Why so many skunks.......

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
hey guys
considering and seems everyone is skunkinng out lately, why do u think this is? I know my boxes have been horrible as opposed to last yr. It seems to me like there are just too many hunters killing the silver thats out there.
I used to average like 10-20 per box. I got 5 silvers in 2 boxes yesterday and i thought it was xmas. That is sad.
what are your thoughts.

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
too many people hunting. not enough silver to go around. i am about to increase my volume to 30 a week. hope it will bring my finds back up. october was the worst month for me yet

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
When I started this two years ago no one seemed to know about this. Now it seems every town has somenone ordering halves. Sign of the times. I am still pulling in Silver weekly but it can't last forever. Hey look at it his way there is still tons of silver and gold in the ground waiting to be found.

Golden Silver

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
I think it is the number of hunters. All you need to do is add a few in a given search area. Then divide the keepers up and you can see how quickly the numbers shrink like yours did. People are still turning in alot, however. I picked up 30 in one shot and 40 in another in the past five weeks, but 9 out of 10 banks I go to I hear the "I just gave some away routine" and we know only collectors pick up halves. Just one opinion.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It's the people doing the road trips. Tthey are scooping up all the silver brfore it get's shipped out.

In my opinion this alone is killing the box finds.

It's bad enough to have to contend with the tellers but the cold callers are the second wave of opposition and than finally doing 30 boxes a week is not going to really improve your numbers. I have actually decreased my box orders as I found I was searching my own dumps. I mean you cand't possibly believe your not going to get your own dumps back! In just a matter of weeks that 30 box dump gets re wrapped and re distributed to the only people ordering halves..... CRH's

How many halves do you really think circulate?...... None!!!!!!... The only halves that trickle in are from hoarders and CRH's. that's a very small part of the poupulation. and the CRH's are in larger numbers, now, than hoarders turning in their old stash. so doing 5 or 10 boxes a week would be the same as 30 boxes a week, you will capture that grandma dump, in a box, if it ever makes it past the tellers and cold callers, and no matter if you order 4 boxes or 30 youre gonna catch it if your the only box searcher in your area. But there is your mystery. Your hunt. how many people order boxes in your area? Good question.

If we just stopped the road trips and do box searches only, the box finds would increase. but there is no way to get everyone to stop doing the road trip / cold calls, so I guess your only choice is to beat them to the bank .... as they say.

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Keith,
I bought my first box in early December of 2008. I've found that my boxes are exactly the same as when I first started. No better or worse. In other words they are consistently poor. Just like a year ago the unmarked/unstamped boxes are skunks or produce 1 40% This has remained consistant as well. To top it off those one 40 % always have an edge that can easily be missed. You never find the nice silver stripe.
I use 4 or five different banks and I've noticed that with the exception of one they always have different boxes.
Here is what I found
Boxes stamped with a 4 digit number beginning with five are never skunks and produce the most and best coin.

Boxes stamped CWI with a date stamp are either skunks or produce a couple
Boxes stamped with a 4 digit number starting with 2 same as above
Boxes without a stamp are 90% skunk rate and if they produce at all its one 40
I'm at banks six days a week and I have never encountered anyone buying a box but I've run into CRHers. They range from down and out junkies to soccer moms.
I'm also as of late noticing marked quarters (of all things) and marked dimes.
Lot's of scam10 and 25 cent handrolls too. In fact so many that I won't do them anymore. Found as many as a half a dozen nickels in a quarter roll and filed down pennies in dime rolls not to mention foreign coins from all over the world.
Economic times are getting real bad and I'm seeing stuff that I've never seen before. I live in the burbs and we have beggars on the corners.
Everytime I go to fill up my gas tank I'm approached by a hooker or a begger. Last month there was a grannie with hot pants hooking at the gas pumps. She wasn't a junkie either. I told her she could make more money removing her choppers and giving a bazooka Joe job. Seriously it's sad

Getting back to the boxes I think a lot of silver never makes it to the armoured car company. Lots of CHRers and wise tellers about.
Connecticut which is financially not as bad as other states will soon catch up. Then I think you will see more people turning in coin and hopefully end up in boxes. We shall see.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Coinmojo,

Halves circulate big time at Dunkin Donuts. At least once a week I get keepers there.

You can't beat this road tripper to the bank. I make a note of the banks where the tellers say "I just gave them out". I'm outside the door before they open.

I always dump my coins in a machine where Dunbar makes the pick-up. All of my boxes are delivered by Loomis. I don't know, but I assume this lessens my chance of getting back the same coins.

HH
Rich

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
coinmojo said:
If we just stopped the road trips and do box searches only, the box finds would increase. but there is no way to get everyone to stop doing the road trip / cold calls, so I guess your only choice is to beat them to the bank .... as they say.

Mojo

Ain't no way I'm gonna peddle, walk or drive by a Bank without going in, ain't, AIN'T no way; if it becomes a crime you can see me on 10 most wanted or maybe America's Most Wanted. :evil5: :walk: :icon_salut:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
It's the people doing the road trips. Tthey are scooping up all the silver brfore it get's shipped out.

In my opinion this alone is killing the box finds.

Mojo

This is true in part, however, there are many banks that have machines and the tellers will not let customers buy the bags under any circumstances. Assuming that the tellers seal up the bags when they are full and don't cherry pick, then those coins make it to the boxes untouched. If a grandpa coin collection dump comes in that machine it will make it into the boxes. I think when you have banks that only take in customer rolls, in most instances the keepers (at least 90%ers) are being cherry picked by the tellers. I have had good luck here and there with hand rolls, but my best scores have been bank machine bags (by far the best) and next Brinks boxes in the good old days (early 2008) before all the CRHers started up in my area.

I believe that the great increase in numbers in CRHers is what is killing the sport so to speak. That is why I am against the posting of pictures of stacks of 40%s and 90%s on here (I know I am the only one that feels this way, but who hasn't seen stacks of 40%s and 90%s of their own before?). I can see posting pictures of odd coins or if someone is trying to ID a coin. I think there are probably new lurkers that come on here who see pictures of hoards and become instant CRHers, whereas many of them might not take the time to read all the posts in detail that talk about the finds with posting numbers.

Jim

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
yea guys i agree
i always hear the same "i just handed them out routine"
i like rich have my normal banks on my route that it seems always get hit alittle in between my stops. I have gotten more silver in 1 rd trip them i have in all my boxes this yr combined. I started with the boxes 2 yrs ago. And i would get atleast 10-20 40%ers and a few 90's. Now your lucky if you hit silver. Ofcourse i should have changed my supplier months ago, I only order from BOA. This is why i started uping my dime boxes. I have done like 40+ dime boxs in the past few weeks and ive uped my dime reserve by 1/2. Like the halves used to be, with dimes, you can always count on silver. Not to mention i blow through a dime boxes in half the time it takes me to do a halves box, plus i average about 2-3 silvers a box. Plus the dimes add an extra bonus with the merc magnet helping LOL (she likes doing halves more then dimes)
this yr ive done 167 dime boxes with only 41 skunk boxes.
halves 97 boxes with 45 skunk boxes. thats almost half the boxes being skunks. With dimes there are times when il hit 5,7,8,10 silvers in a box. That never happends with halves, if i get any its one or 2 40%ers.
Now the way i see it every CRH hunts halves. Not every CRH hits dimes. Thats my new direction. Pound the dimes til that well runs dry to.
keith

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Jim,
You have a valid point about the posting pics. Myself I look at CRH with the hobby point of view, and looking at photo finds is both thriling and motivating.
One should also post their skunks too.
All of my dumps go in a machine. For the most part I notice that the bags are sealed when removed.
I also recently found out that many of these coin counters are owned by vending companies. They also could be set to reject silver, but are not.
This site got me into CRH. All of the people that I know would never do this hobby and probably think I'm a bit coo-coo for doing it.
Now that I think of it, besides my son Scooba, and Ugotit I don't know anyone who buys PM's or is a coin collector.
Sure I've run into CHRers, but I don't see a mad rush to the banks to get silver.
I would say my biggest competition are the tellers,by far.

HH
Rich

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Keith,

BOA probably has the worst half boxes. Their dime boxes are good though. Try ordering Halves from TD or Citizens. Webster used to be the best but they won't order boxes anymore. Peoples has good dime boxes but lousy half boxes.
Those dime do add up. I"d be taking a guess but I bet I'm edging toward 25 oz in dimes so far this year.
HH
Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
RH,

I consider tellers who take silver to be CRHers, so I do agree with you on that. I have found that fortunately for me, the banks that don't have a CRHing teller will usually have good hand rolls whenever they have them in stock, since they aren't being cherry picked. I have a couple of banks I go to like this and I can almost always get a few keepers from them but it takes a while for the rolls to come in. I have had a few solid rolls from these banks (90% and 40%). My area has gotten so crappy I only get hand rolls and machine bags here and there when I can. I don't order boxes anymore because one or more here are dumping like crazy and all you get are marked up halves in every box, with an occasional keeper or two.

But let's say a person is lucky enough to be the only real CRHer in his area and maybe he/she does 5-8 boxes a week (what I would consider average addiction level like I had), or maybe even there is another person only doing a couple of boxes here and there.

If a new CRHer starts up and does Silvercop style CRHing (20 or more boxes a week buying and dumping), then that new CRHer is gonna wipe you out for the most part. You might still get some here and there, but this hobby/sport/addiction is mainly a numbers game and the volume guy is gonna disturb your territory big time. There is no way to prevent this, and hopefully the newcomer will like FFD said burn out quickly and retire, leaving the territory back over to you.

Jim

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
A newbie will either have beginner's luck, or crash and burn after 1 or 2 attempts. ffd

You got that right! I'mma big DOA on half boxes. I'll just stick to my pennies. :happy3:

Hey, I got a 11-D awhile back. Better than a poke in the eye.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Rich Hartford said:
Keith,

BOA probably has the worst half boxes. Their dime boxes are good though. Try ordering Halves from TD or Citizens. Webster used to be the best but they won't order boxes anymore. Peoples has good dime boxes but lousy half boxes.
Those dime do add up. I"d be taking a guess but I bet I'm edging toward 25 oz in dimes so far this year.
HH
Rich

yea rich i remember you mentioning that to me last yr.
i think im going to start ordering from a td bank instead

ur right through i do do good on the dimes at boa

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ya know though, this is a hobbie and we all started to have some fun and find a bit of silver. I don't know about y'all but I am still finding more than I ever did Medal detecting. When things peter out I will just move on to something else. Probably just go find it in the ground.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread