OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I contacted Coin star and asked the question "WHO OWNS THE COINS LEFT IN THE COIN STAR MACHINES COIN REJECT TRAY?"

Here is their Official Answer posted in my most recent article on the topic: Who owns the coins left in the Coin Star machines coin reject tray?

You may be surprised to learn what the company said....

Thanks for reading. Please don't shoot the messenger, I was curious as to how it should be handled in an effort for public awareness on the subject.

Thanks, Rob

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure.
I'll have to ask for my possibly forgotten silver coins next time I dump my coins in a coinstar machine from the last time I dumped.
Think the store will hand me any coins? :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. To answer your question, the coins that are left in the reject slot belong to the last customer that used the kiosk and in the event of finding them, the store personnel should be informed, and coins should be left with them.

Thank you,

Coinstar Customer Service
800-928-2274
www.coinstar.com
Reference # 8001951990″

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure Honest Samuel keeps track and reports. He is Honest Samuel after all :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What company response? Did you see a company response? Anyone else?

But I do see some abandoned coins in the reject tray....

No one wants them but me....

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail. To answer your question, the coins that are left in the reject slot belong to the last customer that used the kiosk and in the event of finding them, the store personnel should be informed, and coins should be left with them.

Thank you,

Coinstar Customer Service
800-928-2274
www.coinstar.com
Reference # 8001951990″

That response makes no sense. Any number of people could have used the machine without checking the reject bin. No one can know who the rejects may have belonged to so I'd say that if you find it, it's yours.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That response makes no sense. Any number of people could have used the machine without checking the reject bin. No one can know who the rejects may have belonged to so I'd say that if you find it, it's yours.

It makes perfect sense.

Coinstar said:

He is the thing- you can be the last customer to use the coin star machine and the contents of the return tray can be rightfully yours.

All you gotta do is use the coin star machine.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Catch Duckshot's drift there friends?

:) :) :)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is the thing- you can be the last customer to use the coin star machine and the contents of the return tray can be rightfully yours. All you gotta do is use the coin star machine.

Best answer. Just throw your pocket change in the machine and cash out. All the rejects now belong to you, since you didn't think to check the tray before you started.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it as recycling. You don't want coins overflowing on the floor and causing problems.
Besides, Duckshot solved this issue.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just gonna have to bypass all of that and put them in my pocket. Why make a big fuss over chump change? If you find a dime on the sidewalk, do you take it to the house or business it is laying in front of? If you find a coin metal detecting, is your first concern who lost it? It would be just a difficult to find who lost it, as it would be to find out who left them in the Coin machine.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 6 silver half dollars.
Can I have a bible thumping, God fearing, nothing but honest, store employee hold onto these until the rightful owner is found?? Yeah,, right.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It makes perfect sense.

He is the thing- you can be the last customer to use the coin star machine and the contents of the return tray can be rightfully yours.

All you gotta do is use the coin star machine.

The answer doesn't make sense. They're making an assumption that the rejects in the tray came from the last user. That isn't always going to be the case.

And as far as using the machine before checking the reject tray...

I have to let Coinstar take a percentage of my pocket change for the privilege to check in the reject slot? No thanks.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting info, thanks for investigating and sharing with us!

From my reading of "the coins that are left in the reject slot belong to the last customer that used the kiosk" It could be construed that the status of being a customer is independent of whether or not you, on that particular occasion, purchased goods or services. So a prospective customer is still technically a customer, and one who taps on the screen and checks the payout options will clearly have "used the kiosk", thus if you touch the screen then the coins are yours according a more creative interpretation of the the helpfully terse company statement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread