What's new

Why do YOU treasure hunt

BC1969

Banned
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
6,073
Reaction score
10,453
Golden Thread
0
Location
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi I am curious as to why folks treasure hunt, be it just for pleasure, for the chance to make a easy buck, or whatever reason you may have, I would like to read about it.
Maybe share your favorite story of a interesting find you made.
For me I really love to be outdoors, the smells, the songs the birds sing, and the most important thing of all, spending quality time with my wife.
When I find something, be it old or new, I love to let my imagination run free and I like to think what was the person doing when they lost that item, I guess I really love the history behind things.
I once sat at the base of a huge old oak tree and pondered why I found what I just had, a man's and a woman's wedding bands in the same hole, I must have sat there for 3 hours just enjoying the day and wondering why they would take their rings off at the base of that tree, is there some symbolic gesture in doing that ? I may never know.
Happy Hunting

Mike
 
The thrill of something for nothing. The inherent nature in anyone to find something valuable. The skill and strategy of doing so. I mean, why go fishing (and spend all that money on gear, and drive to some remote place, and spend hours of your life), when you can just buy the same fish, for much less money and time expended? Because when you catch that fish yourself, there's the "gotcha" trophy mentality that's inherently innately in all of us.
 
Iam retired.And finally found something that relaxes me and i have fun searching.I have only had my md for about 2 months and no great finds yet.In fact mostly trash.But what excites me is the possibilities.I don't feel i will find something that will make me rich.And when friends ask i always tell them if i wanted to get coins everyday i would do better to stand in front of 7/11 with a tin cup in my hand.But for me its the thrill of the hunt.
 
Love finding pieces of history and wondering about the story behind it. If I found a chest of gold coins it would be GOOD lol....but that's not the motive behind the hobby for me. Just not knowing what you will dig up next is the thrill...
 
"The charm of fishing and metal detecting is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"
~John Buchan~ in part
 
42deacd7-0e82-3551-a943-260513834436.webpFOR THIS.......................th.webp
 
The surprise and suspense. And the reason I actually started detecting ..... Local history aspect! I love local history and I love finding local pieces! Also I collect coins so I like finding them
 
I guess the history is what draws me to metal detecting.The every day items I've found thrill me even more than an expensive ring would I think and I marvel at how far we have come with each time period piece I dig. The personal items mean so much to me,like a coat button or even a shard of pottery.
 
Last edited:
I love the fresh air, digging in dirt, wading in the water on a hot summer day, having adventures, having a reason to hang out at the beach or in parks, the exercise I get, and learning about history through my finds. Outside of those things, the absolute adrenaline rush you get when you find something valuable or unique is totally addictive.
 
Most of the answers here should be in a fairy tale book.....
 
I really like the idea of finding something that nobody has seen for x number of years, plus you never know what you will find. If it's worth some money, thats fine. If it isn't, oh well. A couple of months ago, I sold my plain silver to help pay for a trip to New Mexico with my buddie. One of the coolist things I have run into was while detecting next to my Uncles corn field, I saw movement in front of me and looked up. There were a pair of fawns not 3 feet in front of me and watching me, and I didn't have a camera. Thank goodness they left before mom showed up.
 
The thrill of something for nothing. The inherent nature in anyone to find something valuable. The skill and strategy of doing so. I mean, why go fishing (and spend all that money on gear, and drive to some remote place, and spend hours of your life), when you can just buy the same fish, for much less money and time expended? Because when you catch that fish yourself, there's the "gotcha" trophy mentality that's inherently innately in all of us.

Tom!!!! WE Love your answer!!! except the First Part!!! The thrill of something for nothing. Remember How Much You spend on Batteries, gas, Food ECT, ECT. Love your Posts Keep them Up Chug And Red!!!!
 
I really like the idea of finding something that nobody has seen for x number of years, plus you never know what you will find. If it's worth some money, thats fine. If it isn't, oh well. A couple of months ago, I sold my plain silver to help pay for a trip to New Mexico with my buddie. One of the coolist things I have run into was while detecting next to my Uncles corn field, I saw movement in front of me and looked up. There were a pair of fawns not 3 feet in front of me and watching me, and I didn't have a camera. Thank goodness they left before mom showed up.


Just Like Red and The eagles and Salmon!!!!
 
I am a hunter. Always have been. Rifle, bow, camera, and now a metal detector. It's an innate part of me. It's not my fault, at least that's what I tell the wife. Double eagles or doubloons would be nice, but it's the chance of finding history that intrigues me.
 
Well.... I guess we all dream of finding that "buried treasure" a one in a million to billion chance. BUT that excitement and feeling you get as you dig wondering "is this the one" as your heart picks up speed.........Ahhhhh, there's nothing like it! But once you come back down to earth, the quietness, the solitude, listening to nature or a babbling brook, doing some thinking....or not thinking too much, the exercise we get, getting away from family, or including family with you. It's all good.....even if we don't get diddly squat! And BECAUSE you NEVER KNOW if today or tonight is your time for that big one! I think if I found that big one I'd be like Fred Sanford holding my chest and yelling that is truly the big one!!!!! I wish everyone good happy healthy hunting!
 
So I don't go - bezirk :tongue3:
 
I love the exercise and the history part of it but what amazes me is the variety of things people lose, some valuable some not. Happy Hunting!
 
I love the mystery of it! Being able to find something and identify what it is and what time period it is from is more fun to me then worrying about how much it is worth. :)
 
I do it because it gets me off the couch, and keeps me out of trouble! I enjoy the research aspect of it too, and learning the history of my area. My latest endeavors involve researching the old stage routes here, and it is starting to pay off. Not so much monetarily, but the quality and age of my finds. I love this hobby!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom