Who Owned Those Spanish Mines?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies (D MOON) and gentlemen: the salt thingie was never cleared up. It was used to reduce the minerals to a chloride then processed to produce a silver or Gold bar. This was the orginal kings' method of collecting taxes and why all salt was property of the crown. It was replaced by the Mercury method.

B) Mercury was used principally in recovering the fines in a placer operation consisting of fines, or in exceptional ore. free Gold. Nuggets were caught by other physical methods.

C) I do not consider it logical to code a hidden object in a language or system that anyone outside of myself knows ?????

Fascinating so far, continue.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True Trackers,

"All the metallic wealth is in the hands of individuals. The government possesses no other mine …

the person in 1822 I think it was who make this statement would have NO way of knowing the truth
the difference between a normal mine trail and a Royal mine Trail would have not been known by this indivual, so he has no authority to make such a blanket statement at least to be believed by people who have done the research and walked the Trails for a quarter century plus..

The only credit he deserves is the the King was the Prime Contractor, and most mines where found and worked by HIS subcontractors..example the Lessor Conquistors usually got about 10% of the gross profits from the mine, The Super Conquistors only had to pay the Quint.the Noblemen about the same, the Jesuits had the richest contract of all because the Pope got an astounding 80% of the gross profits of the Mine with the King getting the short end of stick at 20%

So if he knew about the above, then he could have make that erronous statement in good faith.
oro mandate
rangler
ps dont belive the statement the Jesuits had any conflict with the Pope they all took the 4th Vow
to be loyal to the Pope rather than the King, and the proof is that they died under torture rather than
tell the King where the mines and caches were buried, this included where they hid the Code Book as well

The Spanish weren't the only ones hiding the mines.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies (D MOON) and gentlemen: the salt thingie was never cleared up. It was used to reduce the minerals to a chloride then processed to produce a silver or Gold bar. This was the orginal kings' method of collecting taxes and why all salt was property of the crown. It was replaced by the Mercury method.

B) Mercury was used principally in recovering the fines in a placer operation consisting of fines, or in exceptional ore. free Gold. Nuggets were caught by other physical methods.

C) I do not consider it logical to code a hidden object in a language or system that anyone outside of myself knows ?????

Don Jose de La Mancha
) I do not consider it logical to code a hidden object in a language or system that anyone outside of myself knows
huh.gif
??
Exactly.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
That makes sense P&P, except for the fact that all the mercury used in the New World was imported from Europe until the Texas mercury mines began producing in the late 1800's.

In so& no cal and Mexico, the gold mines where near mountains filled with antimony the local very abundant supply and alternative to mercury..so the theory of a monopoly was only in the Kings mind,.....dont forget the ore cinnabar, also
pretty prevenlant in precious metals areas...

Dogtth,
the mine owners [the Jesuit Priests & their Adjuncts*] had no concern for the Slaves, they worked Millions of them to death in the acrid, dank toxic filled mines..They were local Amerindians who lived near the mines, as quoted by George Thompson in his book Treasures on the Old Spanish Trail, will fill you in with what was really going on in the mines, and he is no Jesuit applogist likemost who write or talk about the actions of the Jesuits Priests. The first Spanish mines were Pits open and fires were built then when the ore was hot, water was poured to crack the ore body, when the mines developed in to tunnels they kept the same procedure and the mines filled with toxic smoke, poisons DEATH was painfull and sure..one sqaw had 4 different husbands die in the mines..buy this book as it is worth the insight it gives us on the true actions of the Jessies.

Oh those bottles and cans you find in the old pits are from the Depression Era miners who reworked those old workings...
just like they did in California's gold country and other places that were famous for mining.

*these were non priest brothern who had not taken the vows, ALSO there relatives and friends from Europe who where brought over under the Spanish Land Grant program, to fill the shoes of the gold and silver mine owners on the property.
The Jesuits invented the term "plausible deniablity" a term the CIA still uses and some folks still think the Jesuits didnt mine..still believing their cover story 300 years later...now that is a cover story indeed-or an overload of gullibility...
oro for the correctly informed
rangler

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Don Jose de La Mancha

Salt cannot be used by itself to recover precious metals from ore. It is used in conjunction with mercury in the amalgamation process - the patio process being the most common method used in the New World, primarily for the recovery of silver. Gold recovery until fairly recent times was commonly confined to simple oxide ores that could be easily crushed in arrastras and collected with mercury. And also, of course, as mentioned, mercury collects fine gold from placer operations. Mercury was the key for recovery of both metals, and until the 1800's was not available in the New World except from the Crown.

Salt is a common mineral widely available. There was no way to restrict its usage or a need to.

Antimony is not used to recover precious metals from ore. It is used to separate silver and other minerals from gold in the refining stage - such as coinage, jewely , etc.

If I were coding the location of something valuable, RdTTT, it would be a proprietary code known only by me and a very small group of others - like, maybe one.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
Trackers
Salt is used when acids like aqua regia [kings water] -sulfuric and hydrochloric is used to refine pure gold,the gold is melted by the acids and put into 'solution' that is liquified, salt is used to knock the gold out of suspension~! as every gold miner worth his salt knows~!!
oro in suspension or otherwise...
rangler
ps this was a skill that the Jesuits learned in their course of metallurgy note: when the gold ore was melted, the mix of gold and silver was called "metalica" and the coded sign from the Jesuits was a three pointed crown. There is a very nice sun sign of metallica on my site, one of my most valued sign as it is super rare.
As a side note, the Gold in most of the west and sw contained approx 20%-of Silver- it is no accident of circumstances that the quint or tax on the gold was set at 20%-a convenient amount since when the Jesuits smelted the Metallica, the 20% Silver paid the Tax and they got to take the 80% gold which was less bulky and portable..shipped to the Pope according to the Contract.
Pretty neatly tied up with a bow.

was antimony used to amalgamate gold?
[h=3]The Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by D. Brewster[/h]

Last edited:

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
My point is that if mercury is mined here when my dad is still alive, then my reasoning is that it was here when the spanish were mining gold or silver. The metals were here already. If they could find the gold they could find the mercury, water, food, and Ullsup`s to get a deep fried burrito.

Pala y pico.
Yes, SLO County in California for example has about ~100 to 150 abandoned mercury mines. Of course the "official" government documents indicate the earliest began operating in the mid 1800s. That said, the Spanish were there earlier and there are a few Spanish Missions in the region:

-La Purisima Concepcion, 1787
-San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, 1772
-San Miguel Arcangel, 1797
-San Antonio de Padua, 1771
-Nuestra Senora de la Soledad, 1791
-San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, 1770
-San Juan Bautista, 1797

So the mercury was there and so were the Jesuits, Franciscans and rumors of silver mines in SLO County even though the county is not known for large precious metals deposits.

I am still confused how the Sierra Nevada Motherlode was not exploited by the Spanish considering it was Franciscans who first discovered and named the "Sierra Nevada" Mountains in the late 1700s which was well before the 49ers arrived. There was a thread here by EagleDown where he talked about a Spanish Mine he discovered and explored in Mariposa County.

Here is a brief post about it below, although he has several posts regarding this mine in that thread.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, SLO County in California for example has about ~100 to 150 abandoned mercury mines. Of course the "official" government documents indicate the earliest began operating in the mid 1800s. That said, the Spanish were there earlier and there are a few Spanish Missions in the region:

-La Purisima Concepcion, 1787
-San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, 1772
-San Miguel Arcangel, 1797
-San Antonio de Padua, 1771
-Nuestra Senora de la Soledad, 1791
-San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, 1770
-San Juan Bautista, 1797

So the mercury was there and so were the Jesuits, Franciscans and rumors of silver mines in SLO County even though the county is not known for large precious metals deposits.

I am still confused how the Sierra Nevada Motherlode was not exploited by the Spanish considering it was Franciscans who first discovered and named the "Sierra Nevada" Mountains in the late 1700s which was well before the 49ers arrived. There was a thread here by EagleDown where he talked about a Spanish Mine he discovered and explored in Mariposa County.

Here is a brief post about it below, although he has several posts regarding this mine in that thread.
Your California lost mine legends queries span a number of timelines.

Spanish period: mostly later 1700s up to Mexican independence in 1821. Not a long period, mining still controlled by the Crown, but not a lot of records of this in Mexico. Scant mention (if any) of cinnabar. Mostly a focus on religious zeal applied to the numerous Natives. Limited mining plausible in lower elevations - maybe by the religious for trade items.

Mexican period: less control, much more population, more mining. The cinnabar was discovered and exploited in the mid-1800s and widely used in the placer fields for recovery of fine gold. The coastal hills and Sierra Nevada became busy after the Mexican War (1848) when the Anglos poured in. Likely a fair number of abandoned mines, as they played out and the Mexicans and Anglos just moved on to better diggings. Caches of great value, or abandoned rich mines? Always a chance, I guess, but why?

Anglo period: after 1848, folks were all over the creeks and hills finding lots of gold. Lots of $$ from the cinnabar mines too, to support them. Now, since you're seemingly interested in San Luis Obispo County, here's something to ponder re legends. Paso Robles was a KGC hotbed. The James family was maybe the most recognized name to most, but one Jacob Waltz happened to be a player there too before moving on to Arizona and notoriety vis-a-vis the Lost Dutchman Mine. I've often wondered about the Paso Robles area.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Your California lost mine legends queries span a number of timelines.

Spanish period: mostly later 1700s up to Mexican independence in 1821. Not a long period, mining still controlled by the Crown, but not a lot of records of this in Mexico. Scant mention (if any) of cinnabar. Mostly a focus on religious zeal applied to the numerous Natives. Limited mining plausible in lower elevations - maybe by the religious for trade items.

Mexican period: less control, much more population, more mining. The cinnabar was discovered and exploited in the mid-1800s and widely used in the placer fields for recovery of fine gold. The coastal hills and Sierra Nevada became busy after the Mexican War (1848) when the Anglos poured in. Likely a fair number of abandoned mines, as they played out and the Mexicans and Anglos just moved on to better diggings. Caches of great value, or abandoned rich mines? Always a chance, I guess, but why?

Anglo period: after 1848, folks were all over the creeks and hills finding lots of gold. Lots of $$ from the cinnabar mines too, to support them. Now, since you're seemingly interested in San Luis Obispo County, here's something to ponder re legends. Paso Robles was a KGC hotbed. The James family was maybe the most recognized name to most, but one Jacob Waltz happened to be a player there too before moving on to Arizona and notoriety vis-a-vis the Lost Dutchman Mine. I've often wondered about the Paso Robles area.
This is very good education. I just speculated that perhaps the Spanish secretively had mining ops in California but as you say it probably was on a limited scale. Most of the mining began during the Mexican era and accelerated during the Anglos. So likely little to nothing to find in the Sierra Nevada's from Spanish times but perhaps Mexican/Anglo - lots of legends but no real documented finds but unsure if people would even disclose their finds if they found something. Personally, I would keep my mouth 😶🤫.

My interest in SLO County was mostly due to the possible connection of cinnabar mining and potential lost Spanish silver/gold mines in the region but that is likely a stretch given lack of metal mined in the county. Although, my other interest with SLO is the exceptional wines coming from Paso Robles but thats a discussion for another day. 😁

I do recall Jesse James hiding out in Paso Robles - La Panza Ranch and a few months ago I came across a document about Waltz in Paso. I need to find this document as I vaguely remember it now. That would make sense then that Waltz was a KGC operative. KGC is a difficult topic to research as the scope of it is so broad - activities all over the US and also in Canada, Mexico and abroad.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're interested in "truth", IMO you need to approach this stuff like a cop working on a cold case. Be able to abandon your ideas in lieu of better ones.

Yeah, your wines are getting pretty good, if not pricey. Still a bit too sulfitey for me however. I tend to measure all US wines for their quality and price against the ubiquitous table wines to be found anywhere in the Mediterranean basin.

The KGC topic is a rabbit hole, even though IMO there is fire producing all the smoke - somewhere. Trouble is, even the experts fail to produce much more than a ton of circumstantial evidence. I guess if they're clever enough to find something, maybe they're also smart enough to keep their mouths shut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread