Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

As many of you know, the Iron Brigade has been trying to find a difficult housesite for a week now. After two separate hunts leaving empty handed, and double and triple-checking the GPS coordinates, and more research, I'm pleased to say that we finally found it. :)

Since it was *only* going to be 93 degrees today ::) , we got an early start. After arriving on the site and entering the new GPS coordinates, we loaded our gear into our packs and got deep into the woods. To be honest, neither of us felt much like getting into those same woods that we'd been swallowed up and beaten by the last two hunts. On our way in, we realized that we weren't alone. This little baby was sitting there stock still. The only thing moving were its nostrils.

6-05-08 Deer.jpg

After a good hike through the brush, we got to our location and set up base camp.

Well...those changes to the coordinates I made since last hunt Certainly paid off. We took about ten steps away from base camp toward the east and found the iron patch. :thumbsup: Although we'd not had a good iron patch to whet our appetites in several hunts, I wasn't quite convinced yet. Not until that first cooking pot fragment, eating utensil, cast iron stove piece, or other housesite item came up would I be ready to do some dancing...

It didn't take long. The first decent target I got was a suspender clip. We gave some Serious high-fives and Hallelujah's, then started the Serious hunting. Here's Rodeo beating back the brushy, ticky woods with his Ace 250:

6-05-08 Rodeo Brush.jpg

We dug some harmonica reeds and pewter spoon fragments, but the targets were very thin and the iron patch was very small--perhaps 30' x 30'. It appears that the structure was an old log cabin. There was no trace of it--not even foundation stones or a cellar hole. I think the small size of the iron patch was one of the reasons we didn't find it earlier. I also think that the geography played a role as well. There are lots of small knolls everywhere--each of which could easily have been the site of the house.

We brought a tarp with us--so that we could have a place to sit or lie down without the Ticks crawling up us the whole time. With the forecast High Temperature being what it was, I didn't want to take chances on us running out of energy. And so we took breaks between shifts of hunting throughout the morning to lay on the tarp and relax a bit. Here I am having a leisurely, sweaty cigarette on a Highly Flammable Tarp deep in the Tick-Infested Woods. ;D

6-05-08 Buckles Lazy Smoke.jpg

Now let me preface this part by saying that most of the time I don't thumb the knobs on my Fisher 1266-X before I dig--unless it is an "iffy" signal to begin with. It's faster to just dig it out of the ground.

Well... I got a typical signal just like any other (the analog users will understand)...but what I didn't know is that if I had thumbed the knobs on the Fisher it would've read Strong "Coin"--probably "Quarter." So it was a Beautiful surprise when I saw this in the hole:

6-05-08 Coppa!.jpg

It was an excellent Large Cent--1851. :thumbsup:

Here's a photo I took of it back at the car after the hunt:

6-05-08 LC Dirty.jpg

So we continued to work the site hard, drinking up and sweating off gallons in the process. A few more interesting items came up, including some nice suspender clips for Rodeo Recon, and a GREAT little buckle. When the finds had become very slim, we packed our gear and headed home.

Here are the cleaned up clips, buckle, and Large Cent:

6-05-08 Clips, Buckle, LC.jpg

And all of the iron, tin roofing, and junk we dug to get the goodies:

6-05-08 Everything.jpg

And of course, some photos of the cleaned-up LC. I only used water and a soft tootbrush, since the coin seemed like it wasn't very corroded.

6-05-08 LC Obverse.jpg

6-05-08 LC Reverse.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unclejesse67 said:
Nice finds. Way to go on the LC. Looks like you guys definitley go through some discomfert to find the old virgin sites.

The way I see it, discomfort fades quickly...but good finds can always be admired.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find , Pics , and Post Buck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Glad your hard work payed off. I would feed a few ticks for a nice LC like that one.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Handsome even when yer all sweaty too. :wink: :D You Iron Brigader's must be tough as nails to hunt in those conditions! :o My camo hat's off to ya! Super finds, and congrats on finding that site. I had no doubt that you'd find it.

Nana :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Ladies, now I'm blushing. :-*

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the dedication and commitment. That is what sets relic hunting apart. It takes ALOT of research and many times you can strike out before you hit it. Nice finds Will, and the Large Cent certainly is a beauty. Those ticks are killing us over here in Eastern Virginia too.....and that is just one more thing besides that stated above and the stagnant heat....that we have to put up with. Great Job buddy! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bonzaibrandi

Apr 19, 2008
I wish I could have gone. The tarp is a great thought, though. And to think I could have been a sandwich....hmm. Glad I stayed to have the AC turned on for you sweaty boys though, and particularly impressed you persevered in finding your small, but obviously worth it spot. Contrast is good on the LC, but I like the color. By the way, I'd follow you both into the woods anytime. You guys are great.. Love, Bb

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
Man,why don't you leave those sites for late fall/winter when the folliage,heat and ticks are down.There are too many very bad diseases carried by ticks to risk it.No matter how much DEET you use in that setting ,some are going to get you.

I think they buy there DEET in a 55 gallon drum. To answer your first question about hunting in winter well I know these guys well and I think they would hunt if it was 110 in the shade on top of a nuclear waste dump if they thought there was a piece of brass there! They got the "passion" like I have NEVER seen in my life. I wish I could handle those conditions but I have a few years on them and kinda wimpy. :)

KFB

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! The LC, buckle and fawn are awesome. I have just joined the "wimp brigade" after two weeks of a regime of antibiotics, pednisone and swollen lymph nodes due to a tick bite. Still have the swollen node - made need surgery. I will be waiting until the winter to hunt the woods next time.

Besides the beach has bikinis and plenty of them - beats ticks and poison ivy any day. That LC was there for 160 years she can wait until winter.

Again, great find, and I give it to you guys for taking the chances - "first there is first to find".

TE

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post BB...and SWEET large cent. I NEVER find any of those. Found my first and ONLY last year. Great pics and story :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
LI Tom said:
Man,why don't you leave those sites for late fall/winter when the folliage,heat and ticks are down.There are too many very bad diseases carried by ticks to risk it.No matter how much DEET you use in that setting ,some are going to get you.

I think they buy there DEET in a 55 gallon drum. To answer your first question about hunting in winter well I know these guys well and I think they would hunt if it was 110 in the shade on top of a nuclear waste dump if they thought there was a piece of brass there! They got the "passion" like I have NEVER seen in my life. I wish I could handle those conditions but I have a few years on them and kinda wimpy. :)

KFB

Hey Will, I will see you this fall buddy. We are GOING hunting. Either I will come out your way or you can come out mine as I have some FINE fortification to put you on over here, or I will come out there to those beautiful fields of greeen in KEN-TUCK-Y! :wink:

L

lovedigging

Thumbs up buckleboy, Enjoyed your story and the pictures. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
nice lge. buckle, and love the fawn and other finds. i found two black bear cubs one day. we made a very hasty retreat. talk about nasty mammas. we didn't see her, thank you! bill

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
ugotit22 said:
nice stuff. Good reseaqrch too
I have a question. Where and how do you go about researching an area? i know of a house that was built in the 1850s that still stands within my area but what about others? I mean I live about 4 miles outside of town and I have massive woods in all directions of my house. I would assume there was at one time a house or two in those woods since the area used to be farm lands years and years ago

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread