Why would anyone wear camouflage while metal detecting?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does he think he's keeping a low profile by wearing camo? To tell you the truth, it seemed kind of weird to me. What's your thoughts on this?
perhaps he's hunting for coins and since he's 'hunting' figured he'd wear camo. People are strange especially in this hobby. Not all but some for sure. Maybe he doesn't know any better during 'hunting' season - that's possible. Maybe he's practicing Monty Python's "how not to be seen?" Got to keep laughin'

Monty Python: How Not To Be Seen​

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess they think it makes them look cool. No clue. I don't do any work anymore where I have a need for camo, but some of my clothes have a camo pattern and many don't. I wear what's appropriate for the weather conditions. In hunting season, best to have some blaze orange on or just not go in the woods. I'm still trying to figure out why some people wear shorts and flipflops or go barefoot in rattlesnake country.
That would be me, the shorts and sneakers. Better protection. I was wearing shorts and sneakers when I saw this guy.

1196-8x10.JPG

THIS guy was wearing the camo.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
No thank you. You can keep those.
Yeah, you can keep them. Our Bad ass Browns may be nuts venomous, but they get out of our way. They do.
You guys can keep your bad Rattlers no thanks. As well as your Bears and Mounts Lions and Wolves. Im happy with my little killers here like snakes, spiders and ants! And sea snakes, killer jellyfish, rock fish.... dingoes.....err...can we do a swap!? 👍
But seriously, you guys have some mad need to carry and pack creatures there! We have venomous kill stuff lurking everywhere, for crying our loud the last 2 weeks was nuts with waking up with deadly spiders it drove us nuts! Could anyone say this "im glad I wake up a few times a night as Im getting older to pee, and am happy to do so as I see CRAP ASS SPIDERS on the walls to SPRAY & KILL!
Anywho, happy detecting all. 🤪

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, you can keep them. Our Bad ass Browns may be nuts venomous, but they get out of our way. They do.
You guys can keep your bad Rattlers no thanks. As well as your Bears and Mounts Lions and Wolves. Im happy with my little killers here like snakes, spiders and ants! And sea snakes, killer jellyfish, rock fish.... dingoes.....err...can we do a swap!? 👍
But seriously, you guys have some mad need to carry and pack creatures there! We have venomous kill stuff lurking everywhere, for crying our loud the last 2 weeks was nuts with waking up with deadly spiders it drove us nuts! Could anyone say this "im glad I wake up a few times a night as Im getting older to pee, and am happy to do so as I see CRAP ASS SPIDERS on the walls to SPRAY & KILL!
Anywho, happy detecting all. 🤪
Australia is home to 20 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the world.
Gee I'm jealous actually you have a program non the telly that says it all.
" 72 dangerous animals Australia"
We have a passive bunch of critters over here, heck most sleep all winter as it's so boring. :laughing7:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I was surprised to see the small patches of trees in between shopping complexes that he was asked to remove deer from. maybe 100x200 feet."

Asked to kill? That sucks! Really...deer?
well considering the only predator down there for them is cars it is kind of necessary. If left unchecked the deer population gets too high and things like disease and starvation happen.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just seems odd to wear camo while metal detecting. Sorry if you think there's more to it.
I personally would link the word "Odd" to Transgenderism, Homosexuality, and all these folks who "Identify" to being something far, far away from what they actually are. An example of this would be for instance, A Unicorn. Not Cammo clothing, but then, this is just me.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally would link the word "Odd" to Transgenderism, Homosexuality, and all these folks who "Identify" to being something far, far away from what they actually are. An example of this would be for instance, A Unicorn. Not Cammo clothing, but then, this is just me.
Now that's odd!

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well considering the only predator down there for them is cars it is kind of necessary. If left unchecked the deer population gets too high and things like disease and starvation happen.

Deer are also said to be one of the few animals other than man that spread That Virus.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's odd you even question why he was wearing camo

Sorry, but it is odd to wear camo metal detecting. And if I saw a guy in full camo walking around at a school or ballfield, I'd call the cops on him. Even if he had a metal detector with him. Let the cops figure out if he's got PTSD or has some other mental issue.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, but it is odd to wear camo metal detecting. And if I saw a guy in full camo walking around at a school or ballfield, I'd call the cops on him. Even if he had a metal detector with him. Let the cops figure out if he's got PTSD or has some other mental issue.
What about demonic tattooed detectorists? They get the cops called on them too?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on Tim. What, pray tell, do you wear while metal detecting? As mentioned above, outdoor clothing ( camo ) is more durable, comfortable, and you can get it dirty and muddy with no concern. Personally, I don't have a different set of clothes for every activity. Sometimes camo ends up on my body when metal detecting. I really didn't know I was frightening anyone. It never occurred to me that the cops were coming. I wasn't aware camo was a banner for PTSD. Half of this state experiences PTSD from September to January every year. Lot's of PTSD folks running dogs in the woods, sitting half crazy in a blind by a dove field or set of deeks. And they have guns with them! Long guns!

Lighten up. We mean you no harm.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My about-to-be-a-son-in-law wore a T-shirt and old jeans to his wedding. Wasn't even a new or cool T-shirt. I believe it was a Budweiser shirt. I should have called the cops then. I told him I was glad he dressed to go to work because I needed his help in the yard after the vows were said. No accounting for style. That union lasted just a couple of years ( surprised it lasted so long ). Sometimes fashion denotes character.

Edit: HE didn't have a wedding outfit to wear.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Imagine if this camo detecting person was also swinging a $1500.00 detector.
You'd have PTSD.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about demonic tattooed detectorists? They get the cops called on them too?

They would have every right to do that. I do look like a serial killer and the Skynyrd skull tattoo doesn't help things! That's why I detect schools and ballfields when there's no one around. As soon as anyone shows up, I'm out of there.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes fashion denotes character.

Exactly. Most people who feel the need to wear camo are harmless, but it can also be a warning sign that something's off. If you're wearing it for comfort or style, so be it. But if you're wearing it because you can't let go of your former military service (or wished you were in the military) then it can be a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread