Every time there is a discussion that can pit 2 machines against each other, , some people will take it as an attack on the machine they are currently using. As has already been said,, every machine has something about it that can be improved.
My first machine was a mail order "Beep & Dig" unit. It was purchased in 1970 while I was in the Navy.
We have come a long way.
My decision to purchase an AT PRO, was driven by a number of factors. The PRO is manufactured by Garrett and they have an excellent reputation as a very responsive "After Sales" company. The PRO is much lighter and better balanced than the Master Hunter CX II that I was using. I don't think anyone will dispute the water tight integrity advantage that the All Terrain PRO has. I used the PRO for 2 1/2 years. I truly enjoyed using the PRO. It found gold and silver jewelry on land and in fresh water. The clad I recovered paid for the machine in 18 months. I used the 5x8 coil because of it's ability to see through the trash. Mostly pull tabs and bottle caps. In both 2012 and 2013,, I recovered 25 silver coins each year.
Now let's move on to the E-Trac. Most of us have shared a hunt with a fellow hobbyist. At least I have. I had the good fortune of being invited to hunt a closed down psychiatric hospital by my friend Frank, aka, HungryGhost. He used an E-Trac while I used the PRO. Going over the same terrain over numerous hunts, Frank would out-silver me, 4 to 1. In 2013, Frank set a goal to find 100 silver coins. I believe, at the end of the year, his final tally was 110. Totally convinced that it had to be the machine. I began a search for the best price on an E-Trac. I purchased an E-Trac from a forum member for $900. The forum member had used it 3 times and couldn't make heads or tails out of it. He also wasn't crazy about it's weight. I took it off his hands.
I followed the "100 Hour" suggestion trying to understand what the machine was trying to tell me.
I noticed right away that the E-Trac will scream at you when it's coil passes over silver. It also has the ability to get your attention when a silver coin is sharing a hole with a piece of iron. It can see through the mask that iron puts out. In my first year (2014), using the E-Trac, my silver coin finds, jumped to 81 coins. In 2015, I set a 100 silver coin goal. I finished the year with a total of 158 silver coins.
One shortcoming I always worried about with the E-Trac was the fact that it doesn't like water. On numerous hunts, a plastic bag was at the ready to be placed over the unit's control box.
The E-Trac isn't known for it's ability to find gold. Although I have found gold with the E-Trac, the PRO has done much better.
Today, my primary machines are the CTX 3030, and the DEUS. I have pulled out the E-Trac to go over a few silver producing spots that have gone dry.
Someday I may just dedicate a few hunts with the PRO to investigate all signals from 40 to 65. I would like to know how many gold rings I may have ignored because I didn't believe the tone was right.
Well there you have it. I enjoy my PRO as well as my E-Trac but they are 2 different machines. In giving an unbiased opinion based on the production from both machines,, I believe that the hobby of Treasure Hunting is a school from which there is no graduation. There is always a new tool, machine , research, location, book, or tip to be investigated.
I will allow you to make your choices and advance at your own pace. HH