detector(s) used
Whites 2-box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im almost a hundred percent sure that Jesuits and a few Spanish worked side by side in the 1600same and the 1700. The Jesuits having problems with church and king kept their mines secret.they were probably hoping they could save treasures age so they could have the resources to later build more vistas and churches.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind.In.Texas said:
Pala Y Pico said:
..................and Ullsup`s to get a deep fried burrito.....................

Pala y pico.
A burrito is all I would have cared about anyway.

Add some fried cabbage and re-fried beans and I'm in. :icon_thumleft: How'ya doin BIT?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread