What's new

Wikiup rings

kuger

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
2,803
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians used sagebrush to form huts or Wikiups.I have come across thousands of the rock rings that still exist today.Here are couple pics of one or two
Paiute_woman_grinding_seeds_in_doorway_of_thatched_hut,_small_boy_in_foreground,_1872_-_NARA_...webpPaiute_1.webppoints 037.webppoints 035.webp

I dont know if this was a sacred site or what,but it was unlike any I have ever seen,had rock etchings,and gave off a feel like I have never felt any where since
points 036.webppoints 038.webppoints 039.webpI have many pics of rock art...many that quite possibly have not been seen by anybody but me,in hundreds of years...I will put a few up as time allows
 
Upvote 0
rofl...when I talk about these rings, people have told me I am stupid....

too funny kuger...good photographs...


some old stone art there? I thought you were up in calif?

wikiup's are southwestern structures.
 
........I am all over Amigo :thumbsup: Let em laugh,as I said I can show ya literally THOUSANDS of them.I know of one camp that has over 500 of them.I can show ya Teepee (Lodge)rings in Montana as well

No idea about the age of the art,I fortunatly photographed a great many I came across through the years but no idea about age or meaning
points 040.webp
 
..you mentioned Cali....here is one for ya,that happens to be in Calif.It is on a large private Ranch,and nobody for many generations ever could say,who built it and for what?I can tell ya,it took some unreal engineering and pics dont do it justice
points 041.webppoints 042.webp
 
miniature Stonehenge?

:laughing7: oddly enough,thats what the few people that have got to see it have refereed to it as.Some claim it was a Grizzly trap,which is semi plausible.The area was infested with Grizzlies and they had Bear -Bull fights near by,but I have seen quite a few of those traps and none look like this
 
Those are way cool:thumbsup: the natives in my area had only mud and logs. You use what you have.:occasion14:
 
hello kuger.id really like to see some of the rock art you have.thanks.
 
hello kuger.id really like to see some of the rock art you have.thanks.
Its terrible that I am having to take pictures of pictures but in my days of adventure we had this stuff call film!!:laughing7: I will see if I can get better results than I have experieced as of yet and see if any can be interpreted
 
Very awesome thanks for sharing !!!!!! Learning new things is great
 
As you said, there are many Tipi rings or stone circles here in Montana, that number to a few to up to a hundred in one area. Hope it is okay to share a photo of some.


Folder #1 170.webp Folder #1 172.webp

Folder #1 173.webp
 
Last edited:
Please do,if you have more,and thanks!!!I looked and looked and dont have any of my pics here where I am at
 
my cousins acreage in Nevada has several of these rock bed platforms under the small junipers (which as I am sure you know my be small but are hundreds of years old)...and then there is this one....looks like a grave site ring of rocks with some sort of symbol in the middle of placed stones. You can't really tell too well but he symbol is very much like the constellation "cygnus". The place she owns is covered with scrapers and flakes and rock cairns...she just leaves them in situ...I will look for my other Piute rock art pictures too....
 

Attachments

  • IMGP0427.webp
    IMGP0427.webp
    220.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMGP0428.webp
    IMGP0428.webp
    220.8 KB · Views: 147
:occasion14: keep em coming!!I am glad I dont have any hair left,or I wuld have pulled it out looking for pic's I know I have!!

I need to say,I used Wikiup",that may not be the right word,for this area.....the Indian people of the area have always called them "Hootchums",I have no idea if that is the proper name,but that is what they use...."Hootchum Rings"
 
Last edited:
"hootch" means something else to me....
 
old digger
user-offline.png

​
silver.gif
us.png
Dennis
Jan 2012
Montana
White's MXT
2,840
1196 times
All Types Of Treasure Hunting

When I am out and about I need to take more pictures of those Tipi rings. I personally have not chanced upon any, but up in the higher altitudes (above 7000 ft.) of some of the local mountain ranges are some really old lodge pole frame shelters. Back in the day the native American hunters would follow the buffalo and other indigenous game as some of them would migrate to the higher altitudes to escape from the biting flies. The native Americans would also hunt the Bighorn sheep which would also seek the higher altitudes during the summer months for the nutrient grasses, and return to the lower elevations during the late fall and winters. I have heard that there are some of those shelters around, maybe one of these day I may be lucky to find one.

Here is one more photo that I have. There were only about three or four Tipi rings in this one area, so I presume that a small family group camped there.





​
 
Last edited:
lodge poles are heavy, even with a truck, difficult to move... prior to canvas being introduced, a large buffalo skin lodge were hundreds of pounds of skin.
 
lodge poles are heavy, even with a truck, difficult to move... prior to canvas being introduced, a large buffalo skin lodge were hundreds of pounds of skin.

:laughing7:..Had big plans to use half my Buff hide(The front half went to the massive shoulder mount)as a bed spread....wrong!!!Unless you like the feeling of a 100 lb's on your chest!!I dont know for fact what it weighs,but it is HEAVY....keeps ya warm though!!
 
..the mini Stonehenge is...the picto's are Nevada....I meant to take some pictures of some pictures of more this weekend and didnt get to it.....I will
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom