What's new

Wife got another good box

packerbacker

Gold Member
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
8,350
Reaction score
2,992
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She called me at work to tell me she was getting another box that she had forgotten she ordered. She went through them before I got home. She found 2 90% Kennedys and 44 of the 40%ers! She said she would have missed quite a few of them if she had just edge searched due to the wear on them. Makes me wonder if I really got skunked on my last box or did I miss some by just edge searching. ???
 
Upvote 0
I think that happens all to often, I still look at all the dates, & I am glad I do that otherwise I would have missed a few myself!
 
No matter what anyone says anyone can miss a few. Particularly if you get a box that is loaded...or a box that is mostly skunk. Particularly if your an edge checker like myself.

I doubt many on here will admit it...or know it. but we have all skipped over a coin here and there.

I know that I double check when dumping into the public coin counters thats usually when I find odd ball proofs and I have found a couple 40s and yes....one 90 But I do have to say I am impressed with the averages considering how much I dump and search though. I am surprised its not more that pop up during the double check.
However, that brings up the fact that, if you get a rich box. they all start looking the same after a while, probably why tellers miss em and others too. A double check particularly when you get a lot of 40s and worn 40s is never a bad Idea.
better to double check and swallow some pride for what you missed than lose silver right!
 
That is why I check all of the dates in every box I get - it still only takes 20-35 minutes to go through one box. i have found, maybe, 5-6 40's I'd have missed, as well as a couple of Clad Commems. I also found a 64 that looked like a clad once - that was from a bag, and it was the only silver, so I assume it was edge checked, and the first person missed it.
 
I've never just edge checked. I would have missed a bunch if I didn't look at the dates. I also check all the 74-Ds and for missing FGs so looking at them all is a must. It takes about 30min a box.
 
God I hope I never missed any 90's or 40's I musta missed a few 87's and 74 dde's though. When i'm in a hurry and simply scan the edges I have a method in wich I let the roll of coins slide/drop from one hand to the other and listen for tha beautiful ringigng sound that only silver can make. Try it I hope I have helped someone out today, if not better luck for me when I re search roll you migt have turned in. LOL

Mojo
 
I'm with Jeweler Dave on this one. I just edge search mostly and always dump in a coin counter. I've dumped many boxes this way and only found I missed one 40%'er.

-Brian

(when I use to search dimes this way I found I missed a handful of those, but now I've found a plastic wrapper source ... I'll take my chances with that any day!)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom