What's new

Why do YOU treasure hunt

I love the mystery of it! Being able to find something and identify what it is and what time period it is from is more fun to me then worrying about how much it is worth. :)

I completely agree. I say that quite often
 
For me its several things. Being very new to this, I have found that the thrill of the hunt is addicting. There is nothing like finding something. Watching some of the posts here I get caught up in the research of the items, looking for what something is or when it was produced.

It also gives me a chance to enjoy a shared hobby with my grandson.

Another thing that I can easily see, again being very new, is the cameraderie that goes along with the sport. The Urban Dictionary, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=comradery defines it as:

"A special bond within a group that is in no way erotic or homoerotic. It is the feeling when other around you are set to the same goal as you are. This does not need to be a group of friends, but often comradery is a stepping-stone to a great friendship."

That last part is what I am finding EVERY DAY here on Tnet and a couple other local places I have recently found.

I have not felt that feeling in over 20 years.....When I made the biggest mistake of my life and got out of the Military. I think that is one of the reasons I am so high on this sport. People whom I have never met, just those with a like interest, seem closer to me in a few posts on this forum or at my local MD store in Spring, Tx, than people I have worked side by side with for the last 15 years or so...it's amazing really.
 
Last edited:
I guess the history is what draws me to metal detecting.The every day items I've found thrill me even more than an expensive ring would I think and I marvel at how far we have come with each time period piece I dig. The personal items mean so much to me,like a coat button or even a shard of pottery.

I'm along those lines also CG. I'm the type that will unravel a 1920's-30's toothpaste tube just to see the art deco design. I dearly love to find old marbles or bottles while out there. I remember being initialy surprised that people detected for monetary gain. It was never my focus. I was farting around today and dug this out from under a tree. It was seriously pinned under there. Too bad that it was grown into the limb. I left it for anyone interested. If intact I would have taken it home.





 
Two words INDIANA JONES, love those movies as a child and didn't have a chance to go to college for one reason or another. So this is as close as I can get.
 
Why do I?...

I like hiking and exploring, I love collecting and discovering, I enjoy finding and sharing.

It is a nice outlet for me ever since I was just a young hoardster.
 
HI BC1969; For me it is that as I say and believe that: The greatest treasure one can find is Peace Of Mind. Those moments will last a life time. YOu don't have to search for them; they come. You don't have to pay for them; Christ already did and no one can ever take them awa; they are yours to keep. It is also the fresh air, the sights you see, the people you meet, the thrill of the hunt and yes making that next find. I hope this helps. Now you know why I always sign off my Posts with PEACE:RONB
ENJOY YOUR SERENITY. !!!!!! :coffee2::icon_thumright:
 
I'm disabled from an accident and have been recovering for the last 10 years. The accident left me with epilepsy and a broken spine in 3 places (4 spine surgeries). I have involuntary muscle movement (shaking/twitching) MDing helps distract my mind and helps me cope with my situation. I can't MD for long sessions but all I can say is when I am MDing I forget about my problems. I enjoy hunting the unknown and then learning the history.
 
Because the silver is calling to me. It haunts my dreams and calls me to rescue it.
 
I like the history and research, but hey, I love finding lost money. Be it gold, silver, old copper or just plain clad. I hoard everything. Only sold one or two items in the past 10 years and wish I would of kept them. Coffee cans of clad, hundreds of silver coins, along with a booty bag of jewelry. To me, it's how much can I accumulate before I can't physically do it anymore.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom