Why do I hesitate to hunt this park?

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
There is a park about 5 miles from where I live and every time I go there there is 4 or 5 park workers there cutting grass and working on ball fields. I know noone ever hunts this park. There has got to be a lot of coins and jewelry there. Where do I look to see if it is legal to hunt my local parks? I have read so many posts about where to hunt and where not to hunt and when and when not to ask permission I dont know what to do. There are signs at the park that say no firearms and keep pets on a leash but nothing about metal detecting. Park has 3 ball fields a tot lot, volleyball court, basketball court, and soccer field and jogging trac. If you reply to my post please keep it civil!!!! Thank you.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there is nothing on the sign, Park your vehicle in the parking area,
Get out your Car, & Suit up to detect.
Make sure you have a small narrow digger for the first time.

IF a grounds Keeper looks your way, Smile & nod like you own the place.

If they ask you if you found any gold, "not Yet :tongue3: " or are looking for Gold,
Laugh & say Yep always looking :tongue3: if you get them Laughing and in a good mood,
it's hard for them to be rude.

if they start a longer conversation,
Get to know them, answer any questions openly,
as far as if you ever find anything good. perhaps they have some leads.
or are interested in getting one.

of course if it turns sour, Apologize, Say you stopped by the other day & asked a guy walking,
& he said yea others do it :dontknow: sorry !

& play it by ear

& above all Don't be afraid to look them in the eye & Smile.
after all Your Enjoying your pass time & the park :laughing7:
it's what it's there for :icon_thumright:

But don't enter fenced in areas, or well manicured ball fields
unless they suggest it. This has happened to me regularly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
Thanks for your reply Jeff. I will give that a try and I will keep you posted.

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd go for it when the workers aren't there. And if they are there, and someone comes up and says you can't hunt there, just apologize for not knowing, and leave. But before leaving I'd be tempted to ask the worker who you could talk to to verify the rule. Just my 2 cents worth.

'bulaDirtDog

Jan 12, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3000(AKA a Sharpshooter II w/volume control)LOL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opps, Guess it took me to long to type. Two answered before I finished.......guess I should have taken typing back in school. LOL!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd go for it when the workers aren't there. And if they are there, and someone comes up and says you can't hunt there, just apologize for not knowing, and leave. But before leaving I'd be tempted to ask the worker who you could talk to to verify the rule. Just my 2 cents worth.

Yep I actually pulled over a cop once, I had to do a U'ee & Flash my lights to get his attention.

Asked him If I could search this Square

Untitledhh.jpg

He said his Brother detects & No he was sure the town would never allow it.

I asked if he minded if I go over his head, and who would I ask ?
he directed me to the town office.

Needless to say, By the time He walked in the office door,
I was thanking the woman behind the glass, for getting me permission
from the Recreation committee :laughing7: spent almost a whole summer there

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opps, Guess it took me to long to type. Two answered before I finished.......guess I should have taken typing back in school. LOL!

LOL I was adding more While everyone else was responding also

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply Jeff. I will give that a try and I will keep you posted.

Just remember it will be hard for them to be an Arse to ya ,
if your not one to them.
So be friendly :icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
kinda what Jeff says, but instead of being prepared, as he says for " ... if a groundskeeper looks your way ....", I would differ on that. I wouldn't be hunting a nice turfed park, when groundskeepers are there, for that to even happen, to begin with. Not that there's anything wrong with this mind you (if it's like you say, and there's no specific prohibitions), but just that ...... kinda like nose-picking: you want to use correct timing. I mean, let's face it, our hobby has connotations and draw looks from curious folks. So .... go at off times, after 5pm, etc...

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda what Jeff says, but instead of being prepared, as he says for " ... if a groundskeeper looks your way ....", I would differ on that. I wouldn't be hunting a nice turfed park, when groundskeepers are there. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you (if it's like you say, and there's no specific prohibitions), but just that ...... kinda like nose-picking, you want to use correct timing. I mean, let's face it, our hobby has connotations and draw looks from curious folks. So .... go at off times, after 5pm, etc...

Of course if you can sneak in during their off time (lunch maybe) to start it's better, But
he said they are always there. I know parks like that.
(Dawn to dusk)
& in those cases I've done like I said.

of course even I have shyed away from one or 3 in my life,
even though I can't figure why

2 of last years best parks for me were parks I feared for 40 years

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
I guess it would be best to hunt this park after 5pm. This park is where they keep all of their grounds equipment. There is always workers there from 8 until 5. I have been there 20 times or more to check to see if they were there and everytime I went they were there. Where should I start in this park? Thanks guys!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I guess it would be best to hunt this park after 5pm. This park is where they keep all of their grounds equipment. There is always workers there from 8 until 5. I have been there 20 times or more to check to see if they were there and everytime I went they were there. Where should I start in this park? Thanks guys!

Yes Jeff and neuseman, I saw in the OP that ... the workers were said be "always there". However, I took that to be a generalization. As in "each time I'd gone" or "between regular working hours" or some such thing. Because I can hardly envision a park where ... truly ... workers were "always there". Unless it's like an amusement park where ... truly .. someone is always there to collect fees for the rides? Assuming it's not such a place (like a zoo, or something there there's perpetual attendants, even at night, etc..), then certainly ... for a regular park, there's no workers there after 6pm for instance. Or on Sunday am early ... Or ... quite frankly .... at night. Yup I hunt park turf at night a lot of time. So peaceful ... So serene .... :)

OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
The park sings say the park is closed at dusk. The workers are there from 8am til 5pm.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If I'm not mistaken ...... "dusk" .... if not at THIS time of year, certainly at OTHER times of the year, is well in excess of 5pm. Is it not? Not sure about NC, but here in CA, right now, it's not "dusk" till nearly 6pm. And within a month or two, that will go out to nearly 7pm. And at the peak of summer, be nearly 8:30 or 9pm, .... eh?

OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
Yeah thats right. Here in NC its 7 or so before dark now and 9 or so on the longest daysof the year.

TC024

Feb 25, 2013
Johnson City, Tn
Detector(s) used
Shopping for first now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a park about 5 miles from where I live and every time I go there there is 4 or 5 park workers there cutting grass and working on ball fields. I know noone ever hunts this park. There has got to be a lot of coins and jewelry there. Where do I look to see if it is legal to hunt my local parks? I have read so many posts about where to hunt and where not to hunt and when and when not to ask permission I dont know what to do. There are signs at the park that say no firearms and keep pets on a leash but nothing about metal detecting. Park has 3 ball fields a tot lot, volleyball court, basketball court, and soccer field and jogging trac. If you reply to my post please keep it civil!!!! Thank you.

This needs to be in a beginners tip post some place. Great post.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Listen to jeff of pa, he has good advice. One thing I would like to add is if you feel the need to call the park deparment to get permission, I would suggest this. Don't ever ask for permission for park hunting.. Ask if there is a rule or law against detecting in the park. Basically, you don't need permission if there isn't any rules or laws against detecting in a park. If you ask for permission, the person you ask may tell you no even though it's not their job to do so. By asking if there is a rule or law against it, they will have to give you an answer, not an opinion. If they say there is a rule or law against it, ask for a copy of the rules and laws so you can verify it yourself.

If it is legal to detect in the park, then don't act like you are doing something wrong. If someone stops you and tries to tell you otherwise, then don't back down. Hold your ground. Just because they don't know the rules and laws doesn't mean you don't. If a police stops you, tell them you have checked into it and there is no rule or law against it. The police are there to enforce the law, not make it.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always contact the cities Park and Rec department. Normally the people there are really casual and always have helped me out. I have asked the Parks and Rec Department in 3 seperate cities and in each of them I have received written permission. EVERYONE on here will disagree with me and state that it's pointless to ask and that people will just say "no" because it's easier, but I swear to you it's worked for me.
I work in law enforcement so normally I tend to do things by the book, call your Parks and Rec, you'll feel better about it knowing you've asked the proper individual.
From how you sound, I can sense concern and honesty in your words, it's nice to know you are trying to do the right thing.

OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
Thanks everyone for your advise. I have been detecting for about 2 years now. I just bought an Omega 8000. I still dont have a pinpointer yet but I can cut a good plug but I think I will wait on this park until I get my pinpointer. Thanks again for everyone's posts and advise. Thats why I love this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread