Winter Hunting Question?

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Winter hunting has been good on silver finds, but gold continues to be elusive for me.

The winter winds have "shaved" much sand off the beaches....I like that about winter hunting.

But some days at the beach just produce fresh air and exercise - like today :$0.36 plus what you see in the pic below is all I found .:icon_pale:

DSCF1972.JPG

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm not getting out much at all so i cant really say! got one small gold ring in the past month(about 4 hunts total)!! haven't been talking to other hunters either except for one from this forum by pm and he is doing pretty good. i'm here on the spacecoast and hes a little north of me. harold, where are you located? spring break and new drops are very close!!!!

chuck.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been the worst year I have ever seen in Fl. in the past 35 years. The RED tide down here has been very bad and know one is going in the water. I went to the beach today and after 30 mins. my eye where burning nose was running and there is dead fish every where.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thousands of dead fish on Sanibel Island there slowly picking them all up.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
The beaches around Anna maria island are being hunted by too many. Last time I was there, the red tide was in and doing its worst on tourists and the fish. Hope things improve very shortly. I miss the occasional piece of jewelry.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Jacksonville yesterday....beach is flat....lots of sand. I dug a few greenies, but slim pickins.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well Harold for me this is my third winter hunting and since I just moved down here it isn't a good comparison but so far, Lake Erie last winter I had two gold rings already.... its been 6 weeks since my last gold down here in Fl. I've put in 3 times as much time hunting since being retired and haven't spent much time at any one beach in the attempt to learn more places down here but those I have met are struggling to come up with any good finds. Your favorite beach is hit hard by many and most tourist aren't spending much time in the water, along with that, any beach structure that had been there has been filled in more since the latest storm moved through the other day. That storm moved lots of lighter targets from the dry down into the wet sand. The other night I thought I was using a PI I was digging so much and most of the targets were half beaver tails (sounded really good), pull tabs and can slaw.

Cliff

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two biggest challenges right now are; A) - the absence of people on the beach providing new drops and, B) - the lack of significant sand movement.

Can't do anything about about the first issue, however, the beach is still loaded with targets if you can figure out how to access them. New sand typically arrives in a series of thin layers, slowly building and crawling its way up the slope of the beach. The closer you get to the waterline the more new sand you will encounter. With no new drops being provided in this zone and the absence of significant sand movement to expose existing targets this lower beach can quickly become a dead zone. On the other hand, the steeper the slope of the beach the better the odds of success on the upper portion of the beach because sand will build up more slowly here. On really flat slopes you're just screwed until those fresh drops start showing up again or these is enough sand movement to expose those deeper targets. On the lower beach you need this same significant sand movement in order to expose the deeper existing targets that exist there as well.

The only other way to battle this new sand buildup is by knowing what portions of the beach have the shallowest shell packs as targets here will stratify much sooner and they will likewise be easier be access then those in the soft deep sand. These are areas you can look for simply by taking a stroll on the beach and probing the beach, and/or by digging a few scoops every now and then to see how deep the fresh sand is. "Accessible Hardpack"....that's what you're looking for, areas of firmer strata on the beach that you can actually access. Every beach will have sections of this firmer, shallower strata. Swinging a coil over targets you can't access isn't very productive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm located in lakeland, and mostly hunt the west coast, been a lot of sand just waiting for it to clear some.

OP
OP
H

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cliff, i'll tell ya i've been doing it for many years and this is the worst i've seen it, either so much sand and nobody in the water, some days it's like walking with your machine shut off and i have run my coil by my scoop and make sure it's working, hope it picks up, with this price of gold their are so many detectors out here and the pickings are getting slimmer, we'll have to meet up again and do some hunting, harold

Atlas

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are killing me with the poor reports. I've got a FLA trip planned for later this week and am planning on hitting the beaches along the treasure cost. I've been on these beaches before many times and we kind of joke around about "Breaking a Buck" and many times its a good day if we do.

Are the red tides on the East Coast?

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys are killing me with the poor reports. I've got a FLA trip planned for later this week and am planning on hitting the beaches along the treasure cost. I've been on these beaches before many times and we kind of joke around about "Breaking a Buck" and many times its a good day if we do.Are the red tides on the East Coast?
Red Tide is effecting the west coast of Florida.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
im new to metal detecting but how do you get out when you got snow and the gorund is frozen? <- wisconsin

If things are frozen over, it is the best time for research places and upgrades to your gear. Harold, Further north, the Mid-Atlantic region things are surfacing that Sandy washed ashore several months ago.

And thank you for all the input on the Headphones.....

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red tide started early last year and hasnt let up. So not as many people got in the water during the summer with those signs. Then came the week or two of that storm that kicked everything up .... and buried it. Then we had mounds of sand and still do. About time it starts looking good the Red tide rolls in or the tide push the and pull the sand. Not many targets out there where im hunting and ive been using a PI.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread