Breezie
Gold Member
- Joined
- Oct 3, 2009
- Messages
- 6,278
- Reaction score
- 2,120
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- North Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
dozer dan said:could be its not a handle but the handle screws into the threaded part.
my wag?? dead blow hammer.
johnnyi said:I think you're going down the wrong road with 'handle". It looks more like a ferrule of some sort. Whatever was held in the wide groove was held there partly by what went through the hole in the side. As Dan said, the handle, if their was one, was what screwed into the threaded end. Thanks Johnny; I measured the diameter of the threaded neck, and if closed it would be 1/4 inch, so with your & Dan's theory, the handle would be more like a small rod because of the size.
[/b]vayank54 said:That's a wierd one Breezie. Yep, leave it to me to drag something weird out of the ground; lol. it could be something field madeI agree, it does look field made to me. from the civil war I've dug several lead handles for bowies knives or tools in camps. Is there a small hole or a broken screw on either of the flat ends?No, the only hole is the one on the front side. If there is it could be a hand stamp. They would put lettered blocks inside to spell their name or what ever they wanted to stamp. They had a small screw on one end to hold the blocks. If it's not that then I have no idea. Join the club. .. .I do think it is a handle instead of the handle being missing because it is only 2 inches wide. If it were vice versa, the handle would have to be a tiny rod. We're headed out today to do an early 1800's yard; hopefully by tonight I'll have something interesting to post. Breezie
. TonyTony, Yes, it is lead and has a nice white patina like the CW bullets. As you can see it weights 80 grams, and is only 2 inches long. I think vayank is pretty much on tap, but it doesn't have the side hole like he was talking about. I do believe it was hand made. Thanks, BreezieTony in SC said:Are you sure it's lead and not pot metal. Lead is not a good metal for threads because it's so soft. Threading a piece of metal is something that is not usually done in the field. So I think is is probably shop made. Lawn mower starter rope handles were not threaded. When I first saw it I thought 50's or 60's park brake handle. What ever it is you sure got people thinking on this one![]()
. Tony
vayank54 said:Is there a small hole or a broken screw on either of the flat ends? If there is it could be a hand stamp. They would put lettered blocks inside to spell their name or what ever they wanted to stamp. They had a small screw on one end to hold the blocks.
(Wow! I cant believe you IDed this one. I can see where the loose type pieces would go. Amazing ID Breeze and vayank.Breezie said:I marked this one solved after downloading this pic of a Hand Stamp from the Internet. Thanks to all, Breezie
IS, yes, the piece is bent and originally was flat on the top to allow the letter and/or a plate to fit just inside the open area at the top. I'm adding this theory: I think the impression of the letter "P" and part of the other letter, was made when this Hand Stamp was broken, then disgarded, probably in a fire. I found black ash/coal looking grains packed hard inside of it, as if it had been exposed to a fire. The heat from the fire probably melted the lead enough to cause an impression of the left-over letters.IronSpike said:The piece is bent and was original flat/level or would a stamp plate insert provide that![]()