artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's so rare for me to see another woman with a metal detector and I wonder why. Is it because of the bugs and going to isolated areas, is it not wanting to get dirty hands, or is it not being able to make the time due to the demands of family? I've looked into group hunts, and around here at least, it seems as if they are exclusively male, which would make most women uncomfortable. I wish that there was a group for women who were interested in hunting together..is there any interest in starting one??

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't for the life of me figure that one out either,Moon. ??? It's so much fun!! I hunted alone for over a year and lucky me, one day about a year ago, while I was getting all my relics out of the car, someone pulled into my drive. After about five minutes of chatting about MD'ing, I had me a huntin buddy! ;D She's a good one too! Don't mind the bugs and getting her hands dirty but she hates this heat! :D

Hope you can find a huntin buddy too! :) Nana

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
outdoors stuff --- lots of women are AC QUEENS --- simply put you ain't getting them outside the house in the summer unless it catches fire-- they don't do "outdoors" stuff --- they hate the heat, the bugs, getting dirty and messy so on and so forth --- my wifes just like that BUT she knows I like the outdoors and lets me be me and go metal detecting or deer hunting or fishing (depends on the time of year) a good bit with no "harping" about it -- I just got to keep the "honey do list" caught up to date but other than that its all good -- Ivan

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Maybe we don't care as much about looking like geeks?

Actually, if my wife and I are typical, it's probably because men are more inclined to shell out hundreds of dollars on electronics, while women prefer to spend it on clothing or accessories.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spidey said:
Maybe we don't care as much about looking like geeks?

Everything's good unless you have the black socks and sandles goin on, Spidey! :D

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Actually this is the only outdoor activity, other than laying on a beach, which I have found that I enjoy. i get up early, get good and dirty, break my knees and back, and don't even mind a bit! LOL I wish I could find a female hunting buddy in my area.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'd say it's preference of activity by gender either for natural or social reasons. Just like we might not see too many guys in a knitting club. I think it's great that there are people who put these standards to the side and give it a go.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cntrydncr1 said:
Actually this is the only outdoor activity, other than laying on a beach, which I have found that I enjoy. i get up early, get good and dirty, break my knees and back, and don't even mind a bit! LOL I wish I could find a female hunting buddy in my area.

I'm the same way...I work in an office during the day, but in the evening, I'm in my "grubs"..it's the only thing I've found, other than camping that I enjoy doing outdoors. I can even deal with the heat and the spiders (I HATE spiders)!! I consider myself to be a pretty feminine woman, but this hobby has me wallowing in the mud looking for wheaties :D and giving the guys a run for their money. and, I happen to find black socks with sandals VERY attractive ;) ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gloria Steinam would be very dissapointed in this question. Afterall, there's no inherent difference between men and women, besides indoor vs outdoor plumbing, right? :P

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Warden my wife thinks we are all crazy but shes a girl.Nana shhh Don of SJ wears black socks with tennies. :D AA

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think it takes a confident woman to go out and detect. Its not for wimps thats for sure. I grew up in a housefull of women on a dairy/horse farm who my parents taught that we could do anything. There were no gender boundaries. While all my sisters are very feminine in looks ,know which fork to use at dinner , are usually the classiest looking babes in the joint, they all took on careers that had them in a mans world. One runs a major canning factory, a horse trainer, a landscaper, a surveyor etc . I think so many girls were taught that alot of the adventurous roles were not open to them because they were girls . I grew up with a love for antiques,research and history....metal detecting just adds 'real history" to it.

I am kind of glad there arent as many women detectorists because it leaves the field wide open for those of us who are here and those of us who are raising daughters to enjoy it also.. I have seen so many women start to get involved in this hobby and then fizzle out after a few times. I am always so proud of the men here on the forum who have gotten their own daughters involved .
One thing about the women I know who detect....they arent afraid to get dirty.....maybe because we clean up sooooo well! :D ;)

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
I have hunted for treasure all my life in one way or the other :) I was born with a pirate book story in my hands LOL .Most women just do not think about it . They don't have the vision to see getting dirty and spraying insect repellent is a fun thing !! ;D I am the only one out of 50 women I work with that has a detector and goes out digging and searching for Indian relics :) Most of the time by myself :( Over the years I have included girlfriends from work to go with me > they had a ball and found neat things and have ask to go back even.

It is just women do not dream of finding treasure under the dirt or in a dump LOL. Most find their treasures at the Mall . LOL > but once exposed to the hobby, they usually become overjoyed with the "thrill of the hunt " ;D

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
artemis,

They probably just don't have the time.
Ya know the old saying.........
Men will work from sun to sun..........but women's work is NEVER done!
(i think that's how it goes)
:) :) :)

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
I think Ashleen and Gypsy hit it pretty much on the mark. Either they don't have time or it never occurs to them.
I guess growing up with brothers and spending most, if not all, of our time in the woods it just seems natural to get dirty and muddy.
I am not afraid of snakes or spiders or the usual creepy things..I don't like bees only because I am allergic.
I don't get out as much as I would like, with three kids (one who is special needs) I often have to squeeze in hunting when I can, not necessarily when I'd like.
So when I hunt, whether on my own or with someone else, it's even more enjoyable.
I do it because I like it and there is NOTHING that kills stress like mding.
Besides I love the look on my kids' faces when we are out digging.
DD

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is because some females are just smarter than us Dorks. The ones that do detect are really there so they can laugh at us first hand. ;D

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
Because there are great differences between women and men, Women are beautiful and Men are brave, and that's the way we were created, detecting is just more of an adventurist hobby like mountain climbing, so it appeals more to men. Why do more men join the military, why do more men box than women? If a neighborhood is safe it is kept that way by men, OK I went off on a rant sorry :), anyway it is a man oriented sport.

D

Doctor Detroit

I metal detect because it is relaxing, but it always wasn't this way. I was always nervous that I would be mugged or worse by some man in the woods or thought of as weird looking in the grass for coins like a homeless person.

I think men do it more because they enjoy the excitement of the hunt and most like techie stuff.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Men are hunters and women are gatherers...from the times of mankind living in caves. That said.....I think the women who have chosen this hobby are the coolest, smartest and have the most sex-appeal of all the women on this earth :).

BPMM

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? Because most of us stupid men are trying to make payments to ex-wives?
It would have been cheaper to include them into our hobby instead of trying to get away from them for a few hours at a time. hehe Just a joke! Don't get mad at me. :)

Desertfox

pinkysbliss

Aug 3, 2007
Tacoma,WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a chick and can not get enough of this MD'ing. I love finding things, hate the bugs(but oh well), my nails are ruined, hands are sore has heck and blistered, sun burnt, and filthy most days. AND if the kinds don't want to join me oh well they can stay home ;D...
BUT I have found something to do that gets me away from it all and is fun....

"TR"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions