What's new

Why do people buy bags of dirt with Gold in them, please!

Wishbone

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
257
Reaction score
91
Golden Thread
0
Location
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people buy bags of dirt with Gold in them, please!
 
Some people are looking for a fun way to spend the winter months , that reminds them of treasure hunting , and gold panning is a lot of fun ! Most
know better than to think they'll get anything too rich in these "salted bags "
 
I live in PA, where I could pan the creeks the rest of my life,
and due to not having the Eyesight or Experience to see a Microscopic grain
of gold in a pan, or the ability to run off to another state that has gold ore
at will. Buying dirt & panning it made it possible for me to experience the thrill of panning
& seeing actual real gold in a pan.

I know it's like my own Make a wish Foundation gift :laughing7:

but it was fun.

Nice thing, I still have the dirt with the Fines, & if I wish I can dump the pickerage
back in & repan any time I dern well wish 8-)
No that won't be quite the same as having a Fresh bag or 3 to Pan,
but until GPAA decides to have a gold show in the state again,
Getting some fresh new Bags are only a dream :(

But yes I can sleep at night knowing, If one night while sleeping, Rogue Gold Prospectors sneak into my house, Gag & Hog tie me to the back of their
vehicle, & spirit me off to gold Country, I do know how to pan correctly
to save my life :tongue3:
 
Last edited:
I live in Florida.

Sand. No dirt- especially with any gold.

I was heading to N.C. where I have access to property with streams and fine gold flakes.

Having never panned before I practiced with a mixture of dirt, small rocks (imported as well) and some lead pellets from my pellet gun.

I wanted actual experience on finding the gold and actually panning it out. I practiced and practiced with it. I knew that I'd find less than the value of what I paid for it- that's a no brainer.

Let everything dry, and practice pan again. I had actually gotten pretty good at it for a complete novice.

We went to N.C. and I'm now the proud owner of 30 or so small flecks of gold that my wife and I panned from the stream.

Lastly- can you think of a better gift to give anyone who already has what they need? A bag of dirty gold and a gold pan for their birthday makes a really fun gift.

All the birthday person has to do is pan out the yellow stuff! It makes for a fun time. Beat's 'Pin The Tail on Aunt Mildred' every time for a party game...

You should listen to everyone whooping and hollering when a fleck of gold appears...

IMG_0719.webp

IMG_0726.webp
 
A bag of paydirt is cheaper than the gas to go try out that new pan in gold country. TTC
 
I think "FUN" would be the only reason for some people. its a joke to me. its no different than buying a 50 dollar lottery ticket and winning 20 bucks...always feel like a winner if you find something...but the chances of it being worth it (Monetary) isnt going to happen.

I used to pan for metatheses with my Grandma at the flea market when i was younger...and yea, it was fun...But thats all it is
 
I think "FUN" would be the only reason for some people. its a joke to me. its no different than buying a 50 dollar lottery ticket and winning 20 bucks...always feel like a winner if you find something...but the chances of it being worth it (Monetary) isnt going to happen.

I used to pan for metatheses with my Grandma at the flea market when i was younger...and yea, it was fun...But thats all it is
Of course buying paydirt is fun.... but it is still cheaper than going to Disney World! Is Mickey handing out gold at the gate when you leave? Hmmm? TTC
 
Of course buying paydirt is fun.... but it is still cheaper than going to Disney World! Is Mickey handing out gold at the gate when you leave? Hmmm? TTC

haha...well thats a HUUGE Jump....All I was getting at, was its only for FUN....and not to expect to find a 1oz Nugget in one of those bags.

And last time i went to Disney, was the LAST TIME I will ever go there again....even if Mickey was handing out gold...that would probably only cover the Food and Parking
 
:dontknow: Heck, people buy bags of dirt with out gold in them as well.:laughing7:golden_king_banner.webp
 
:dontknow: Heck, people buy bags of dirt with out gold in them as well.:laughing7:View attachment 966251

I overheard a conversation once.
one kid asked the other how to grow Pot.
he told him to get some seeds, plant them in the dirt
where the sun will get to them.
His next question was Where can I steal some dirt ? :laughing7:

Some people just don't know where to find free dirt
 
I will sell a bag of dirt that you can detect. It will contain a coin. Maybe an IH, or merc, or even a gold coin. At the least ...a zincoln.

and for 4 bucks..ill throw in a roll of unsearched wheats
 
and for 4 bucks..ill throw in a roll of unsearched wheats

Heck, for $8 I'll throw in the thrill of 851 pull tabs, 164 bottle caps, $1.12 in clad, and a gold ring that says 14K but turns your finger green all mixed into 2 yards of dirt that we could unload right onto your living room floor. :)
 
Last edited:
Just a fun thing to do, Wishbone, and no harm in it. Some of those are salted so you can experience the thrill of seein color in the pan. Better to have the kids doin that than god knows whatever they get up to these days when you ain't lookin. And in the far fetched case they were bein purchased to amuse the kids, I admire the parent who was able to get them interested in that sort of thing. And if it's for adult use, hey, more power to you. Gold is where you find it. Expect to find those bags of dirt interesting, but don't expect to strike it rich.
 
I live in Florida.

Sand. No dirt- especially with any gold.

I was heading to N.C. where I have access to property with streams and fine gold flakes.

Having never panned before I practiced with a mixture of dirt, small rocks (imported as well) and some lead pellets from my pellet gun.

I wanted actual experience on finding the gold and actually panning it out. I practiced and practiced with it. I knew that I'd find less than the value of what I paid for it- that's a no brainer.

Let everything dry, and practice pan again. I had actually gotten pretty good at it for a complete novice.

We went to N.C. and I'm now the proud owner of 30 or so small flecks of gold that my wife and I panned from the stream.

Lastly- can you think of a better gift to give anyone who already has what they need? A bag of dirty gold and a gold pan for their birthday makes a really fun gift.

All the birthday person has to do is pan out the yellow stuff! It makes for a fun time. Beat's 'Pin The Tail on Aunt Mildred' every time for a party game...

You should listen to everyone whooping and hollering when a fleck of gold appears...

View attachment 966146

View attachment 966161

Wood that be Vain Mt NC? Frank...

As for your other remark, It depends on what Aunt Mildred looks like!
111-2 700.webp
 
Your right RGINN, there's no harm in it, and if your having fun, go for it! I like what GIBB said :).
Why wouldn't you just order the gold, and get your own dirt, we're miners? It would save on shipping wouldn't it, and you'd be panning materials that you'll actually be panning outside the garage, not in Tibet...lol.?
 
The grandson loved his! So I got one for me and little bag came with my gold pan, figured I should practice before I go out in public and have people ask me "what 'cha make'n ". Lol! And I can replay " dirt".

There were some interesting small rocks in the fill they dumped on the beach last year.
 
I think my father-in-law has it figured out. He requests dirt bags for his birthday and holidays. He never pays for his gold and it gives him something to do during the long winter when he runs out of concentrates. :laughing7:

old-cabin31.webp
 
I realy like this topic !! Think it would be great fun to play around with over our long winter, now the hard part to get some shipped to canada , with the weight etc. iam sure it would not be cheap?

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom